ATX mobo shutdown

Post by Roel » Wed, 07 Feb 2001 05:12:07

Hello

Got a new pc ,I would like to know if it is possible to shutdown Linux
and the pc also automaticly shuts down the power.

Roel

ATX mobo shutdown

Post by Micah Cowa » Wed, 07 Feb 2001 07:28:24

> Hello

> Got a new pc ,I would like to know if it is possible to shutdown Linux
> and the pc also automaticly shuts down the power.

> Roel

This is a kernel option, so if your Linux kernel doesn't automatically
shut down the power, and instead says something like "Power down
now.", you'll need to recompile your kernel.

If you decide that this little feature is worth that, you might want
to check the "Use real mode APM BIOS call to power off" under "General
Setup" in the kernel configuration (CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF).
On some buggy systems the kernel will crash instead of power off if
this is not checked.  To my knowledge, there is no harm in enabling
this feature even if the system wouldn't otherwise crash, so I usually
enable it.

Micah

ATX mobo shutdown

Post by Marc D. Willia » Sat, 10 Feb 2001 12:52:49

>Hello

>Got a new pc ,I would like to know if it is possible to shutdown Linux
>and the pc also automaticly shuts down the power.

>Roel

Power-off works for me on ATX mobo with Athlon. The machine supports
ACPI so I use the acpid daemon. Works fine.
However, it seems acpid will no longer compile against against kernels
after 2.4.0-test12 due to changes in acpi.h and other things.

ACPI4Linux:  http://phobos.fs.tum.de/acpi/index.html

Intel's ACPI:
  http://developer.intel.com/technology/IAPC/acpi/downloads.htm

Marc