Adaptic 19160 and Redhat 7.2 ????!!!

Post by Osama M.El-Shie » Sat, 26 Jan 2002 04:53:39

I have Adaptic 19160 SCSI card, and Redhat 7.2, I cant install this
SCSI Controlr card,  RH7.2 cannt see it ?!!!!!!! it was working in
RH7.0 without any problems, but 7.2 cant detect it.

PLZ help me....... how I can find this driver in 7.2.

Osama

Adaptic 19160 and Redhat 7.2 ????!!!

Post by Peter T. Breue » Sat, 26 Jan 2002 05:06:41

> I have Adaptic 19160 SCSI card, and Redhat 7.2, I cant install this
> SCSI Controlr card,  RH7.2 cannt see it ?!!!!!!! it was working in
> RH7.0 without any problems, but 7.2 cant detect it.
> PLZ help me....... how I can find this driver in 7.2.

Use a aic7xxx driver. Bung it in the kernel and bob's your uncle?
Wassa prob? Maybe you want a newer driver version, or one from
the author?

I would guess that your scsi module config is screwed up, but then,
that's just my guess! You give me zero info and I give you zero!

Load the driver and see what it tells you.

Peter

Adaptic 19160 and Redhat 7.2 ????!!!

Post by Osama M.El-Shie » Sat, 26 Jan 2002 20:05:36

> > I have Adaptic 19160 SCSI card, and Redhat 7.2, I cant install this
> > SCSI Controlr card,  RH7.2 cannt see it ?!!!!!!! it was working in
> > RH7.0 without any problems, but 7.2 cant detect it.

> > PLZ help me....... how I can find this driver in 7.2.

> Use a aic7xxx driver. Bung it in the kernel and bob's your uncle?
> Wassa prob? Maybe you want a newer driver version, or one from
> the author?

Where I can find this.... I search all the net, but nothing I get!!!!
RH7.2 try  to detect it at the first time with aic7xxx, but he falied.
Quote:

> I would guess that your scsi module config is screwed up, but then,
> that's just my guess! You give me zero info and I give you zero!

> Load the driver and see what it tells you.

> Peter

Adaptic 19160 and Redhat 7.2 ????!!!

Post by Peter T. Breue » Sat, 26 Jan 2002 23:39:17

>> > I have Adaptic 19160 SCSI card, and Redhat 7.2, I cant install this
>> > SCSI Controlr card,  RH7.2 cannt see it ?!!!!!!! it was working in
>> > RH7.0 without any problems, but 7.2 cant detect it.

>> > PLZ help me....... how I can find this driver in 7.2.

>> Use a aic7xxx driver. Bung it in the kernel and bob's your uncle?
>> Wassa prob? Maybe you want a newer driver version, or one from
>> the author?
> Where I can find this.... I search all the net, but nothing I get!!!!

Then you are lying, because it is on the net, in the usual place, and
you say you searched all of it!  Either that, or you are a
contradiction, and therefore do not exist - or else the laws of physics
are wrong.  Let's discount the latter.  I'd say you lied.

You can find it in the place documented in the driver code, which is in
the kernel source code dir, or simply by looking for linux+aic7xxx on
google. The first entry on the results page is the one you want.

Would you mind explaining again how you "search all the net"? Shall we
just say "you lied" and leave it at that?

Quote:> RH7.2 try  to detect it at the first time with aic7xxx, but he falied.

"detect"? Don't use such words. Put the driver in, and tell us what it
says about your hardware.

Quote:>> I would guess that your scsi module config is screwed up, but then,

Post by Osama M.El-Shie » Sun, 27 Jan 2002 06:25:39

> >> Use a aic7xxx driver. Bung it in the kernel and bob's your uncle?
> >> Wassa prob? Maybe you want a newer driver version, or one from
> >> the author?

> > Where I can find this.... I search all the net, but nothing I get!!!!

> Then you are lying, because it is on the net, in the usual place, and
> you say you searched all of it!  Either that, or you are a
> contradiction, and therefore do not exist - or else the laws of physics
> are wrong.  Let's discount the latter.  I'd say you lied.

> You can find it in the place documented in the driver code, which is in
> the kernel source code dir, or simply by looking for linux+aic7xxx on
> google. The first entry on the results page is the one you want.

> Would you mind explaining again how you "search all the net"? Shall we
> just say "you lied" and leave it at that?

> > RH7.2 try  to detect it at the first time with aic7xxx, but he falied.

> "detect"? Don't use such words. Put the driver in, and tell us what it
> says about your hardware.

> >> I would guess that your scsi module config is screwed up, but then,
> >> that's just my guess! You give me zero info and I give you zero!

> >> Load the driver and see what it tells you.

> Peter

Dear Peter,

First, I'm not a LIER...
Secound thing,Thanks for ur reply (what ever is it).
Theard, I'm new in SCSI world.

I search all the net, and find all files about aic7xxx... and all I
found PATCHES !!!?????? if u want to upgrade or installtion, BUT, all
I have is this SCSI card and SCSI harddrive, not other thiong no IDE
HD or any thing else, just SCSI HD..... how I can upgrade thing not
installed!!!???
I need a driver when RH7.2 installation ask me for special driver for
SCSI, I but my floppydisk and install it as a new driver he dont have
it in RH CD's.
I hope u can understand me this time.
and If u know how to solve this, tell me.

Thanks,
I will be wait 4 ur reply ;)

Adaptic 19160 and Redhat 7.2 ????!!!

Post by Peter T. Breue » Sun, 27 Jan 2002 09:56:48

>> the kernel source code dir, or simply by looking for linux+aic7xxx on
>> google. The first entry on the results page is the one you want.
> First, I'm not a LIER...

Yes you are. The data is on the net, and you say you searched all the
net, yet you did not find it, so you lied. What is wrong with that
reasoning.

What's more, the first entry on the page for a search for linux+aic7xxx
on google is the reference you want.

Quote:> Secound thing,Thanks for ur reply (what ever is it).
> Theard, I'm new in SCSI world.

Is this relevant? You are hardly new in THIS world.

Quote:> I search all the net, and find all files about aic7xxx... and all I
> found PATCHES !!!?????? if u want to upgrade or installtion, BUT, all

Patches is what you want.

Quote:> I have is this SCSI card and SCSI harddrive, not other thiong no IDE
> HD or any thing else, just SCSI HD..... how I can upgrade thing not
> installed!!!???

If I understand you, you don't have any install medium but a scsi
drive.

So borrow an ide drive or cdrom.

In any case, use the rh 7.0 kernel. That'll be fine. You'll have to
remake the rh 7.2 boot disk using the rh 7.0 kernel and modules instead
of the  rh 7.2 kernel and modules.

Or you can instal rh 7.0, and then "upgrade" in place to 7.2. Be
careful to keep your old kernel and modules, however!

Quote:> I need a driver when RH7.2 installation ask me for special driver for
> SCSI, I but my floppydisk and install it as a new driver he dont have
> it in RH CD's.
> I hope u can understand me this time.

Nope. really, unless something is very wrong with Time and The
Universe, the redhat 7.2 aic7xxx drivers should be capable of
driving yoru 19160 card. And I am most astonished that something as old
as the 7.0 release had drivers for it. I thought the card was more
recent than RH 7.0.

Quote:> and If u know how to solve this, tell me.

Solve it yourself. There are piles of ways. The most appealing to me is
"borrow an ide disk for a while".

Peter

Adaptic 19160 and Redhat 7.2 ????!!!

Post by Osama M.El-Shie » Sun, 27 Jan 2002 16:47:17

> >> the kernel source code dir, or simply by looking for linux+aic7xxx on
> >> google. The first entry on the results page is the one you want.

> > First, I'm not a LIER...

> Yes you are. The data is on the net, and you say you searched all the
> net, yet you did not find it, so you lied. What is wrong with that
> reasoning.

> What's more, the first entry on the page for a search for linux+aic7xxx
> on google is the reference you want.

> > Secound thing,Thanks for ur reply (what ever is it).
> > Theard, I'm new in SCSI world.

> Is this relevant? You are hardly new in THIS world.

> > I search all the net, and find all files about aic7xxx... and all I
> > found PATCHES !!!?????? if u want to upgrade or installtion, BUT, all

> Patches is what you want.

> > I have is this SCSI card and SCSI harddrive, not other thiong no IDE
> > HD or any thing else, just SCSI HD..... how I can upgrade thing not
> > installed!!!???

> If I understand you, you don't have any install medium but a scsi
> drive.

> So borrow an ide drive or cdrom.

> In any case, use the rh 7.0 kernel. That'll be fine. You'll have to
> remake the rh 7.2 boot disk using the rh 7.0 kernel and modules instead
> of the  rh 7.2 kernel and modules.

> Or you can instal rh 7.0, and then "upgrade" in place to 7.2. Be
> careful to keep your old kernel and modules, however!

> > I need a driver when RH7.2 installation ask me for special driver for
> > SCSI, I but my floppydisk and install it as a new driver he dont have
> > it in RH CD's.
> > I hope u can understand me this time.

> Nope. really, unless something is very wrong with Time and The
> Universe, the redhat 7.2 aic7xxx drivers should be capable of
> driving yoru 19160 card. And I am most astonished that something as old
> as the 7.0 release had drivers for it. I thought the card was more
> recent than RH 7.0.

> > and If u know how to solve this, tell me.

> Solve it yourself. There are piles of ways. The most appealing to me is
> "borrow an ide disk for a while".

> Peter

Dear Peter,

Thanks very mauch to answer me...I'm really happy 4 that :-)
All info u give it to me is really very important to gide me to
install SCSI 19160.

I will try to do that.
Last Q. ....
If I get the IDE HD, do I have to install all RH7.2 and run the patch
after that to install SCSI controler as a new hardware and new SCSI
HD, and move all the data from IDE HD to SCSI one or what!!?????
Or, there is some ting more easyer.

thanks for your support, I really appreciated.

Thanks again

Osama M.El-Shiekh

Adaptic 19160 and Redhat 7.2 ????!!!

Post by Peter T. Breue » Sun, 27 Jan 2002 18:45:40

>I need a driver when RH7.2 installation ask me for special driver for
>SCSI, I but my floppydisk and install it as a new driver he dont have
>it in RH CD's.

>> Nope. really, unless something is very wrong with Time and The
>> Universe, the redhat 7.2 aic7xxx drivers should be capable of
>> driving your 19160 card. And I am most astonished that something as old
>> as the 7.0 release had drivers for it. I thought the card was more
>> recent than RH 7.0.

>> > and If u know how to solve this, tell me.

>> Solve it yourself. There are piles of ways. The most appealing to me is
>> "borrow an ide disk for a while".
> I will try to do that.
> Last Q. ....
> If I get the IDE HD, do I have to install all RH7.2 and run the patch
> after that to install SCSI controler as a new hardware and new SCSI

The patch is a source code patch for your kernel.

Apply it, compile it, install it, configure it. Add the new kernel to
your boot loader's list.

Confirm that it works, and move your system to the scsi. We'll
deal with those problems later, when you have more experience.
Read the Kernel-HOWTO and Modules-HOWTO for immediate guidance
in applying the patch.

Quote:> HD, and move all the data from IDE HD to SCSI one or what!!?????
> Or, there is some ting more easyer.

You have to move the data. Nothing else can be easier, given the
physical laws of the universe. You will have to alter /etc/fstab
after you do this.

And as I said .. nothing stops you installing RH7.0 on your scsi disk,
then upgrading it to RH 7.2, being careful to keep your old kernel. Why
not try that?

Peter

Adaptic 19160 and Redhat 7.2 ????!!!

Post by Osama M.El-Shie » Sun, 27 Jan 2002 23:04:07

Dear Peter,

Thanks very much for your extramly helpfull helping..... I'm really
happy that people can help others.

Thanks again, and I will read the HOWTO docs for my self noledge, and
I will do as u said about RH7 and upgrading to 7.2 with same RH7
kernal.

Thanks,

Osama El-Shiekh

> >I need a driver when RH7.2 installation ask me for special driver for
> >SCSI, I but my floppydisk and install it as a new driver he dont have
> >it in RH CD's.

> >> Nope. really, unless something is very wrong with Time and The
> >> Universe, the redhat 7.2 aic7xxx drivers should be capable of
> >> driving your 19160 card. And I am most astonished that something as old
> >> as the 7.0 release had drivers for it. I thought the card was more
> >> recent than RH 7.0.

> >> Solve it yourself. There are piles of ways. The most appealing to me is
> >> "borrow an ide disk for a while".

> > I will try to do that.
> > Last Q. ....
> > If I get the IDE HD, do I have to install all RH7.2 and run the patch
> > after that to install SCSI controler as a new hardware and new SCSI

> The patch is a source code patch for your kernel.

> Apply it, compile it, install it, configure it. Add the new kernel to
> your boot loader's list.

> Confirm that it works, and move your system to the scsi. We'll
> deal with those problems later, when you have more experience.
> Read the Kernel-HOWTO and Modules-HOWTO for immediate guidance
> in applying the patch.

> > HD, and move all the data from IDE HD to SCSI one or what!!?????
> > Or, there is some ting more easyer.

> You have to move the data. Nothing else can be easier, given the
> physical laws of the universe. You will have to alter /etc/fstab
> after you do this.

> And as I said .. nothing stops you installing RH7.0 on your scsi disk,
> then upgrading it to RH 7.2, being careful to keep your old kernel. Why
> not try that?

> Peter

1. configuring gcc-2.7.2.x on redhat 7.2

Hi
  In a project i need to use linux kernel 2.0.x. Currnetly i am using
Redhat 7.2 with gcc-2.96 on Intel celeron. When i build kernel 2.0.x
it gives error. I found out that it needs to be build with
gcc-2.7.2.x. Well i tried to configure it but it gives error:
This appears to be i686-unknown-linux system.
Invalid configuration ...
Can anyone help me to turn around this!
Thanks

2. $$$$$

3. RedHat 7.2 on THinkPad 7.2

4. recommend a scanner?

5. SCSI Controller: adaptec 19160 will this work in Linux ?

6. lilo probe crashes in KDE 2.1.1 - command line version?

7. what's known about adaptec 19160?

8. BW QuickCam and Redhat 6.1

9. Solaris 8/x86 & Adaptec 19160

10. Adaptec 19160 controller under Linux?

11. RH6.1 and Adaptec 19160

12. Intel board D815EEA compatible? Adaptec 19160 ?

13. 19160 supported by Linux?