link 2 machines with cable

Post by Roy Wa » Sat, 02 Sep 1995 04:00:00

I know there is a special kind of parallel cable that
one can use to connect two pcs together.  I alos
know there is a diagram on the net that teachs one how
to build a cable like that.   But I've lost the address
of it, would someone tell me where I can find that diagram
orbetter yet where I can buy that kind of cable?

link 2 machines with cable

Post by Tim Co » Thu, 07 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I know there is a special kind of parallel cable that
>one can use to connect two pcs together.  I alos
>know there is a diagram on the net that teachs one how
>to build a cable like that.   But I've lost the address
>of it, would someone tell me where I can find that diagram
>orbetter yet where I can buy that kind of cable?

Look for a program called 'Laplink'. It comes with both serial &
parallel cables as well as software.

HTH

link 2 machines with cable

Post by Randall Jon » Tue, 12 Sep 1995 04:00:00

. . . I thought this was a linux group.?
am I wrong?  I thought LapLink was DO(G)S program.

You can communicate between two machines using SLIP or PLIP.

take a look at the NET-2-HOWTO file.
slackware distribution install:
   zcat /usr/doc/faq/howto/NET-2-HOWTO.gz

There is information about how to build the cables/connectors for
SLIP and PLIP;  Good info on starting up your (resulting) two node network.

I have used PLIP a great deal.  I works great for mounting a disk from a
laptop computer to a desktop!  But it can be used by any two PC's with
parallel ports.