Redhat 4.1 on a Toshiba 4800CT

Post by Tillman Busse » Mon, 03 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I'm setting up the above linux distribution this weekend.  For the
Xwindows setup, I've chose to use the "Metro" setup.  However, as for
which monitor, video card, and mouse to choose, I'm somewhat lost.  The
mouse for my laptop is the Microsoft BallPoint with QuickPort
connection.  Please drop me some email with your thoughts.

Thanks,

1. Insatllation of Redhat 4.1 on a Toshiba T1910 notebook

Hi,
I have a Toshiba T1910 notebook with 200MB hard disk
When I boot from the Redhat 4.1 Boot floppy I get the following

hda:ST9235A,200MB w/64kB Cache CHS=985/13/32
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
.
.
.
.
Partition check:
hda:hda:status error:status=0x01{Error}
htatus error:error=0x04{DriveStatusError}
hda:drive not ready for command
hda:status error:status=0x01{Error}
htatus error:error=0x04{DriveStatusError}
hda:drive not ready for command
hda:status error:status=0x01{Error}
htatus error:error=0x04{DriveStatusError}
hda:drive not ready for command
hda:status error:status=0x01{Error}
htatus error:error=0x04{DriveStatusError}
hda:drive not ready for command
ide0:reset:success
hda1
VFS:Disk change detected on device 02:00

This appears even if I don't have a DOS partition and the whole of the
disk is given over to Linux.
Continuing with the installation regardless of these error messages
results in the installation falling over later on (probably on a write
to the hard disk.
I have used scandisk and defrag in a DOS installation which did not
detect any errors on the disk. No errors have ever been noticed in DOS
and windows in the past.
Also, I have tried exactly the same thing on a T1910 with a 120MB hard
disk. It works perfectly.
NB both drives are RLL (I think)

Can anyone help?

Thanks in anticipation of your reply

Chris Anderson

2. Only 256-Colour-SVGA????

3. Redhat Linux 4.1 on a Toshiba Portable

4. Where is apsfilter?

5. Insatllation of Redhat 4.1 on a Toshiba T1910 notebook

6. SCSI card install

7. Toshiba 4800CT FS@$616

8. Compiling Apache_1.0.3 on Ultrix4.4

9. 4.1 4.1 4.1 HELP!

10. Red Hat 4.1 on a Toshiba Satelitte Pro 430CDT?

11. Conf pointer on Toshiba CDT-500 Tetra series Laptop using MetroX on Red Hat 4.1

12. upgrade to VxFS 4.1 and VxSF for Oracle 4.1 from VxFS 3.5

13. SunOS 4.1 / 4.1.1 / 4.1.1U_1 /usr/etc/rpc.yppasswdd doesn't work.