unable to mount usb smartmedia card reader

unable to mount usb smartmedia card reader

Post by heathe » Thu, 23 Oct 2003 07:31:38



i have red hat 9.0 kernel 2.4.20-6, an olympus d-230 (with a broken
usb out port), and an 4-in-1 usb media card reader (smartmedia is the
focus) plugged into a 4 port usb hub.

i am unable to mount the smartmedia card using mount -t vfat /dev/sda1
/mnt/camera. i have attemped this before and gooten no where. now i am
at the point where i need it working.

when i unplug the usb cable and then plug in the usb cable to my 4
port hub and then do dmesg, this is the output:

hub.c: new USB device 00:1f.2-2.2, assigned address 13
WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
USB Mass Storage device found at 13
SCSI error: host 0 id 0 lun 0 return code = 8000002
        Sense class 7, sense error 0, extended sense 0
sda : READ CAPACITY failed.
sda : status = 1, message = 00, host = 0, driver = 08
Current sd00:00: sense key Not Ready
Additional sense indicates Medium not present
sda : block size assumed to be 512 bytes, disk size 1GB.
 sda: I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
 I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
 unable to read partition table

if i attempt to mount it anyway, this is the output:


mount: No medium found

any advice or tips?

 
 
 

unable to mount usb smartmedia card reader

Post by Dances With Crow » Thu, 23 Oct 2003 08:06:03


On 21 Oct 2003 15:31:38 -0700, heathenx staggered into the Black Sun and
said:

Quote:> i have red hat 9.0 kernel 2.4.20-6, and an 4-in-1 usb media card
> reader (smartmedia is the focus) plugged into a 4 port usb hub.

EXPN "smartmedia is the focus".  Remember that most X-in-1 USB media
readers don't work correctly unless you enable "probe all LUNs on each
SCSI device" in the kernel config.

Quote:> when i unplug the usb cable and then plug in the usb cable to my 4
> port hub and then do dmesg, this is the output:

> hub.c: new USB device 00:1f.2-2.2, assigned address 13
> USB Mass Storage device found at 13
> SCSI error: host 0 id 0 lun 0 return code = 8000002
>         Sense class 7, sense error 0, extended sense 0
> sda : READ CAPACITY failed.
> any advice or tips?

It looks like your kernel's SCSI modules were compiled without "probe
all LUNs" support defined.  These X-in-1 readers are usually set up so
that one slot (the CF slot, usually) is the primary slot, so a Linux box
without probe-all-LUNs support will only see that slot.

Go to /usr/src/linux , make menuconfig (or make xconfig), SCSI Support,
set "Probe all LUNs" to Y.  Exit, saving changes, make modules
modules_install , then rmmod all your SCSI modules and modprobe them
back again.  Plug the device in, then look at the output from dmesg.
You should see 4 SCSI disks in the output and in /proc/scsi/scsi this
time.  Try mounting /dev/sdX1 (for X=a,b,c,d) and see which one works.
HTH,

--
Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see
Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /    mail: TRAP + SPAN don't belong
http://www.brainbench.com     /  "He is a rhythmic movement of the
-----------------------------/    penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

 
 
 

unable to mount usb smartmedia card reader

Post by heathe » Thu, 23 Oct 2003 23:44:40



Quote:> On 21 Oct 2003 15:31:38 -0700, heathenx staggered into the Black Sun and
> said:

> EXPN "smartmedia is the focus".  Remember that most X-in-1 USB media
> readers don't work correctly unless you enable "probe all LUNs on each
> SCSI device" in the kernel config.

> It looks like your kernel's SCSI modules were compiled without "probe
> all LUNs" support defined.  These X-in-1 readers are usually set up so
> that one slot (the CF slot, usually) is the primary slot, so a Linux box
> without probe-all-LUNs support will only see that slot.

> Go to /usr/src/linux , make menuconfig (or make xconfig), SCSI Support,
> set "Probe all LUNs" to Y.  Exit, saving changes, make modules
> modules_install , then rmmod all your SCSI modules and modprobe them
> back again.  Plug the device in, then look at the output from dmesg.
> You should see 4 SCSI disks in the output and in /proc/scsi/scsi this
> time.  Try mounting /dev/sdX1 (for X=a,b,c,d) and see which one works.
> HTH,

thanks Dances with Crows. i'll try that and get back with you. i'm
hoping it's something simple like your suggestion. in order to mount
my parallel zip drive i have to "modprobe imm" first. i was wondering
if i had to do something similar with my smartmedia/4 port hub
to...and it looks like it.
 
 
 

unable to mount usb smartmedia card reader

Post by heathe » Fri, 24 Oct 2003 04:11:51


Quote:> > Go to /usr/src/linux , make menuconfig (or make xconfig), SCSI Support,
> > set "Probe all LUNs" to Y.  Exit, saving changes, make modules
> > modules_install , then rmmod all your SCSI modules and modprobe them
> > back again.  Plug the device in, then look at the output from dmesg.
> > You should see 4 SCSI disks in the output and in /proc/scsi/scsi this
> > time.  Try mounting /dev/sdX1 (for X=a,b,c,d) and see which one works.
> > HTH,

> thanks Dances with Crows. i'll try that and get back with you. i'm
> hoping it's something simple like your suggestion. in order to mount
> my parallel zip drive i have to "modprobe imm" first. i was wondering
> if i had to do something similar with my smartmedia/4 port hub
> to...and it looks like it.

ok, you were right. i don't have probe all luns configured in my
kernel (among others that i'd love to activate). i don't have the red
hat source code installed so i cannot do waht you suggest. i'm a noob
and i don't really want to dive into a kernel recompile. is there
another way that i can activate this?...possibly with a
/etc/modutils.conf file and an alias?

question: if i install the kernel source, which redhat 9 has 3 cd's,
how much hard drive space does that take? i only have 5 gigs free now.

 
 
 

unable to mount usb smartmedia card reader

Post by Markku Kolkk » Fri, 24 Oct 2003 04:59:43



> question: if i install the kernel source, which redhat 9 has 3 cd's,

No, the 3 source CD contain the source for the _entire distribution_,
not just the kernel. To recompile the kernel, use "Add/remove
applications" to install the kernel development packages.

--
        Markku Kolkka

 
 
 

unable to mount usb smartmedia card reader

Post by heathe » Fri, 24 Oct 2003 21:07:32




> > question: if i install the kernel source, which redhat 9 has 3 cd's,
> No, the 3 source CD contain the source for the _entire distribution_,
> not just the kernel. To recompile the kernel, use "Add/remove
> applications" to install the kernel development packages.

ok, i was wrong. i did install the kernel source. in my redhat 9 i
have 2 folders called /usr/src/linux-2.4 and /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-6.
they both look the same to me. anyway, i tried setting the options in
kde's control center. after doing so it tells me to "make symlinks
dep", so i did that and it spat out a bunch of jibberish in my
terminal...so i thought it was working. i rebooting and still don't
see smartmedia card. i obviously did something wrong. when i go back
into kde's control center, i see that all my scsi options are still
checked.
 
 
 

unable to mount usb smartmedia card reader

Post by Markku Kolkk » Sat, 25 Oct 2003 01:20:30



> ok, i was wrong. i did install the kernel source. in my redhat 9 i
> have 2 folders called /usr/src/linux-2.4 and /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-6.

linux-2.4 is a symbolic link to linux-2.4.20-6.

Quote:> they both look the same to me. anyway, i tried setting the options in
> kde's control center. after doing so it tells me to "make symlinks
> dep", so i did that and it spat out a bunch of jibberish in my
> terminal...so i thought it was working. i rebooting and still don't
> see smartmedia card.

You didn't actually compile or install anything. Forget the KDE control
center, see the instructions how to do it properly:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/ch...

--
        Markku Kolkka

 
 
 

1. USB SmartMedia Card Reader

Thanks to Ted U's encouragement I have persevered on OpenBSD (thank
you).

I still can't access my digital camera on the serial port so am
thinking of getting a USB SmartMedia card reader.

Questions:

- Does anyone know of a reader that _definitely_ works with the
official OpenBSD 3.1 release?

- Are any extra packages required?

- Is any configuration (other than "mount") required?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

2. shadow passwd encryption

3. Uno SmartMedia USB card reader: plugged in but SCSI device does not appear.

4. dosemu fails on emumodule with COL Base

5. USB Smartmedia card reader

6. How to shutdown laptop computer?

7. Help: Unable to mount Smartmedia card in Compactflash adapter plugged in my Zaurus

8. Two Identical NIC's with no jumpers

9. USB smartmedia readers

10. Zio USB Smartmedia reader and Archos 20gig jukebox

11. USB Smartmedia Reader (Flashlink by SimpleTechnology) on Kernel 2.1.18 ?????

12. driver for usb smartmedia readers olympus MAUSB-2

13. USB card reader - how do I mount it?