Slackware and NVidia GeForce4 Ti4200

Post by Lazaru » Tue, 18 Feb 2003 10:15:04

Hi I am a new user to linux and have not too long installed Slackware Linux
8.1.
I am having problems starting the X-Windows system however and I believe it
has to do with my video card not being supported by the X-Windows system.
Can someone out there give me some assistance and inform me if it is
possible to get the distro working with my NVidia GeForce Ti4200 video card.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Lazarus.

Post by mps » Tue, 18 Feb 2003 11:11:55

> Hi I am a new user to linux and have not too long installed
> Slackware Linux 8.1.
> I am having problems starting the X-Windows system however and
> I believe it has to do with my video card not being supported
> by the X-Windows system. Can someone out there give me some
> assistance and inform me if it is possible to get the distro
> working with my NVidia GeForce Ti4200 video card.

Go to nvidia.com and get the drivers.  There are rpms for the
nvidia kernel module and the 3d glx module.

Slackware and NVidia GeForce4 Ti4200

Post by Lazaru » Tue, 18 Feb 2003 11:24:48

Thanks.
I have another issue though. I do not know how to install drivers onto the
system in linux. I do not know how to install them and get them to work with
the X-Windows system. I am a little too accustomed to windows...and the GUI.

Thanks again for your help. I am going to NVIDIAs site now to see if they
have any info on the installation.

Lazarus

> > Hi I am a new user to linux and have not too long installed
> > Slackware Linux 8.1.
> > I am having problems starting the X-Windows system however and
> > I believe it has to do with my video card not being supported
> > by the X-Windows system. Can someone out there give me some
> > assistance and inform me if it is possible to get the distro
> > working with my NVidia GeForce Ti4200 video card.

> Go to nvidia.com and get the drivers.  There are rpms for the
> nvidia kernel module and the 3d glx module.

Slackware and NVidia GeForce4 Ti4200

Post by Pablo Pasqual » Tue, 18 Feb 2003 11:42:16

yo d00d download drivers and R E A D. mkay? R E A D. it no is hard to do
mkay? there is good file include with download which walks you like a
baby through how to do it. do you also try to drive car without first
knowing what you do? R E A D then ask questions. mkay?

Post by Richard Adam » Tue, 18 Feb 2003 16:11:37

> Hi I am a new user to linux and have not too long installed Slackware
> Linux 8.1.
> I am having problems starting the X-Windows system however and I believe
> it has to do with my video card not being supported by the X-Windows
> system. Can someone out there give me some assistance and inform me if
> it is possible to get the distro working with my NVidia GeForce Ti4200
> video card.

The Ti4200 does not work with the nv driver from Xfree, at least mine did
not, all i did was download NVchooser.sh a small script which tells you
which driver to download, read the manual on howto install it thats it.

Quote:

--
Regards Richard

http://people.zeelandnet.nl/pa3gcu/

Slackware and NVidia GeForce4 Ti4200

Post by Lazaru » Tue, 18 Feb 2003 16:21:04

umm..thanks...i think.....
I have another problem..I have gotten my display to work...kind of.....first
of all the screen is huge (does not fit on in the screen space)...but my
main problem is my mouse pointer is acting crazy....it does not obey the
movements I make and so I can not navigate around the system.
I tried commenting out a line in the /etc/rc.d/rc.gpm file as was suggested
to me at some part of the installation (the gpm -m /dev/mouse -t ps2) line,
but that did not work...I have a Logitech wireless mouse...
I would be grateful for any assistance..
Thanks again to those who assisted me.

Lazarus

Post by Richard Adam » Tue, 18 Feb 2003 23:36:05

> I tried commenting out a line in the /etc/rc.d/rc.gpm file as was
> suggested to me at some part of the installation (the gpm -m /dev/mouse
> -t ps2) line, but that did not work...I have a Logitech wireless
> mouse... I would be grateful for any assistance.. Thanks again to those
> who assisted me.

> Lazarus

I define my Logitech wireless mouse as follows.
XF86Config

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse1"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option       "Corepointer"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/psaux"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option       "Buttons" "5"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "off"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

--
Regards Richard

http://people.zeelandnet.nl/pa3gcu/

Slackware and NVidia GeForce4 Ti4200

Post by Lazaru » Mon, 24 Feb 2003 08:30:36

Thanks a lot Richard. That helped. :)

Lazarus

> > I tried commenting out a line in the /etc/rc.d/rc.gpm file as was
> > suggested to me at some part of the installation (the gpm -m /dev/mouse
> > -t ps2) line, but that did not work...I have a Logitech wireless
> > mouse... I would be grateful for any assistance.. Thanks again to those
> > who assisted me.

> > Lazarus

> I define my Logitech wireless mouse as follows.
> XF86Config

> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier  "Mouse1"
>         Driver      "mouse"
>         Option       "Corepointer"
>         Option      "Device" "/dev/psaux"
>         Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
>         Option       "Buttons" "5"
>         Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "off"
>         Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> EndSection

> --
> Regards Richard

> http://people.zeelandnet.nl/pa3gcu/

1. My Geforce4 ti4200 card, help

I have SUSE 8.1 PRO, I downloaded NVchooser to see which are the proper
drivers for my Geforce4 Ti4200 card.

It says download
NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191.suse81.i386.rpm
NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.suse81.i386.rpm

Problem is, There is no
NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191.suse81.i386.rpm or
NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.suse81.i386.rpm on NVIDIA'S Website... There is Only
NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191.suse81.i586.rpm and
NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.suse81.i586.rpm

They have NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191.suse80.i386.rpm and
NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.suse80.i386.rpm, But that for SUSE 8.0

Where can I download the right drivers so I can enable 3D support on my
card.

Thanks in Advance.

I only had linux for a day or too, I really like it, Lots to learn.

I only know some of the console commands, I am learning.

2. Help! Newer kernels and tulip.c

3. Abit Siluro GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB gfx card Not working

4. SZ from command line=ARGH!

5. Dual headed with Nvidia GeForce4 (MX420) AGP + Nvidia TNT2 PCI

6. Is MRTG good for showing NETWORK/Bandwidth Abuse?

7. xscreensaver 3d demos not working with nvidia ti4200

8. Boot image on floppy, root on hard drive

9. nVidia Geforce4, black column right side of display

10. Video Card Problem (NVIDIA GeForce4) on Linux 7.2

11. problems with Red Hat 8 and NVIDIA GeForce4 MX

12. Success Story: nVidia GeForce4 Ti 4200 / Red Hat 7.3

13. Configuring X11 for NVidia GeForce4 420 GO