USB pen drive mounting as read-only

Post by Alasdair McAndre » Wed, 15 Oct 2003 07:59:26

Hi,

Under Mandrake 9 (on my laptop), the usb pen drive works fine.  On my RedHat 8.0
desktop, with

   mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbHD

it mounts as read-only.  I have no idea why, or how to fix it.  Any advice would
be welcome.

cheers,
Alasdair

--
For personal replies, remove "not" from email address.

USB pen drive mounting as read-only

Post by Conny Enstr? » Wed, 15 Oct 2003 23:30:02

Quote:> Hi,

> Under Mandrake 9 (on my laptop), the usb pen drive works fine.  On my
RedHat 8.0
> desktop, with

>    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbHD

> it mounts as read-only.  I have no idea why, or how to fix it.  Any advice
would
> be welcome.

> cheers,
> Alasdair

> --
> For personal replies, remove "not" from email address.

try:

mount /dev/sda1 rw /mnt/usbHD

USB pen drive mounting as read-only

Post by Dances With Crow » Wed, 15 Oct 2003 23:40:35

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 14:30:02 GMT, Conny Enstr?m staggered into the Black
Sun and said:

>> Under Mandrake 9 (on my laptop), the usb pen drive works fine.  On my
>> RedHat 8.0 desktop, with
>>    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbHD
>> it mounts as read-only.  I have no idea why, or how to fix it.  Any
>> advice would be welcome.
> try:
> mount /dev/sda1 rw /mnt/usbHD

I Think You Meant:
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbHD -o rw

...since what you wrote is a syntax error.  Anyway, the OP's problem is
probably not in the mount syntax, but elsewhere.  Mandrake 9 has a newer
kernel than Redhat 8, so the OP should go grab the latest kernel update
for Redhat 8 from redhat's website, or get the 2.4.22 tarball from
ftp.kernel.org and build his own.

If that doesn't help, the OP should do "dmesg | grep -i usb" on both
systems, grep the results by eyeball, look for the important
differences, and post the results here.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /    mail: TRAP + SPAN don't belong

1. can't mount USB pen drive

Hello,

I'm having difficulties mounting a USB pen drive on Mandrake 9.1
(which ships with a patched kernel 2.4.20 with devfs).
The kernel properly detects the device, usb-storage is loaded, but no
device node is created and I have no idea why. I tried to modprobe
sd_mod, without success. the device works properly on winXP and even
Mandrake 8.0 (patch kernel 2.4.3, no devfs).
I'm using on this machine a usb mouse and usb scanner without any
problem.

upon connecting the device i get this in /var/log/messages:

Mar 20 10:28:46 papillon kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:07.2-2,
assigned address 2
Mar 20 10:28:46 papillon kernel: usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod
0x90a/0x1540) is not claimed by any active driver.
Mar 20 10:28:50 papillon /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: Setup usb-storage for
USB product 90a/1540/100
Mar 20 10:28:50 papillon kernel: Initializing USB Mass Storage
driver...
Mar 20 10:28:50 papillon kernel: usb.c: registered new driver
usb-storage
Mar 20 10:28:50 papillon kernel: usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 2,
frame# 1692
Mar 20 10:28:51 papillon kernel: usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Mar 20 10:28:51 papillon kernel: scsi1 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass
Storage devices

as you can see there is not mention of assigning the device a SCSI
host, lun etc. in /dev/ i only have /dev/host0/.. which are my
ide-scsi CD reader and burner. I would expect a /dev/host1/.. appear
with the USB device.
The device is mounted on /dev/sda (or sda1 i don't remember precisely)
on the mandrake 8.0.

Does anybody have any idea?
Thank you,

emmanuel

2. Problem Free Solaris 7 Soundcard

3. USB pen drive error

4. HELP! I am having trouble getting the modem to answer

5. USB pen flash-drive & Linux (Newbie Question)

6. While Loop,

7. How do I use Imation USB pen drive with Solaris10?

8. Linux/FWTK/Mail problem.... could use some advice/help

9. weird USB pen drive behavior

10. USB pen drive

11. How do I access an USB pen drive?

12. USB pen drive : secure partition ?