Calling all gurus: Problems setting up Linux. HELP!!!!

Calling all gurus: Problems setting up Linux. HELP!!!!

Post by g.. » Sat, 13 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Hello!

I've got a problem.  I tried to install Yggdrasil's Plug and Play Linux on my PC.
It didn't install properly the first time, so I deleted all of the files from my second
hard drive, hdb1.  When I tried installing the first time, I had made two partitions,
hdb1 and hdb2.  I though that maybe that was the problem, so I used fdisk in dos
to repartition the disk into just one partition, hdb1.

Then I tried to reinstall.  When I got to the boot: prompt, I pushed the <tab> key for
a list of places to boot from, and hdb2 was still listed.  Needless to say, Linux didn't
work correctly again.  (It said that I had a read-only file system, and things like
install_path didn't work because of missing files.)

I then deleted all of the files from hdb1 (my second hard drive) once again.  Now, when
I boot up, instead of going to windows95, it goes to linux.  By pressing tab at the boot:
prompt, I can force it to go to hda1 to boot, and get to windows, but I want to clear linux
from my machine and try to reinstall it again from a fresh start.

I think that whatever part of the linux software that is left on my system is messing up
future installs.  However, I couldn't find any files relating to it.

Does anyone out there know how to make my computer boot to hda1 (my Windows95
drive) by default?

Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Thanks in advance.

E-Mail responses are prefered since I'm posting this on many newsgroups
David Gotz

(404)206-8032
331251 Georgia Tech Station
Atlanta, GA 30332-1370
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/people/home/gotz/
http://zion.gt.ed.net/

Post by Jani Fikour » Sat, 27 Jan 1996 04:00:00

: Does anyone out there know how to make my computer boot to hda1 (my Windows95
: drive) by default?

  Boot to DOS and do a fdisk /mbr This will clear the Master Boot Record
from Linux. Then delete all Linux partitions with fdisk.
This will remove all traces of Linux from the system (unless you are
using UMSDOS or some other weird FS).

--
GCS d s+: p1 a-->? C++++ UASL$+++>++++ L+++ E--- W+ N+ w(--) M-- !V(--)

 I've been asked if vi was an easy editor to learn, whether it was intuitive
or not. My general response to this question is: "Yes, some of us think so.
                But most people think that we are crazy."

Post by Jim Lentz Bldg A 83 » Sat, 27 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>: Does anyone out there know how to make my computer boot to hda1 (my Windows95
>: drive) by default?

Make the entry for Win95 be the first one in your lilo.conf
file and then rerun lilo.

Jim
--

These opinions are mine (maybe) and not those of my employer.

1. Calling all gurus: Problems setting up Linux. HELP!!!!

[...]

2. Term Binaries needed

3. Sound card mozart

4. ECI USB ADSL Modem

5. WU-FTPD for Linux

6. Linux performance problems (calling all Linux Gurus!)

7. Calling all Linux Guru's - Please help a poor soul.