Newbie: Install can't find CD-ROM

Post by rolan » Mon, 08 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I'm attempting an install using Caldera Open Linex 2.3 on a 486.  I
tried several install methods (Lizard/Lisa install & modul disks) and
all fail to recongize the cd drive (Matsushita CR-562).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Roland

---------------------

Newbie: Install can't find CD-ROM

Post by Brett I. Holcom » Mon, 08 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Is your BIOS setup to boot from CD?

Check the readme on the CD.  I ended up booting to DOS from a floppy and
following the instructions from there.

--
Brett I. Holcomb

Microsoft MVP
AKA Grunt<><
Remove R777 to reply

> I'm attempting an install using Caldera Open Linex 2.3 on a 486.  I
> tried several install methods (Lizard/Lisa install & modul disks) and
> all fail to recongize the cd drive (Matsushita CR-562).

> Any suggestions?

> Thanks,

> Roland

> ---------------------

1. Newbie Q -- CD-ROM not found after installing new video card... it is found under windows.

Hello

    I installed a Rage Fury 128. Upon the first bot into linux It asked to
uninstall the old video drivers -- went fine.
Then it asked to install the drivers for the card, which it detected and
identified perfectly.  It asked for the location of the source files and
gave the options of CD or Filesystem. I don't know where they would be
located on the filesystem, so I said CD. It returned with "Unable to mount
CD-ROM". I hit cancel and got shot back to the initial File location list
with CD, Filesystem, and Cancel. after several tries, it was obvious that
jiggling the wires wouldn't fix this and now Linux is unusable because when
the GUI would normally come up I now have a blank screen with occasional
hard-drive activity. I put the old card back in, identification and
configuration was perfect, (it didn't ask for the CD), but now my CD-ROM is
still not being mounted. The BIOS and Win2K are both finding the CD without
a problem. In Win2K the CD is fine with no difficulties at all. Any
suggestions?

    In a separate, unrelated issue, Linux will not find my Soundcard. I have
a classic Soundblaster 16 ISA card for universal compatibility, but it
doesn't recognize it all. I assume this is because it is an ISA card and I
need to configure it manually. Unfortunately I am *very* new to Linux and do
not know how to do this. (Yes I've ordered "Running Linux, 2nd Ed.", but it
will not be here for a few days.)

    I would greatly appreciate any advice that could be offered. I still
have the old video card if it will be required.

Thank you,
Jesse

2. Sharing serial ports in Merge 4 (try2)

3. Can't install Yggdrasil summer 94 CD-ROM with SCSI-1 CD-ROM

4. 3com 3c503 problem

5. RedHat Install problem; can't find Adaptec 2940 CD-ROM SCSI card

6. Problem recognizing network card.

7. Found IDE CD-ROM on Install, but now can't mount

8. K Desktop Environment Beta 1 released

9. Installing Red Hat, can't find CD-ROM drive

10. Can't find Plextor CD-ROM for Install

11. RH5 Install can't find CD-ROM

12. find on my cd-rom doesn't work, but find on dos does

13. replace cd-rom with CD-R / can't find mount CD-R drive