Building the Ultimate Student Workstation

Building the Ultimate Student Workstation

Post by Old Rabbi » Thu, 23 Jun 2005 19:42:11

This short article:

http://www.catnip.co.uk/linux/usw/

describes building a Linux workstation around an Asus Pundit PH3
barebones.

Enjoy.

Building the Ultimate Student Workstation

Post by mrpag » Tue, 28 Jun 2005 10:04:14

Thanx. I've also bought 'Building the Perfect Pc' by Robert and Barbara
Thompson,  authors of  O'Reilly's best-seller 'Pc Hardware in a
Nutshell'. ISBN :0-596-00663-2

1. which image to use for a Digital Ultimate Workstation 533?

The generic.gz kernel on the red-hat dist runs ok on the box to get you
started.
The Ultimate Workstation 533 is a close relative of (created from) the
AlphaServer 1200.  You should switch to the SRM console and use BSD
disk-labels, you can later build a smp kernel to use the 2 cpu's (if you
have both installed).

You will probably need a new Graphics, as most of these were equipped with
Intergraph TGA's and are not supported by X

JJ

2. SCCS for Linux? Please help

3. Mandrake 7.1 on a Digital Ultimate Workstation 533au2?

4. Mosaic 2.4 for Linux ?

5. DEC Ultimate Workstation random shutdowns.

6. How to add my machine to an existing network (RH 7.1)

7. Student/workstation ratio

8. StarOffice

9. WANTED: Sparc 2/5/10/20 workstation for starving student 12-16-98 cnx.net

10. Setting up 30+ Linux workstations as student computer laboratory

11. Need help building ultimate Linux system

12. Computers for students, by students.

13. OpenLinux Standard: student to student