Can't read 8mm tape from Exabyte 8505

Post by Kevin Walmsl » Thu, 21 Sep 1995 04:00:00

I am attempting to pull in about 300M of data off of a 8mm tape generated
on a Sun Sparc runing SunOS 4.1.3.  When I do this Linux immediately reports
that an error from st0.  The error reports that it has an invalid block size.

When I checked with Corel SCSI under DOS, the tape has a block size of 1024 bytes
The drive itself can have variable block sizes between 1 byte and 245760 bytes.

I tried specifying the block size to both tar and to dd.  In both cases I
got the same error message about invalid block size.

Next, I tried tweaking the st.c file so that it would create a buffer large enough
to handle the maximum size variable block.  This resulted in the exact same
errors as before.

Has anybody had any luck with 8mm tape drives and Linux?  Any suggestions?

Drive fast, take chances...

Mobile Programming Unit #1