win98/linux timed disk read discreprency

win98/linux timed disk read discreprency

Post by MGatt » Fri, 14 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I just bought maxtors latest and greatest DiamondMax plus 40 ATA-66
20GIG hard disk drive.  according to http://storagereview.com 's tests
and my own (winbench), it's getting a starting disk read access rate of
30.x MB/sec. (and an ending disk read rate of about 18 MB/sec.);  the
fastest ATA disk right now.  Unfortunately, on linux (with the patched
kernel promise ATA-66 driver) gives on average this:

$hdparm -t /dev/hda
 /dev/hda:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  4.23 seconds =15.13 MB/sec

Does anyone have any ideas as to why its so much slower in linux?  maybe
linux doesnt give the hard disk drive all the CPU it wants because of
more "egalitarian" CPU sharing methods of resource sharing?

Maxtor tech-support was as expected, clueless..
--
~MGatto~

"Tech support?!!??! We don't need no stekin tech support!?!"
Support the anti-spam movement; see <http://www.cauce.org/>

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

win98/linux timed disk read discreprency

Post by smarl.. » Mon, 17 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I just bought maxtors latest and greatest DiamondMax plus 40 ATA-66
> 20GIG hard disk drive.  according to http://storagereview.com 's tests
> and my own (winbench), it's getting a starting disk read access rate
of
> 30.x MB/sec. (and an ending disk read rate of about 18 MB/sec.);  the
> fastest ATA disk right now.  Unfortunately, on linux (with the patched
> kernel promise ATA-66 driver) gives on average this:

> $hdparm -t /dev/hda
>  /dev/hda:
>  Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  4.23 seconds =15.13 MB/sec

> Does anyone have any ideas as to why its so much slower in linux?
maybe
> linux doesnt give the hard disk drive all the CPU it wants because of
> more "egalitarian" CPU sharing methods of resource sharing?

Do you have a chipset on your mobo that Linux supports for  Ultra DMA?
If not, then the max you're gonna get is about 16.6Megs a second because
that's all the interface can handle.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Win98 can ping Linux, but Linux can't ping Win98 box

I'm having a strange problem.  I have a small LAN set up with a Win98 box
and a SuSE 7.1 box set up connected through a D-Link hub.  I have a cable
modem that goes straight to a DEC ethernet card in the Win98 box.  I have a
second ethernet card, a 3c509 in the Windows box that goes straight to the
hub.  Now I can ping my linux box, I can ssh into it (I can't telnet for
some reason, must be SuSE).  The linux box can't even ping the Win98 box.
The card in the Linux box is a 3c509b.  I'm pretty sure it's properly
configured.  Can someone give me a hint here, please.  Thanks a lot.

Jon J. Morin

2. threads and gdb

3. Slow Network Linux->Win98=Slow Win98->Linux=Fast

4. RedHat 4.0: solved my ftpd problem

5. Win98 can pin linux, linux can't see Win98

6. a bash script to create users from a file

7. Linux & Win98 : problem with win98 on the linux HD

8. linux on powermac 8500/120

9. Linux, Win98, and DHCP--Win98 can't see outside world, Linux can

10. Time to read the Disk

11. 2.5.52 process in disk wait for long time reading from cd

12. Telnet & FTP time out (Linux <--> Win98)

13. Reading win98 partition in linux