mount err: does not recognize /dev/sda4 as block device

mount err: does not recognize /dev/sda4 as block device

Post by HillFa » Sun, 08 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I've been working on installing my SCSI zip 100 drive to my redhat linuz
machine.

when i started dmseg said "SCSI 0"

now, dmseg says "SCSI 1 detected". I

1) re-compiled the kernel
2) added 'append=aha152x=0x340,11,7,1' to fstab

"modprobe aha152x=0x340,11,7,1" doesn't seem to error out

When I "mount -t vfat /dev/sda4 /mnt/zip" I get this errro message

"does not recognize /dev/sda4 as block device"

What's up with that???

Mike

mount err: does not recognize /dev/sda4 as block device

Post by Jason Simpso » Sun, 08 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Mike,

I'm not familiar with the use of Zip drives, but when giving Mount locations
consider this:

Quote:

> When I "mount -t vfat /dev/sda4 /mnt/zip" I get this errro message

Device sda, no matter what it is, should start out as a 0.  The number
refers to the partition number on the device.  I am assuming that your Zip
disk only has one partition?  Therefore...

Quote:

> "does not recognize /dev/sda4 as block device"

...means that it is looking for the FOURTH partition on the Zip disk.  Try
changing the 4 to a zero.  Also, in case you overlooked it, make sure the
disk is in the drive prior to mounting.

Quote:> What's up with that???

> Mike

Jason

mount err: does not recognize /dev/sda4 as block device

Post by Question Exchange, Inc » Mon, 09 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Mike,

1) re-compile the kernel with
scsi support, for zips, and for
your scsi bus card
2) "append=aha152x=0x340,11,7,1"
should be added to /etc/lilo.conf
in the beginning.. then run
lilo again.. /sbin/lilo
0x340 should be the I/O address
of your controller, 11 irq, 7 dma..
Do this only if you're _not_ using modules. Otherwise just use the modprobe
and add it in /etc/rc.d/rc.local
or use /etc/conf.modules.

Your zip drive perhaps isn't recognized
properly.. do you have other scsi
drives? If not what about using /dev/sda1 instead of /dev/sda4 ?

-vh

  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com

  For other answers and comments visit:

  http://www.questionexchange.com/servlet1/showUsenetGuest?ans_id=2263&...