Matrox Millenium

Post by John Timmer » Tue, 03 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> How can I use my Matrox Millenium 2 Mb Wram 220MHz under linux ?
> At this moment, I'm using a terrible VGA-driver.
> Please give me some details about what I should do : I've just installed
> Linux and XFree86, and all this is new to me..

Dieter, your problems are over; sit back and have a beer while you
follow the instructions on this page:

        http://www.bf.rmit.edu.au/~ajv/xf86-matrox.html

--
Regards

Matrox Millenium

Post by Dieter Delagran » Wed, 04 Dec 1996 04:00:00

How can I use my Matrox Millenium 2 Mb Wram 220MHz under linux ?
At this moment, I'm using a terrible VGA-driver.
Please give me some details about what I should do : I've just installed
Linux and XFree86, and all this is new to me..

Matrox Millenium

Post by Dieter Delagran » Wed, 04 Dec 1996 04:00:00

How can I use my Matrox Millenium 2 Mb Wram 220MHz under linux ?
At this moment, I'm using a terrible VGA-driver.
Please give me some details about what I should do : I've just installed
Linux and XFree86, and all this is new to me..

Matrox Millenium

Post by Olivier ROSE » Wed, 04 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> How can I use my Matrox Millenium 2 Mb Wram 220MHz under linux ?
> At this moment, I'm using a terrible VGA-driver.
> Please give me some details about what I should do : I've just installed
> Linux and XFree86, and all this is new to me..

You just have to download the Xfree 3.2 , who give you the full Matrox
Millenium support under X.

Matrox Millenium

Post by Michael Knigh » Thu, 05 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> How can I use my Matrox Millenium 2 Mb Wram 220MHz under linux ?
> At this moment, I'm using a terrible VGA-driver.
> Please give me some details about what I should do : I've just installed
> Linux and XFree86, and all this is new to me..

**************** begin 18th repost******************

For those wondering if their Matrox (MGA) Millenium or Mystique will
work with either Linux or XFree86, here are your up to date answers:

First of all, Linux supports most any (if not all) VGA cards in text
mode.  But Xfree86 does not currently support Matrox Video cards
directly.  There is a chance that the VGA16 Xserver for Xfree86 *may*
work in lower resolution and lower color modes (example:  640x480
with 16 colors).

Second, there is a group of individuals who are currently working on
writing drivers for Matrox cards, starting with the Millenium.  They
have the support of Matrox on this project, and a driver is included
in the SVGA xserver for XFree86 3.2 that was recently released.

This driver for the Millenium does not take full advantage of the
card's capabilities.  Bare-bones acceleration and fills.  No 3D
stuff yet, but that will come in future driver releases and fixes.

If work on the Millenium is satisfactory, Matrox may donate a couple
of Mystiques for development of a driver.  If you want the most
up-to-date information on this project, you should check:

http://www.bf.rmit.edu.au/~ajv/xf86-matrox.html

Matrox is coming around, we just need to push harder.

Finally, for those wishing to spend a little cash (or a lot), you can
purchase a commercial Xserver.  The Millenium is supported by:

1. Metro-X by Metrolink (www.metrolink.com)
2. Accelerated-X by XInside (www.xinside.com)

The Mystique is only supported by the Accelerated-X Xserver.  Both
xservers fully support all aspects of the cards, including full
acceleration and 3D functions, I believe.  You may want to check
with the respective vendors to be certain.

There may be other commercial xservers out there, but these two I've
checked on personally.  If you purchase Redhat 4.0 from a vendor, it
includes the Metro-X xserver and *should* have support for Milleniums.

************************end 18th repost******************

Michael D. Knight             "Only AIRPOWER can                  |
Gulfstream Aerospace           defeat AIRPOWER,               ____O____
Georgia Tech Aerospace         and without it, all       x-----=[[.]]=-----x

Matrox Millenium

Post by Francisco Obisp » Fri, 06 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I have the Matrox Millenium 2MB WRAM... how can I get it to run with X
Windows?? can anyone tell me how to set it up??  THANx!

Matrox Millenium

Post by Stephan Heisterka » Sat, 07 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>I have the Matrox Millenium 2MB WRAM... how can I get it to run with X
>Windows?? can anyone tell me how to set it up??  THANx!

Get _XFree86 3.2_ (important => 3.2) , install it, start XF86Setup,
select your graphics card, monitor and mouse. Thats it ! Oh yes, you
must use the SVGA Xserver .
This way it works for me (Matrox Millenium 2MB)

Have fun
Stephan

Stephan Heisterkamp +49 0228 287-4368

Medical Institutes University of Bonn
Germany

Matrox Millenium

Post by Eric Veldhuyz » Sat, 07 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>If work on the Millenium is satisfactory, Matrox may donate a couple
>of Mystiques for development of a driver.  If you want the most
>up-to-date information on this project, you should check:

>http://www.bf.rmit.edu.au/~ajv/xf86-matrox.html

>Matrox is coming around, we just need to push harder.

Where should we push them?

--
Eric Veldhuyzen                                               TEAM OS/2

  ********** FIGHT to keep your right to PRIVACY. Use PGP! **********

Matrox Millenium

Post by Roy Dean Henrichsmey » Tue, 10 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Hey guys. I'm looking to buy a new video card. I have heard that the
Matrox Millenium is the best all around 2d card with 3d capability.
I'd like some opinions on this. Thanx!
--
+ Dean Henrichsmeyer            +

+ http://www.ilstu.edu/~rdhenri +

"In the absence of absolutes, all that matters is the will to power."