SMC PCI Ethernet Adapter, Need Help

Post by Kuang-Chun Che » Sun, 16 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

   I have a SMC EtherPower PCI Ethernet Adapters.  According to the
README file of RedHat Linux CD set, I choose boot image, boot0003.img,
that is

   SCSI: None
   Ethernet: SMC
   CD-ROM: IDE/ADAPI or SCSI

However, I can't configure the network right.  I got error message "no
device found" while issue command "ifconfig eth0 ....".

   Well, I turn off network and keep installing other stuff.  After
the install complete, I login and check /proc/net/dev file.  There are
no eth0 interface exist.

   What's wrong ???  Did I choice a right image ???  How to fix this
problem ???   Thanks.

   ________________
   Kuang-chun Cheng

Post by Kevin at Parano » Fri, 21 Jun 1996 04:00:00

:    I have a SMC EtherPower PCI Ethernet Adapters.  According to the
: README file of RedHat Linux CD set, I choose boot image, boot0003.img,
: that is

:    SCSI: None
:    Ethernet: SMC
:    CD-ROM: IDE/ADAPI or SCSI

: However, I can't configure the network right.  I got error message "no
: device found" while issue command "ifconfig eth0 ....".

I'm sure they mean the ISA SMC drivers (Elite and Ultra cards) when they say
SMC there.  Look for "Tulip" support.  I use a SMC EtherPower with the 21040
DEC chip just wonderfully.  Unfortunately for you perhaps, I heard some bad
news about the Tulip support that's on the latest RedHat CDs (perhaps this
is still a problem common to the driver everywhere) when used with the newer
DEC 21041 chip.  Basically, last year's model (which the 2.0.0 kernel calls
the "old smc8432".. *sniff* my feelings are hurt!) works great but there are
still a few problems to be worked out if you have the newer model of PCI
EtherPower with the 21041 chip.  At least with the support that's on the
new RedHat CDs.. maybe there's a newer version out there that you could try
to work into it yourself..

take care,
kevin
--

"The Internet interprets the US Congress as damage and routes around it"

1. SMC EtherPower PCI Ethernet Adapters

Hi,

    After re-built the Linux kernel, finally I have my SMC EtherPower
PCI Ethernet Adapters work on my Gateway 2000 PC.  However, if I ftp
a large file or use "mget *" with prompt off.  Sometime my system
crash !!!  I need to turn off the power and turn on to reboot it :(
This happened even I am not login as root !

    Any suggestion ???  Does someone have similar problem with SMC
PCI card ?  Thanks.

    Kuang-chun Cheng

2. tcsh - help

3. SMC EtherPower PCI Ethernet adapter

4. PPP / Ifconfig

5. share IRQ of SMC PCI Ethernet Card(DEC 21041) + SCSI Host Adapter

6. unmounting issue with real time kernel

7. Network adapter compatability HP EN1207D-TX PCI 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter

8. Compiling sfio...anyone?

9. I need a second PCI ethernet adapter for ULTRA 5 (Solaris 2.6)

10. SMC 10/100 PCI Ethernet Card Help

11. SMC 1211 PCI Ethernet NIC HELP!!!!

12. help:SMC PCI ethernet card

13. Help ethernet PCI adapter