SGS THOMSON DX2-66 any good ?

Post by Andy Hea » Sat, 18 May 1996 04:00:00

SGS THOMSON DX2-66

I'm wanting to speed up a box with an SX-25 (Intel chip).
The motherboard manual says I can put a dx2-66 in.
There doesn't seem to be any intel 2-66 chips around now.

This Thomson is really cheap (17 uk pounds).

Anybody got one ?  Is it any good or lots of trouble

Will Linux run with it ?

Please COPY replies to

as well as the newsgroup as my newsgroup access
isn't always reliable.

Andy

SGS THOMSON DX2-66 any good ?

Post by Andy Hea » Sat, 18 May 1996 04:00:00

SGS THOMSON DX2-66

I'm wanting to speed up a box with an SX-25 (Intel chip).
The motherboard manual says I can put a dx2-66 in.
There doesn't seem to be any intel 2-66 chips around now.

This Thomson is really cheap (17 uk pounds).

Anybody got one ?  Is it any good or lots of trouble

Will Linux run with it ?

Please COPY replies to

as well as the newsgroup as my newsgroup access
isn't always reliable.

Andy

SGS THOMSON DX2-66 any good ?

Post by Rainer M. Canav » Wed, 22 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> SGS THOMSON DX2-66

> I'm wanting to speed up a box with an SX-25 (Intel chip).
> The motherboard manual says I can put a dx2-66 in.
> There doesn't seem to be any intel 2-66 chips around now.

> This Thomson is really cheap (17 uk pounds).

> Anybody got one ?  Is it any good or lots of trouble

> Will Linux run with it ?

I upgraded my overclocked 486sx/25 (40MHz) to a ST486DX2/80. Works really fine with the
intel DX/2 setting of my Board and is sufficiently fast, but AFAIK not as fast as a AMD
or INTEL. The ST chips seem not to have the same 1st level cache performance as the
others do. But still fast enough and it's sure worth its price.

Maybe you should also consider the 80MHz version, (should work if your board supports
40MHz Chips (maybe it's too old to know of DX2/80s)) as it shouldn't be that much more
expensive.

SGS THOMSON DX2-66 any good ?

Post by Tony Mountifie » Sat, 25 May 1996 04:00:00

> SGS THOMSON DX2-66

> I'm wanting to speed up a box with an SX-25 (Intel chip).
> The motherboard manual says I can put a dx2-66 in.
> There doesn't seem to be any intel 2-66 chips around now.

> This Thomson is really cheap (17 uk pounds).

> Anybody got one ?  Is it any good or lots of trouble

> Will Linux run with it ?

I don't know about using it with Linux, but I upgraded my sister's PC
from a 386SX40 with a new motherboard and the SGS DX2-66. Setting the
Motherboard links for a standard DX2-66 didn't work properly. The CMOS
setup was OK, but as soon as it tried to boot DOS it froze.

It turned out that the links needed to be set up as if it was a Cyrix M7
- goodness knows why, but when that was done it all worked fine.

Just thought it would be useful info in case you came across a similar
problem.

Tony.

--
Tony Mountifield        |  Software Insight Ltd.  |  Tel: +44 1962 851320

PGP Key fingerprint: 16 F6 C6 B9 49 FD A0 50  51 5E C4 A1 21 43 90 5F

SGS THOMSON DX2-66 any good ?

Post by C. Liddel » Sun, 26 May 1996 04:00:00

> > SGS THOMSON DX2-66

> > I'm wanting to speed up a box with an SX-25 (Intel chip).
> > The motherboard manual says I can put a dx2-66 in.
> > There doesn't seem to be any intel 2-66 chips around now.

> > This Thomson is really cheap (17 uk pounds).

> > Anybody got one ?  Is it any good or lots of trouble

> > Will Linux run with it ?

> I don't know about using it with Linux, but I upgraded my sister's PC
> from a 386SX40 with a new motherboard and the SGS DX2-66. Setting the
> Motherboard links for a standard DX2-66 didn't work properly. The CMOS
> setup was OK, but as soon as it tried to boot DOS it froze.

> It turned out that the links needed to be set up as if it was a Cyrix M7
> - goodness knows why, but when that was done it all worked fine.

> Just thought it would be useful info in case you came across a similar
> problem.

> Tony.The reason the motherboard jumper settings were like that was because

the SGS DX266 is a Cyrix M7, which is the proper name for Cyrix's
486DX266 compatible chip.

Just thought I'd pass that on.

Regards,

Chris Liddell

1. Linux on the SGS-Thompson DX2-66 Chip

Has anyone tried linux with the SGS-Thompson DX2-66 chip?
Any horror stories / success stories?

Grateful for any replies,

--
Darryl Dueck                  |WWW Winnipeg Jets page:
TRLabs, Winnipeg, Manitoba    |http://www.ee.umanitoba.ca/~ddueck/jets

"Fate protects fools, small children and ships named Enterprise."
-Lt. William T. Riker, First Officer, USS Enterprise

2. Slackware 1.1.0 is good!

3. ghostscript and AMD DX2-66

4. Can auto-copy be disabled?

5. I just made my DX2/66 a DX2/75!?!?!

6. NFS can't get a hard mount

7. AMD vs INTEL DX2-66 for Linux

8. LinkSys PCMCIA and Dell Inspiron

9. What would be faster Dx-50 or DX2-66?

10. dx2-66 heat dissip., linux, and overclocking

11. Best EISA/VESA (DX2-66) system? (Need suggestions)

12. X running butt-slow on a dx2-66 - Wishful thinking?

13. 486 DX2-66 => DX4-100 in a laptop.