FS: 7 Sun 3/50 and 3/60's

Post by Kent Ranki » Fri, 19 Feb 1999 04:00:00

    Please MAN!  For the love of god... won't someone take at least
one?!

    Hopefully there are a few college students out there... somewhere,
that would give a few dollars for the lot of them.  I doubt that there
will be, but perhaps there are some collectors.  Or maybe someone that
needs a VME housing.  =)

    Anyhow, there are 5 3/60's and 2 3/50's located in Knoxville, TN,
37922-3449.

    I don't have room for them to sit in my garage any longer.  They are
about to become cannon fodder.

-Kent Rankin

FS: 7 Sun 3/50 and 3/60's

Post by Chri » Sat, 20 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Hmm, but aren't these the diskless desktop things?  If so, they're
> pretty useless to most people.  But maybe you could hook up a linux
> server to act as boot disk.  Is there even a linux kernel/dist for a
> 680x0 Sun?

They don't have a disk in the box, but they do have a scsi port like all
suns - and network, 2 serial ports etc. The 3/50 has only 4megs soldered
on board, not expandable which limits their usefullness, but the 3.60
will take up to 24megs of 1 meg simms, still usable even now.

I used a diskless 3/50 as a print server for years - 2 serial ports to
printers and booted headless and keyboardless across the network. U just
rlogin to manage. The box is even thin enough to sit the printer on top.
Am using a sparc 1 for the same job now...

Rgrds, Chris

FS: 7 Sun 3/50 and 3/60's

Post by Hello Kittyha » Sun, 21 Feb 1999 04:00:00

|They don't have a disk in the box, but they do have a scsi port like all
|suns - and network, 2 serial ports etc. The 3/50 has only 4megs soldered
|on board, not expandable which limits their usefullness, but the 3.60
|will take up to 24megs of 1 meg simms, still usable even now.

        I have a 3/50 with a 3rd-party ram extension - this
        added 8 MB & included a replacement socked PAL chip

|I used a diskless 3/50 as a print server for years - 2 serial ports to
|printers and booted headless and keyboardless across the network. U just
|rlogin to manage. The box is even thin enough to sit the printer on top.
|Am using a sparc 1 for the same job now...

        They still function OK as mono X-terms but are
        a bit slow & tend to run out of memory.  NetBSD
        would be a good choice for them if used as a server,
        although the kernel should be reconfigured to throw
        out stuff that consumes memory but isn't being used

--
  ,u,    Bruce Becker           Toronto, Ontario        1 416 699 1868

 `/o/-e  +woodpecker +radio +USSR +power
 _\ >_                                       - D. M. Procida

1. FS: Sun 3/50 and 3/60

Sun 3/50 w/4mb RAM
Sun 3/60 w/0mb RAM

I also have 8mb of 30-pin 70ns SIMMS that I can put into the 3/60, if you
like.

Please make an offer.

                  -kent rankin

PS - I am willing to split them up.

2. File Transfers

3. Strange reboot

4. Unexplained firewall log entries

5. PNP Sound Cards with Linux

6. NetBSD on Sun 3/50 diskless booting from 3/60 using SunOS 4.1.1

7. LINUX on SUN 3/50 (3/60)?

8. Sun 3/50 can't be NFS mounted by non-Sun Unix host

9. FS: SUN X7004 256MB Memory for U/E 1, 2, 30, 60,