Help : Mount : /dev/hdb is not a block device

Help : Mount : /dev/hdb is not a block device

Post by Benoni C. K. L » Fri, 14 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Hello,

Recently, I compiled kernel 1.3.5 and it can detect my Toshiba XM5302B
(ATAPI 4x CDROM) but as it have some problem installing, I turned to
kernel 1.2.10.

At setup, I answer YES to cdrom and choosen an IDE CDROM at /dev/hdb
(primary,slave) and YES to 'make config' item ATAPI (about question 5/6)

But it still cannot mount the CDROM. What should I do manually or at
SETUP or at 'make config' to make it works? Do I need some patch files
for 1.2.10 kernel?

The error message I got by typing 'mount -t is09660 /dev/hdb /cdrom' is
mount : /dev/hdb is not a block device

Thank you in advance,
Lee.

Post by Andries Brouw » Sat, 15 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: The error message I got by typing 'mount -t is09660 /dev/hdb /cdrom' is
: mount : /dev/hdb is not a block device

And is /dev/hdb a block device? If so, you are using a buggy mount
and should get mount from util-linux-2.4.
Anyway, the type is "iso9660", not "is09660".

1. mount /mnt/cdrom ==> mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device

Hello,

I'm in trouble again.   My cdrom on RH6.0 used to mount using command-line
or linuxconf.

Now suddenly its stopped working -   when I try to mount using  "mount
/mnt/cdrom"  I
get rebuffed with :

   #mount  /mnt/cdrom
     mount:  the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device
                    (maybe 'insmod driver'? )

# insmod iso9660
    insmod:  iso9660: no module by that name found.

Linuxconf tells me its mounted successfully but obviously is failing in the
background.

It is unfortunate for me that Linux is giving me these problems as I am only
a beginner
really.   sigh!

thanks for expert advice...
noel

2. S.u.S.E 6.3 has weak Perms on /dev/fd0

3. Please help... mount: /dev/cdrom1 is not a valid block device

4. Solaris: Questions from a Linux user

5. mount: /dev/sbpcd is not a valid block device -- help

6. Matching video cards and drivers for Solaris 7

7. MKINITRD: mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/loop0 as a block device

8. xntp3-5.93e

9. cdrom mount error: kernel does not recognize /dev/hdc as a block device?

10. mount: /dev/hdc is not a block device

11. Error mounting floppy, it says /dev/fd0 not a block device.

12. CD-ROM: mount: /dev/mcd is not a valid block device

13. mount err: does not recognize /dev/sda4 as block device