FYI: "patchified" drivers for Linux 2.4 for Marvell and Areca hardware

FYI: "patchified" drivers for Linux 2.4 for Marvell and Areca hardware

Post by Frantisek Rysan » Wed, 04 May 2005 14:40:46

Dear everyone,

a while ago, in the process of updating my rescue CD,
I've converted drivers for Marvell and Areca hardware
into patches agains Linux 2.4.
The conversion was surprisingly easy, no actual code
modifications were necessary, expcept for maybe two
tiny bugfixes to the Areca driver (unrelated to the
internalized building process).

The Areca driver was provided by the manufacturer,
who has also kindly helped me with some marginal
debugging.
The Marvell driver is a version downloaded from Abit,
though I've tested it on SuperMicro motherboards.

Both these two drivers are completely open source
(no closed-source library compiled in).

Being too lazy to write dedicated web pages, I've linked
them to the following page of mine - the download links to
the respective tarballs are listed among the references
at the bottom of the page:
http://sweb.cz/Frantisek.Rysanek/fccps_articles.html

I hope this helps someone

Frank Rysanek

1. FYI: "linux" vs. "console" and telnet

I think I recently posted my problem with not being able to telnet to one
machine on my network at home.  The machine runs 1.3.37.  I also had the
problem that most programs that did anything other than the simplest IO
to the screen didn't run anymore (vi, less, etc; kermit and more worked
though).  Well it turned out the two are related:  it seems somebody
changed the default terminal type from "console" to "linux" in the new kernels
and so termcap needs a new entry to deal with it.  Or, what I did was
explicitly specify in my inittab a terminal type for each getty, thereby
overriding the default.  Thereafter telnet worked OK; apparently it doesn't
allow a session to be opened if it doesn't know how to deal with the terminal
type.

What I don't understand is that in inittab, I didn't specify "console", but
"con80x25" for some vc's and con80x43 on one and con132x50 on another.  I
have a Trident card so those modes should be supported.  But they all come
up 80x25, and when I check the environment variable $TERM from any VC
I get "console".  Why?  What else do I have to change to get the extended
modes?  On my other machine, which runs 1.2.something, I don't have any explicit
termtypes in inittab, all the VC's are 80x25, and the environment variable
is set to "con80x25" also.

--

 (_  | |_)                              html: http://www.goodnet.com/~ecloud
 __) | | \__________________________________________________________________

2. Redirecting X output

4. Copying partitions

6. Poor performance with INN and FreeBSD.

7. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...

8. OpenSSH or SSH

9. FYI: the solution to my "driver for an EIDE (ATAPI) CDROM" problem

10. i86 2.4 "Cannot load driver for ..."

11. i86 2.4 "Cannot load drivers for ..."

12. "Segmentation fault " while porting a driver from kernel 2.2 to kernel 2.4

13. aic7xxx driver v6.2.4 "queue abort message" questions