Troubles with Adaptec 1542CP and RedHat 4.0

Troubles with Adaptec 1542CP and RedHat 4.0

Post by Peter D. Junge » Sat, 15 Feb 1997 04:00:00

I tried to post a message about this once before, but it did not seem
to make it to the news group.

I have an AHA 1542CP scsi board that used to work on another machine
with a 1.2.13 that was part of a Slackware distribution.  For it to
work I had to disable autoscanning and things like that, but I am
afraid that I cannot remember the exact settings.

But now when I try to disable the ``features'' that supposedly don't
work with Unix boxes, the system hangs after recognizing the board
with the message ``Waiting for SCSI ID #0''.  This seems to happen
because I have to disable ``Dynamically Scan SCSI Bus for BIOS
Devices.''

When I don't disable that option (or when I disconnect the BIOS
altogether) the kernel that comes with RedHat 4.0, with the SCSI
driver built in as part of the kernel, hangs upon rebooting, saying
``Aborting due to time out ....'' or something like that.

There is no Interrupt conflict and no conflict between the IO ports
between this board and my Cabletron e2100 ethernet card.  (Which was in
the old machine.)  The e2100 is at D000 while the 1542 CP is at DC00,
and I understand that with those settings the e2100 will not use above
D400.

I am getting quite frustrated.

Does anyone have any clues as to what might be happening or know of any
fixes?

Thanks,
Peter Junger
--
Peter D. Junger--Case Western Reserve University Law School--Cleveland,
OH

http://samsara.law.cwru.edu

1. Trouble with Adaptec 1542CP

Hi,

I just got a new Adaptec 1542CP SCSI controller and am having difficulties
getting it to function with FreeBSD.

It is running on the following system:
Compaq Deskpro 575 (90 mhz pentium)
32M Ram
750M IDE boot drive
2 1.3G Seagate scsi drives (if I can get the adaptor functional)

The system boots and runs great without the scsi card installed.  When the
card is installed, the boot process goes through detecting devices and
locks up after detecting npx0.  I have recompiled the kernel with the aha0
driver specifying IRQ and address for the card.  The card is not
conflicting with any other devices.  I previously had an Adaptec 1520 with
the same IRQ and address functioning on the machine.  I have also tried
changing the irq and address of the 1542, with no success.  It locks up
with every setting.

Any ideas what the problem might be?  I'm at a loss.

Bob Plagens                             Voice:  (913)262-4638 x119
System Administrator, TFSnet, Inc       Fax:    (913)262-8948

2. 2.1.100 pre 2 compile problem

3. Trouble installing redhat5.1 with adaptec 1542CP

4. help 2.4.5 ipchains to iptables changeover

5. Redhat Linux 4.2 and Adaptec 1542CP SCSI card.

6. Thanks alots

7. redhat 4.0 and Adaptec AIC-6360

8. Using SCO ELF binaries on Linux

9. Getting Redhat 4.0 to recognize Adaptec 1520

10. Install Problem RedHat 4.0/Compaq Deskpro 4000/Adaptec 1520B

11. Adaptec 2940 and RedHat 4.0

12. RedHat 4.0 & Adaptec 3940 PCI w/LUN support

13. Adaptec 2940UW on RedHat 4.0