Modem/Soundcard/Printer/Gnome

Post by krusty.. » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

I am a Linux Newbie, and I am having one hell of a time trying to
configure Mandrake 6.0 to make each piece of hardware work. I have a
Gateway G6-400 with a P2 400MHz with 256 MB RAM and a 14GB hard disk. I
use a Gateway Telepath 56k v.90 modem and a SoundBlaster/Ensoniq 64
sound card that is sautered onto the motherboard.

My Questions:

1. How do you configure the modem in Linux? In Windows, my modem uses
COM2. It is also installed in an ISA slot in the bottom of my computer
case. When I try to configure it with Kppp, it will recoginze the modem,
but all the ATI commands are blank. Is there anything else that I need
to know about my modem, and how do I configure it?

2. This concerns my sound card. As I said earlier, I use an SB/Ensoniq
64 sound card that is sautered onto the board. When I use the sndconfig
program to config. it, it sees it as an ES1371. Then, when it goes to
play the sample sound to test the card, I get this "cryptic" error
message with words that I don't know. Is it the sound card commands, and
what else do I need to know about my sound card in order to get it to
work?

3. When the X Window system is installing X, and you are selecting the
monitor resolution you want to run, it will give you an option to start
X when you start your system, skipping the command line. Whaat I want to
know is how do you start the GNOME desktop if you chose not to let X
start automattically, and you are at a command line?

Interesting note:
I did not intend to devote the entire computer to Linux. I wanted to set
it up as a dual-boot system, with both Win-98 and Linux on the same HD.
I didn't know what I was doing at the time, and when I went to partiton
the HD using fdisk, I accedentially deleted everything, inclding
Windows. I have learned from this mistake, and now I am looking to put
Windows back and have it co-exist with Linux.

Alex Cabinian

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Post by Henrik Carlqvis » Mon, 30 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> 1. How do you configure the modem in Linux? In Windows, my modem uses
> COM2. It is also installed in an ISA slot in the bottom of my
> computer case.

Do you find any line looking something like this at boot:

 tty01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A

Otherwise you might have a pnp modem which you will have to rejumper for
non-pnp mode or run isa-pnp-tools. If you are really out of luck you
might not even have a modem but a winmodem.

Quote:> when it goes to play the sample sound to test the card, I get this
> "cryptic" error message with words that I don't know.

You might find someone who understands this error and is able to explain
it to you if you also post the error.

Quote:> Whaat I want to know is how do you start the GNOME desktop if you
> chose not to let X start automattically, and you are at a command
> line?

startx

Quote:> I accedentially deleted everything, inclding Windows. I have learned
> from this mistake,

It also seems as if you have learned what backups are for :-)

regards Henrik

--
spammer strikeback:

1. Debian 2.2.16 - HP Printer, Zoom ISA modem, soundcard

My current distribution of Linux (Debian 2.2.16 via the Corel Linux OS
Deluxe package) doesn't seem to support my Zoom ISA modem (model 2919L), HP
Deskjet printer (model 842C), or Sound Blaster ISA sound card (model 16
wave -AWE).  Furthermore it hasn't done an autoconfiged for the 3.5" floppy
drive.

According to the vendor sites the printer and modem are supported under
later releases of Ghostscript and the Linux Kernel.  Being a "newbie" on the
Linux platform this brings up several issues where I need some advice:

(1) Does it make more sense to scrap the current install and use the newer
distribution of Debian (3.0) or Mandrake (9.0)?  Or is it still reasonable
to acquire just the  kernel and Ghostscript file (if yes, which "script"
files) and use the Updater utility?

(2) Does the "official" basic distribution include a C/C++ compiler and UNIX
tools such as Pearl?

(3) What steps (or documentation) is necessary to help me configure the
floppy drive (and possibly the sound card?

2. Network Unreachable???

3. Recognizing my modem, printer, soundcard...

4. some linux server questions for a demented school assignment

5. Printer prints from ttyS0 (modem port), but how from ttyS1 (printer port)?

6. Iomega Jaz Drive support

7. some soundcard and printer problem

8. RH newbie needs your help

9. setting up soundcard and printer

10. soundcard and printer

11. adding a second soundcard and losing the first soundcard

12. Modem and soundcard problems

13. Newbie - modem and soundcard