Printer driver for Apple Color StyleWriter 4500?

Printer driver for Apple Color StyleWriter 4500?

Post by dfgdf » Sun, 24 Aug 2003 13:06:11

Is there any way I can get this printer to work in Linux?  I checked
http://www.linuxprinting.org and did not find a driver for this printer.

Thanks to anyone who can help!  :-)

Post by Nikk » Sun, 24 Aug 2003 14:06:48

> Is there any way I can get this printer to work in Linux?  I checked
> http://www.linuxprinting.org and did not find a driver for this printer.

> Thanks to anyone who can help!  :-)

Not a direct answer, but... during my (ultimately unfruitful) attempts
to get Linux printing going I found  - on the site you quote - that
some of the printers 'share' a driver; e.g., to use a BJ4550 I was to
use a BJ800 driver.  Maybe there's a generic Stylewriter one, or
analog, or something.  Just a thought...

Nikki

Post by A Le » Mon, 25 Aug 2003 19:15:28

> > Is there any way I can get this printer to work in Linux?  I checked
> > http://www.linuxprinting.org and did not find a driver for this printer.

> > Thanks to anyone who can help!  :-)

> Not a direct answer, but... during my (ultimately unfruitful) attempts
> to get Linux printing going I found  - on the site you quote - that
> some of the printers 'share' a driver; e.g., to use a BJ4550 I was to
> use a BJ800 driver.  Maybe there's a generic Stylewriter one, or
> analog, or something.  Just a thought...

I believe the Stylewriter is a derivative of the Canon BJC200 series,
but with a Mac serial port insted of the PC centronics port.
Maybe try the Canon drivers?
Alan.

--
Change the 'minus' to 'plus' to reply by e-mail.
http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road Cycling in the North Midlands.

Post by kotan.. » Mon, 25 Aug 2003 22:36:11

: Is there any way I can get this printer to work in Linux?  I checked
: http://www.linuxprinting.org and did not find a driver for this printer.

: Thanks to anyone who can help!  :-)

  Search the net or the rpm archives for "lpstyl", install it and enjoy.

  Regards

  Andrzej Kotanski

Post by Michael Bla » Mon, 25 Aug 2003 23:42:46

> > > Is there any way I can get this printer to work in Linux?  I checked
> > > http://www.linuxprinting.org and did not find a driver for this printer.

> > > Thanks to anyone who can help!  :-)

> > Not a direct answer, but... during my (ultimately unfruitful) attempts
> > to get Linux printing going I found  - on the site you quote - that
> > some of the printers 'share' a driver; e.g., to use a BJ4550 I was to
> > use a BJ800 driver.  Maybe there's a generic Stylewriter one, or
> > analog, or something.  Just a thought...

> I believe the Stylewriter is a derivative of the Canon BJC200 series,
> but with a Mac serial port insted of the PC centronics port.
> Maybe try the Canon drivers?
> Alan.

Most or all printers traditionally intended for the Mac (I don't know
about recent printers or recent Macs) aren't just serial, but two way.
For instance, the Stylewriter I bought at a garage sale sends
information back to the Mac over the serial port instead of having
an LED or LCD display.  It won't work if it can't get that information
back.

Note also that while Apple printers tend to be based on other company's
basic hardware, they are not just some other printer with a serial port.
The control codes are different.

SOmebody came up with a driver for the original Stylewriter to deal
with this.  I found out about it because of the page on it at
http://www.linuxprinting.org  But it not only dealt with the codes
for the Stylewriter, and dealt with the need for a serial port,
but also dealt with the information coming back from the printer.

Using a driver for a similar printer likely won't work.  It won't
have deal with the needed control codes, it won't be looking for
information back from the printer, and it may not deal with the
serial port.  I'm not sure that redirecting to a serial port
would be good enough.

   Michael

Post by Michael Bla » Tue, 26 Aug 2003 23:29:39

> : Is there any way I can get this printer to work in Linux?  I checked
> : http://www.linuxprinting.org and did not find a driver for this printer.

> : Thanks to anyone who can help!  :-)

>   Search the net or the rpm archives for "lpstyl", install it and enjoy.

>   Regards

>   Andrzej Kotanski

I thought maybe it wouldn't handle newer versions of the Stylewriter,
but I notice that every Stylewriter listed at http://www.linuxprinting.org
makes reference to the driver.

And, the link to lpstyl is right there on the linuxprinting page.

I used it for about a month, with a Stylewriter and a Pentium, and it
seemed to work fine.  I dropped it when I got a laser printer.

   Michael

1. Printer Apple StyleWriter II

Hi,
I have a PC within LinuxOS 2.0.29, and also I have an Apple StyleWriter II,
Can I put my SWII in serial port and print graphic (PostScript etc.)?
What kind of line parameters are necessaries in the file printcap?
Is necessary a special gs (ghostscript) version with Apple quickdraw
printers?

Thanks for Help,
Ciao,
Tommaso Mascioli.

2. Problems on Powerbook 2400

3. Apple Colour Printer driver?

4. New Redhat 4.0 install, can't log in as root

5. Could 6.0 or caldera2.3 use HP color laser priner 4500 with autoduplex?

6. LILO problem

7. HP 4500 Color Laserjet

8. trouble installing SunNet mgr on Solaris 2.3

9. Color Laserjet 4500 installation

10. HP 4500 (color) on 2.6?

11. Herculers Prophet 4500 with Vesa drivers

12. driver for new Hercules 3D Prophet 4500

13. Memleak on error exit path in Aironet 4500 Pcmcia driver