Adaptec and SyQuest Problems

Post by Trevor Jenki » Mon, 26 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I am trying to install Linux 1.2.13 (from the Redhat 2.0  kit) on a
client's machine. The PC is a Dell Dimension with a Pentium, which
Linux detected was one of the FDIV be-bugged chips. However, I have
encountered a few real problems. Whilst I can boot the machine with a
ready-built kernel some of the hardware is not found. I deliberately
choose an image that supports Adaptec SCSI controllers (the machine
has an Adaptec 154x card installed) but when it boots it says "scsi: 0
hosts" and "scsi: total 0 detected". :-( If I force LILO to find the
154x at the known address then the kernel "panics"---much to the
amu*t of the client's representative.

As a consequence I cannot install Linux on the SyQuest drive that is
* off the SCSI card. :-( Although this SyQuest drive only holds
an 88Mb cartridge that will suffice for the purpose of being Web and
mailing-list servers.

Has anyone seen this (non-)behaviour before? If so, how did you fix
it?

I'm prepared to install Linux 2.0.x if that should prove necessary but
I happened to have a spare set of RedHat 2.0 CD-ROMs to hand. Anyway
the machine is intended to run a "production" service so I would
prefer to run it with a kernel that is really stable. This is as much
a sell Linux exercise as it is establishing the service.

It is very likely that we'll have to use 2.0.x anyway because of the
ethernet card installed---Digital Etherworks 3---for which there are
no ready-built images or drivers on any of the CDs I have to hand. I
would like to be able to get Linux running without resorting to FTPing
everything over the net.

Regards, Trevor.
--

Procrastinate Now!

Post by Stas » Tue, 27 Aug 1996 04:00:00

: I am trying to install Linux 1.2.13 (from the Redhat 2.0  kit) on a
: client's machine. The PC is a Dell Dimension with a Pentium, which
: Linux detected was one of the FDIV be-bugged chips. However, I have
: encountered a few real problems. Whilst I can boot the machine with a
: ready-built kernel some of the hardware is not found. I deliberately
: choose an image that supports Adaptec SCSI controllers (the machine
: has an Adaptec 154x card installed) but when it boots it says "scsi: 0
: hosts" and "scsi: total 0 detected". :-( If I force LILO to find the
: 154x at the known address then the kernel "panics"---much to the
: amu*t of the client's representative.

Why don't you compile a new kernel on another machine and copy it to
this machine? Can you mount a floppy drive?

Rather than install GCC on a friend's Packard Bell Pentium, I compiled
a new 2.0.10 kernel tailored for his machine on mine. I installed Red
Hat 3.0.3 on his machine and then upgraded the necessary RPM files,
copied this new kernel to his machine as "/vmlinuz.new", updated
"/etc/lilo.conf" to recognize this without deleting "/vmlinuz" (you
can have multiple kernels to choose from at boot time) and ran "lilo"
to finish this. You can just as easily do this with any 1.2.x kernel,
if you prefer.

As far as the AHA1542x is concerned, I'm using an AHA-1542c and an
external Syquest EZ 135 SCSI Drive with no problems whatsoever. My
AHA-1542c uses I/O Port 334h.

You may wish to look at the source code. These are "aha1542.c" and
"aha1542.h" and are found in "/usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi".

Can I have your job?

Edward

Post by geor.. » Thu, 05 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>I am trying to install Linux 1.2.13
[snip]
>. I deliberately
>choose an image that supports Adaptec SCSI controllers (the machine
>has an Adaptec 154x card installed) but when it boots it says "scsi: 0
>hosts" and "scsi: total 0 detected". :-( If I force LILO to find the
>154x at the known address then the kernel "panics"---much to the
>amu*t of the client's representative.
[snip]
>Has anyone seen this (non-)behaviour before? If so, how did you fix
>it?
[snip]

>Regards, Trevor.
>--

>Procrastinate Now!

Trevor,

   I saw something like this on Slackware kernel 1.2.8-- my theory is that the
buslogic driver was probing and confusing my adaptec 1542c. I recompiled a
kernel without the buslogic driver and it works beautifully. You might try
forcing it to find your adaptec and if you're given the chance, tell it to
probe elsewhere for the buslogic...

Regards,

gpk

My opinion only

1. Adaptec 1542/Syquest problem

Hi.

I'm having problems with and Adaptec 1542 SCSI card and a Syquest 105MB
removable HDD.

I'm running Linux 1.1.59, straight off the Slakware 2.10 installation, having
chosen the SCSI/IDE kernel

Booting up, I get the following from the kernel:

Configuring Adaptec at IO:330, IRQ 11, DMA priority 5
scsi0 : Adaptec 1542
scsi : 1 hosts.
  Vendor: SyQuest   Model: SQ3105S        1  Rev: 2_04
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi disk sda at scsi0, id 0, lun 0
scsi : detected 1 SCSI disk total.

Which is all correct.

All goes fine, both with ext2 and msdos format cartridges, but after quite
a while (I got 45 meg of a tar file created), the following occurs:

SCSI disk error : host 0 id 0 lun 0 return code = 28000002
Current error sd801: sns = f0  4
Raw sense data:0xf0 0x00 0x04 0x00 0x01 0x6e 0xcc 0x0e 0x00 0x00 0x00
 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
scsidisk I/O error: dev 0801, sector 93868
msdos_sread failed
SCSI disk error : host 0 id 0 lun 0 return code = 28000002
Current error sd801: sns = f0  4
Raw sense data:0xf0 0x00 0x04 0x00 0x01 0x6e
 0xcc 0x0e 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
scsidisk I/O error: dev 0801, sector 93868
SCSI disk error : host 0 id 0 lun 0 return code = 28000002

and then I get a Kernel/Filesystem panic.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

        Jack Porter

2. No Disks Available during OS install

3. Problem mounting SyQuest EZ-135 using Adaptec 1510A/1520A/1522A

4. kdoc error building kdelibs SRPM

5. Adaptec 1542C & WangDAT 2600 & Syquest 44M - Linux problem?

6. ANyone using Newlix?

7. Considering Adaptec 2842 SCSI & Syquest 270 MB Removable, Comments?

8. Alsa sequencer on SBPCI128

9. Adaptec 2940UW, Syquest Syjet, and RedHat 5.2

10. dosemu, syquest removable drive and adaptec 1542

11. Matrox Mystique ands X.

12. Help needed w/ Linux + Syquest 270 Mb (SCSI) + adaptec 154x

13. HELP: SCSI - Syquest 270/Adaptec 1542 timeouts