Toshiba 500CS and X?

Post by Jon Na » Thu, 08 May 1997 04:00:00

I just bought a Toshiba 500CS and I've read the links on the Linux
laptop page about the Toshibas but I still have a problem.

I can run X in 800x600 at a depth of 16 (startx -- -bpp 16) and it
seems to look great.  But, if I try to Ctrl-Alt-F? to another virtual
console, or many times when I quit X the screen goes "nuts."  I don't
know exactly how to describe it - I see flickering scan lines is about
as close as I can come to a description.  If I do the "Fn-F5" switch to
switch between an external display and the LCD display and back everything
comes back.

I don't know if this is bad for the LCD or not.  I tried to use the
XF86Config file on the Toshiba laptop page but it wouldn't work.  I'm
currently using XFree86 3.2a and it seems to recognize the 65550 chip
and all just fine.

Can anyone send a working XF86Config file or indicate what might be the
problem here?

Thanks for your help!

-jon nashy

Toshiba 500CS and X?

Post by KROCH » Fri, 09 May 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I just bought a Toshiba 500CS and I've read the links on the Linux
> laptop page about the Toshibas but I still have a problem.
>I'm currently using XFree86 3.2a and it seems to recognize the 65550 chip
> and all just fine.
> Can anyone send a working XF86Config file or indicate what might be the
> problem here?

Whoa, now, John!  You're way farther than me.  I just got a Toshiba 430CDT
that has the 65550 chip, and I cant make Xfree86 do ANYTHING.  Could you
send YOUR XF86Config file to me, so I can catch up?  I keep getting "No
valid modes found" when I try to start X.  I thought it was because the
65550 chip wasn't supported (which, if you look at all the 'supported
hardware' lists, it isn't).

You may have saved me here...  I want to get rid of win95, but I'm not
going to until I get XFree working.

Thanks!

1. Q: Toshiba Tecra 500CS and XFree86

Hi all,

I plan to intall Linux and XFree86 on my Toshiba Tecra 500CS. I heard that one

need to know the horizontal and vertical refresh rates of the monitor to setup
Window. How can I know these parameters for the internal LCD display of the
Tecra 500CS? Or if you have successfully setup X on 500CS, could you please
pass me the value of these parameters or a copy of your configuration file?
I'd really appreciate it.

Please send me an email because I don't always have access to usenet. Thanks
in advance for the help.

--Yuan

2. User accounts and X-Windows

3. Toshiba TECRA 500CS video dirver for OSR5 - help!

4. holes in the files

5. Toshiba 500CS and 3Com 589D PCMCIA Ethernet

6. Weird mouse click event delay glitch

7. X on Toshiba Tecra 500CS anyone?

8. protocol failure

9. XF86Config setting for Toshiba Tecra 500CS?

10. Hitachi M120D or Toshiba 500CS for linux

11. XFree on Toshiba Tecra 500CS?

12. Toshiba Tecra 500CS

13. XFree problems with a Toshiba Tecra 500CS and OpenBSD 3.0