Gateway 2000 AnyKey keyboard and Linux

Post by Chris Walke » Wed, 08 May 1996 04:00:00

Is there any Linux support for the AnyKey keyboard that comes with some
Gateway 2000 computers? At the moment, I can program it as normal within
linux, but I can't save the layout.

Some explanation for those without a Gateway - the AnyKey keyboard can
be programmed to generate several keystrokes by pressing a single key.
Eg I have programmed a macro to get the windows 95 key to check for new
mail. The macros are stored in the keyboard and downloaded to the
computer using a dos utility program supplied with the system.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Post by Andries Brouw » Wed, 08 May 1996 04:00:00

: Some explanation for those without a Gateway - the AnyKey keyboard can
: be programmed to generate several keystrokes by pressing a single key.

And so can the Linux keyboard (on the console), using loadkeys.

What support did you have in mind?

Post by Chris Walke » Thu, 09 May 1996 04:00:00

> : Some explanation for those without a Gateway - the AnyKey keyboard can
> : be programmed to generate several keystrokes by pressing a single key.

> And so can the Linux keyboard (on the console), using loadkeys.

> What support did you have in mind?

Sorry, I didn't explain myself too well. I was wondering if there was a
program that up/downloaded the macro information from the keyboard under
linux - possibly with the option to edit the information easily.

As has been remarked by someone else I can still program the keyboard, and
save the configuration when I reboot to win95 so it is not a vital piece of
software, but obviously it would be easier if I could do this under linux. I
may try to configure DOSEMU and see if it works under that.

Chris

Post by Tyso » Thu, 16 May 1996 04:00:00

> I was wondering if there was a
>program that up/downloaded the macro information from the keyboard under
>linux -

Unfortunately, no such animal exists to my knowledge.  Maybe
MaxiSwitch would have an idea?

Post by Chris Walke » Fri, 17 May 1996 04:00:00

> > I was wondering if there was a
> >program that up/downloaded the macro information from the keyboard under
> >linux -

> Unfortunately, no such animal exists to my knowledge.  Maybe
> MaxiSwitch would have an idea?

Thanks for responding.

I've found the MaxiSwitch WWW site (The good old Hello this page is
under construction :-( )

The nearest thing I've found is XKeyCaps:
http://home.netscape.com/people/jwz/xkeycaps/index.html

This unfortunately doen't list a Gateway 2000 keyboard as compatible and
seems more for non programmable keyboards.

Chris

1. Gateway 2000 124+ AnyKey Keyboard and numeric '+' in X

Hello,

I am a new user of Linux and X, so excuse me if this is a stupid question.
I seem to be having problems with my Gateway 2000 124+ AnyKey keyboard in X.
 The '+' key on the numeric keypad does not appear to be functioning
properly all of the time.  For example, when I press '+' in an xterm, it
appears as a "," (comma).  Further, I am not able to change resolutions by
using the Ctl-Alt-'+' command.  However, when I press the '+' key in another
application, say Emacs or Netscape, it functions correctly, printing a "+".

I believe the problem is related to the keyboard settings in my XF86Config
file.  During the installation procedure, I selected "Generic 101 Key
Keyboard."  I have looked in several HOWTOs, but I have not found a solution
to this problem.  Please reply with any suggestions you might have.

Michael Harder
(Remove the NOSPAM to reply via Email)

2. Make multicast packets local-only?

3. gateway anykey keyboard

4. What accelerated gfx chipset/card is easy to program?

5. Gateway AnyKey keyboard problem

6. X question

7. xkeycaps definition for Gateway Anykey Keyboard

8. PPP timeout under RedHat 4.1

9. Keytable for a gateway 2000 (124 key) keyboard

10. Gateway 2000 laptop w/Gateway SCSI PCMCIA

11. Windows 2000 clients can't obtain gateway from Linux server

12. Gateway 2000 Might Install Linux for You

13. LINUX on Gateway-2000 Liberty