Recompiling linux kernel and printer setup

Recompiling linux kernel and printer setup

Post by fail00 » Sun, 05 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi
I am currently running redhat 6.1 on my pentium machine.
I would like to know how can i setup my printer in linux. I have a HPdeskjet
710c. I tried that graphical printer tool but it tells me that there is no
printer connected to my computer. I have my printer connected to lpt 1.

My second question is that how can i recompile my kernel. I don't want to
upgrade, i just want to recompile it so that i can burn CD's uing xcdroast
program.
Is there a graphical interface that i can use to recompile my kernel?

Thanka allot..

Post by Greg Nede » Sun, 05 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> Hi
> I am currently running redhat 6.1 on my pentium machine.
> I would like to know how can i setup my printer in linux. I have a HPdeskjet
> 710c. I tried that graphical printer tool but it tells me that there is no
> printer connected to my computer. I have my printer connected to lpt 1.

> My second question is that how can i recompile my kernel. I don't want to
> upgrade, i just want to recompile it so that i can burn CD's uing xcdroast
> program.
> Is there a graphical interface that i can use to recompile my kernel?

> Thanka allot.

Regarding the printer ... I had the same problem and here is what I did

    Try these two commands:

        insmod parport
        insmod parport_pc

    After issuing these commands, run the printer tool.  The lp0 port should
show up as detected when you add a new local printer.

Regarding the kernel ...

    Try this:

        cd /usr/src/linux
        make xconfig

    After you make changes and save and exit, type (still in the /usr/src/linux
directory)

        make dep
        make clean
        make install

    To be safe, I copied my entire /boot directory to a new directory called
/boot.sav.  Then I added an entry in the /etc/lilo.conf file that would allow
me to boot either of the kernels (in /boot or /boot.sav).  The /boot.sav kernel
is the original kernel that installed with the new system and I know it works.
When you do the 'make install', it will put the newly created kernel in the
/boot directory.  If the new kernel does not work for any reason, you can use
old one since you saved it, although I never had any problems with my new
kernels.  Also, read the help to the right of each kernel option when doing the
'make xconfig'.  I found it very useful.

Greg Nedel

1. Recompiling linux kernel and printer setup

Hi
I am currently running redhat 6.1 on my pentium machine.
I would like to know how can i setup my printer in linux. I have a HPdeskjet
710c. I tried that graphical printer tool but it tells me that there is no
printer connected to my computer. I have my printer connected to lpt 1.

My second question is that how can i recompile my kernel. I don't want to
upgrade, i just want to recompile it so that i can burn CD's uing xcdroast
program.
Is there a graphical interface that i can use to recompile my kernel?

Thanka allot..

2. Help

3. need to recompile ftape: recompile kernel too?

4. linuxxdoom doesn't run

5. Recompiling kernel with RedHat 5.2 (/boot/module-info setup)

6. Free Solaris

7. Mouse Setup: Manditory Kernel Recompile?

8. no hard drive

9. Matrox Mystique ands X.

10. Need help on chosing kernel memory option, when recompile a new kernel

11. recompiled kernel, the new kernel does not boot

12. Need help on chosing kernel memory option, when recompile a new kernel

13. After recompiling kernel with PPP support, pppd says the kernel has no PPP support!