CD Writer doesn't read CDs

Post by Joerg Afflerbac » Tue, 10 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hi all!

My SCSI CD writer (Yamaha 4416S) doesn't read files on CD-Rs and
CD-RWs properly when I use it with Linux (2.0.32, SuSE 5.1).
When I try to read those CDs with Windows 98, everything works
fine. Burning CDs works fine too with both Linux and Windows.

Maybe I don't mount the writer correctly? It reads in my
"/etc/fstab":

/dev/scd1       /cdwriter   iso9660    ro,noauto,user,exec     0 0

Has anybody an idea what is wrong?

Thanks in advance!

        Joe?rg

CD Writer doesn't read CDs

Post by Matthias Kili » Tue, 10 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Has anybody an idea what is wrong?

No. You didn't mention what kind of error messages you get.

Kili

CD Writer doesn't read CDs

Post by QuestionExchang » Tue, 10 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi all!   My SCSI CD writer (Yamaha 4416S) doesn't read files
> on CD-Rs and  CD-RWs properly when I use it with Linux (2.0.32,
> SuSE 5.1). When I try to read those CDs with Windows 98,
> everything works fine. Burning CDs works fine too with both
> Linux and Windows.  Maybe I don't mount the writer correctly?
> It reads in my "/etc/fstab":  /dev/scd1       /cdwriter
> iso9660    ro,noauto,user,exec     0 0   Has anybody an idea
> what is wrong?  Thanks in advance!   Joe?rg

  SEND ONLY ANSWERS    ENDORIGINAL Body IS:Hi,  Do you have the
SG driver loaded in? If you havent compiled it into the kernel,
use "modprobe sg" to load the module if you have the module
available (that is you've either compiled it into the kernel,
or it's provided with the distribution)  then do: ie   mount
/dev/sg0 /mnt   Change the device to sg0 in fstab.  HTH!

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com
  http://www.questionexchange.com/servlet1/showUsenetGuest?ans_id=2371&...

CD Writer doesn't read CDs

Post by Joerg Afflerba » Sat, 14 Aug 1999 04:00:00

: > Has anybody an idea what is wrong?

: No. You didn't mention what kind of error messages you get.

I don't get any error messages. Mounting works fine, but most of the files
on the CDs are corrupted. But those corrupted files are okay on the CD - I
checked it with Windows 98. I can traverse the file system structure on the
CD, but I can't read the files without error. For example: GIF and JPEG images
can't be displayed when read by the CD writer because the graphics software
can't read the image data properly.

        Joerg

CD Writer doesn't read CDs

Post by Henrik Carlqvis » Sat, 14 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> I don't get any error messages. Mounting works fine, but most of the
> files on the CDs are corrupted.

Is this a SCSI CD Writer? Maybe you have a termination problem or a bad
cable.

regards Henrik

--
spammer strikeback:

CD Writer doesn't read CDs

Post by Joerg Afflerbac » Sat, 21 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hello!

First of all, thanks for your support. I'm afraid, even with your help I
couldn't solve the problem so far.

Again, the "Toshiba" CD-ROM drive works fine, as well as writing CD-Rs
and
CD-RWs with the "Yamaha" CD writer. When I mount a CD in the "Yamaha"
writer
with "mount -v -r -t iso9660 /dev/sr1 /mnt", I can traverse the file
system
structure of the CD and access the files. But often I can only read
corrupted
files even if the CD is okay. For example, I get a plain ASCII file
containing binary data!

My "/proc/scsi" contains:

        Attached devices:
        Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
          Vendor: IBM      Model: DCAS-34330W      Rev: S65A
          Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision:
02
        Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
          Vendor: TOSHIBA  Model: CD-ROM XM-3801TA Rev: 0207
          Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision:
02
        Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
          Vendor: YAMAHA   Model: CRW4416S         Rev: 1.0e
          Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision:
02

"/proc/scsi/aic7xxx/0" contains:

        Adaptec AIC7xxx driver version: 4.1/3.2
        Compile Options:
          AIC7XXX_RESET_DELAY    : 15
          AIC7XXX_TAGGED_QUEUEING: Disabled
          AIC7XXX_PAGE_ENABLE    : Disabled
          AIC7XXX_PROC_STATS     : Enabled

        Adapter Configuration:
                   SCSI Adapter: Adaptec AIC-7880 Ultra SCSI host
adapter
                                 (AIC-788x chipset)
                       Host Bus: Wide
                        Base IO: 0xd000
                 Base IO Memory: 0xe3000000
                            IRQ: 10
                           SCBs: Used 4, HW 16, Page 16
                     Interrupts: 35613
                  Serial EEPROM: True
           Extended Translation: Enabled
                 SCSI Bus Reset: Enabled
                     Ultra SCSI: Enabled
        Disconnect Enable Flags: 0xffff

My "/proc/devices" contains:

        Block devices:
         2 fd
         8 sd
        11 sr

And after "modprobe sg":

        Character devices:
         1 mem
        21 sg

Mounting the CD via "mount /dev/sg2 /mnt" failed:

        mount: /dev/sg2 is not a block device

Then I mounted the CD with "mount -v -r -t iso9660 /dev/sr1 /mnt" and
tried to
read the whole CD with "find /mnt -type f | xargs cat > /dev/null".
While the thing was running, no new messages were appended to
"/var/log/warn".

It says in the "CD Writing HOWTO" by Winfried Trmper:

        Please check first if the writer works under other operating
systems.
        Concretely:

              Does the controller recognize the writer as a SCSI device?
              Does the driver software recognize the writer?
              Is it possible to make a CD using the accompanied
software?

        If "it doesn't work" even under other operating systems you have
        a hardware conflict or defective hardware.

Everything works fine with Windows 98. He continues:

        If it works under the other operating system and you use loadlin
        to boot Linux, then that is your problem. Loadlin makes a
warm-boot
        with most of the hardware already initialized and that confuses
the
        Linux-kernel.

So maybe that's my problem! But even when I boot Linux with a boot disk
and
LILO, the CD writer won't work correctly. *sigh*

Who can help me? Aren't there any other people out there, who use the
"Yamaha 4416S"?

        J?rg

J?rg Afflerbach

CD Writer doesn't read CDs

Post by Ray McLaughli » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> When I mount a CD in the "Yamaha" writer with "mount -v -r -t iso9660 /dev/sr1 /mnt", I can traverse the file
> system structure of the CD and access the files. But often I can only read
> corrupted files even if the CD is okay. For example, I get a plain ASCII file containing binary data!

<snip>

Quote:> Mounting the CD via "mount /dev/sg2 /mnt" failed:

>         mount: /dev/sg2 is not a block device

> Then I mounted the CD with "mount -v -r -t iso9660 /dev/sr1 /mnt" and tried to
> read the whole CD with "find /mnt -type f | xargs cat > /dev/null".

<snip>

> Who can help me? Aren't there any other people out there, who use the
> "Yamaha 4416S"?

>         J?rg

> --
> J?rg Afflerbach

Jorg:

I'm a real newbie, so forgive me if I'm way off the mark, but I noticed
you tried several different commands to mount your 4416s, and none of
them match the one I use:

mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd1 /cdrom1

This works for me. The mount point probably isn't important as long as
it exists, I haven't used the drive to write with under linux yet, but
it reads just fine.

By the way, what is the deal with mounting other drives at /mnt any way
(anyone)? Is this just a matter of style, or is there an important
reason which I have yet to learn? My /dev/scd0 is a Plextor 12/20, which
my instalation (SuSE6.1) set up to mount at /cdrom, so /cdrom1 seemed
natural for the second drive. Likewise there is already a /floppy mount
point so why not a /syquest, an /ntfs, etc. for mounting the various
partitions on my multi boot system?

Hope this might help.

Oh and btw how is your scsai chain terminated?

CD Writer doesn't read CDs

Post by Joerg Afflerbac » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

: I'm a real newbie, so forgive me if I'm way off the mark, but I noticed
: you tried several different commands to mount your 4416s, and none of
: them match the one I use:

: mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd1 /cdrom1

: This works for me. The mount point probably isn't important as long as
: it exists, I haven't used the drive to write with under linux yet, but
: it reads just fine.

As far as I know: Both "/dev/sr1" and "/dev/scd1" point to the same device --
the second CD drive. So I guess, your mount command is equivalent to mine.

: By the way, what is the deal with mounting other drives at /mnt any way
: (anyone)? Is this just a matter of style, or is there an important
: reason which I have yet to learn? My /dev/scd0 is a Plextor 12/20, which
: my instalation (SuSE6.1) set up to mount at /cdrom, so /cdrom1 seemed
: natural for the second drive. Likewise there is already a /floppy mount
: point so why not a /syquest, an /ntfs, etc. for mounting the various
: partitions on my multi boot system?

I myself use the mount points "/floppy", "/cdrom" and "/cdwriter". I think
"/mnt" is just a general mount point for any purpose.

Bye,

        Joerg

J?rg Afflerbach

WWW:    http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~un4t/

1. Reading CD-R & CD-RW with an ATAPI HP 7200e CD-Writer on RH 6.0...

I am presently unable to read CD-RWs or CD-Rs that are
not closed. I want to use both as lightweight backups.

I would prefer not to have to build a kernel. Reading
relevant posts has left me confused. (I am presently
assuming that the issue is UDF.)

Do you know if what I am trying to do is impossible, or
can you suggest pointers to continue investigation?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks, Joe

PS.

The following may be germane, but I don't want to
distract from my question :-)

I use DirectCD on w95/98 to write the CD-RW and CD-Rs.
(I am assuming that I can use cdwriter to write, but so
far have only verified that I can use -eject and -load
to open and shut the drive tray :-))

I can read CR-ROMs and closed CD-Rs. This took me a while,
using the following magic:
    modprobe parport
    modprobe paride
    modprobe epat
    modprobe pcd
    mount -t iso9660 /dev/pcd0 /mnt/cdrw
If I try to mount a CD-R or CD-RW, I get the following barf:
    mount: block device /dev/pcd0 is write-protected,
        mounting read-only
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on
       /dev/pcd0, or too many mounted file systems

The issue would appear to be UDF. I downloaded udf-0.8.8
from http://www.csc.calpoly.edu/~bfennema/udf.html (this
seems to me to not require a kernel patch). I built this,
installed, did the modprobe udf, but when I did
    mount -t udf /dev/pcd0 /mnt/cdrw
with any CD in the drive (CD-{ROM,RW,R}), the CD-Writer
gurgled briefly and then my machine hung. I waited for
5 mins. but it still remained unresponsive. I rebooted
and repeated many times.

I read the FAQ in the udf-0.8.9.1 download (from
http://www.trylinux.com/projects/udf/index.html), and
was confused by the following:
    2.3) Can I read DirectCD (or other packet-writing
         software) discs with this driver?
    Yes, you should be able to.
but later the FAQ writes:
    3.2) How come some discs can be read in DirectCD,
         but not with this driver?
    Usually, these are discs that DirectCD (or other
    packet-writing software) has not 'closed', ie,
    finished writing the UDF volume information. Some
    of these discs will cause the kernel to crash in the
    lower-level driver, even if the UDF driver isn't
    loaded. More work needs to be done to understand this
    problem.

So it would appear that I can't read CD-RWs or open CD-Rs
for the moment?

2. Compiling mod_auth_db

3. CD-Writer CD-Writer

4. Can't run Java Applets in NS3.0b4

5. HP7100+ CD-Writer on parallel port detected as a removable CD (read only)

6. Router configuration

7. Won't read music CD, will read data cd?

8. Connection Manager

9. CD-R/CD-RW (HP CD-Writer+ 7570i)

10. CD-ROM- Writer wanted for AIX-Operating System CD's

11. HP CD Writer and Red Hat 6.2, CDR works fine, CDRW doesn't ....

12. cd writer doesn't work Suse 9.0

13. ESS1731 doesn't work after CD-Writer installation