CD Rom problems

Post by Karel Goriss » Thu, 24 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I' am unable to get my cd-rom to work under linux (red hat 5.1)

Specs cd-rom : CDAT-300i - IBM AT for AT-bus interface card model
IAT-002SY (Instant Tech - GSL) Should be Sony interface compatible.

It is connected to a interface card with the following jumpers
Dack = 7
DRQ = 7
Adress = 340H
IRQ = 11
The card has a name on it 'Wearnes' and the following prints CDC-005/6
PF-WP7011C Rev A

This card works fine under dos and Windows (both 3.11 and 95)

The settings in autoexec.bat are
c:\windows\command\mscdex.exe /D:MSCD000 /L:E /V

The settings in config.sys are
device=c:\gslcd\cdat300I.sys /D:mscd000 /I:340 /IO

help is welcome.

Karel Gorissen

1. Strange CD-ROM Issue (aka CD-ROM Problem)

Ok...this is a fairly strange problem that I don't even know how to
begin fixing.  I have Linux Mandrake 8.0 installed on my Thinkpad
i1400 laptop.  I initially had problem installing off of a CD that a
friend burned for me, but I attributed this to a bad downloaded iso
image and I downloaded the install straight to my hard drive and
installed from the hard drive.  Now, I think that the cd is really not
corrupted and is related to a problem with my cd-rom operating in
Linux.
Now, after working out most of the kinks in my system, I have really
started to use it.  My first problem relating to the CD drive has to
do with a CD that I had filled with my favorite mp3 songs.  In
windows, this cd always played fine in Winamp and the songs worked
great.  However, I noticed that, in Linux, the majority of the songs
get cut off anywhere from 30% to 90% of the way through.  XMMS just
stops playing.  KDE Media player also stops in the same spot.  I
thought that the songs must have been corrupted when they were burned
onto the cd, but, like I said, they work fine in windows off of the
cd. To try to see if it was a corruption problem, I did a diff on one
of the songs that I had on the cd with an identical song on my hard
drive.  The diff encountered an I/O error when it tried to do the
compare.  I then tried copying the song to the hard drive from the cd,
but the copy stalled at about the same % as the song would stop
playing in XMMS and I got a copy error.  If I copy the song in windows
to the hard drive, then go back into linux and do a diff, the two
songs are identical. What could be causing this problem???  I'm
absolutely clueless as to how to proceed.  Any help is much
appreciated.

Note: I have heard that this may be related to supermount.  I have
heard a lot of people complain about it.  The only thing that makes me
believe it's not supermount related is that most people who say
supermount sucks also can't get their cd-rom drives to work.  However,
mine is detected and works.  The songs and some files just get cut off
or encounter read errors.  Could this be a supermount problem or is it
something else?

2. Add module for Compaq Netelligent 10/100 PCMCIA NIC ?

3. Panasonic CD-532 CD-ROM: Problem Child?

4. Scanning for used tcpip ports

5. Setup with TEAC CD-40E CD-ROM problem

6. flags in zsh compctl

7. CD-ROM problem with Linux CD

8. Allow Specific IP only

9. CD-A24X Pioneer CD-ROM Problem

10. Compaq 580 CDS Matsushita CD-ROM Problem?

11. HELP: XFree86 Problems and CD-ROM Problems!

12. CD-ROM problems with Solaris 2.6

13. CD-ROM Problem...