RedHat "Official" 4.0 Troubles

Post by Saif A. Wars » Wed, 30 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hi all,

I had RedHat Linux 3.0.3 working just great and I then purchased
the "official" V 4.0 2 CD package and did an upgrade. Now I am running
into the following difficulties does anyone know what the problems
might be? RedHat is apparently so busy that I have yet to
get a response from my last query.

1. Logging in as root I can not start up X; if I log in as a non-root
   user X starts up without any problems. When I try to startx
   I get the following error:

    "/usr/X11R6/bin/init : file or directory not found"

and this error varies if I execute directly in the /usr/X11R6/bin
directory. My PATH does point to this directory. The error messages
are so varied that I can't recall the exact syntax for each error
and I am e-mailing from another machine (see item 3).

2. Emacs takes a very long time to start up.

3. Networking no longer operates. The old networking scripts I had
   written (ppp-on,etc.) no longer work as chat seems to be broken.
   When I run the script it essentially tells me that the -l option
   no longer works. However, the man page for chat says it is there.
   Possibly "new" version of chat as compared to man pages. Previously
   to test my networking I could use minicom, dial into my gateway
   and CTRL + A Q out and issue a pppd command and be connected to
   the network. Now the issuing the pppd command doesn't seem to
   connect me to the network; it just sits there.

   I also tried the Network Configurator and the modem initializes,
   dials up the network, I can hear it connecting and then as with
   pppd nothing else happens.

Thanks

1. RedHat "Official" 4.0 Troubles

[...]

2. non-standard characters cut

4. Xfree86 3.3.3 problem??? (Do not find X)

6. very precise floating point

7. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...

8. adaptec duralan four port ethernet card

9. "official" way to add new ip's to a redhat box?

10. GNU "as" and "ld" not supported for X 4.0 build?

11. "Burning with .raws", or "Debian trouble"

12. What is the difference between "!!" and "*" in the /etc/shadow on RedHat ?