Adding an external USB hard drive

Post by Ramin Sin » Tue, 25 Sep 2001 22:17:36

Hi all, I am considering buying an external portable Buslink USB drive to
attach to my RH 7.1 (kernel 2.4.2-2) machine. Is it supported, and if so,
can I partition it without having to reinstall the system on my machine?
And how can I find out the device name for it?

Thanks,
Ramin Sina

Adding an external USB hard drive

Post by Dances With Cro » Wed, 26 Sep 2001 10:02:40

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001 13:17:36 GMT, Ramin Sina staggered into the Black
Sun and said:

Quote:>Hi all, I am considering buying an external portable Buslink USB drive
>to attach to my RH 7.1 (kernel 2.4.2-2) machine. Is it supported, and
>if so, can I partition it without having to reinstall the system on my
>machine?  And how can I find out the device name for it?

USB hard disks that follow the USB Mass Storage standards are supported
in the 2.4 kernel series.  With Redhat 7.1's default kernel, you
"modprobe usb-storage ; modprobe ide-scsi" and plug the disk in.  The
disk will be recognized as /dev/sda unless you have any other SCSI disks
attached to this laptop.  USB Storage devices are treated as SCSI
devices for various reasons.

You can treat this disk just like any other disk wrt partitioning and
mkfs'ing, but you'd better umount all its partitions before you unplug
it, and it will be slow.  (Firewire disks are *much* nicer.)

Why would you need to reinstall the system while partitioning another
disk?  You think this is 'Doze you're running here?  If you use fdisk to
make changes to the drive that contains / , then you are strongly
advised to reboot after making those changes; otherwise no problem.
Unless your machine's BIOS has special support for booting off a USB
hard drive, forget keeping / on the USB drive.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /     That which does not kill us
http://www.brainbench.com     /      makes us stranger.
-----------------------------/       --Trevor Goodchild, "AEon Flux"

Adding an external USB hard drive

Post by Peter Teube » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 13:28:31

Quote:> USB hard disks that follow the USB Mass Storage standards are supported
> in the 2.4 kernel series.  With Redhat 7.1's default kernel, you
> "modprobe usb-storage ; modprobe ide-scsi" and plug the disk in.  The
> disk will be recognized as /dev/sda unless you have any other SCSI disks
> attached to this laptop.  USB Storage devices are treated as SCSI
> devices for various reasons.

> You can treat this disk just like any other disk wrt partitioning and
> mkfs'ing, but you'd better umount all its partitions before you unplug
> it, and it will be slow.  (Firewire disks are *much* nicer.)

slow huh?   can somebody do an
        hdparm -Tt /dev/sda
on one of those and report?

- peter

Adding an external USB hard drive

Post by Dances With Cro » Fri, 28 Sep 2001 10:01:58

On Wed, 26 Sep 2001 00:28:31 -0400, Peter Teuben staggered into the
Black Sun and said:

>> USB hard disks that follow the USB Mass Storage standards are
>> supported in the 2.4 kernel series.  With Redhat 7.1's default
>> kernel, you "modprobe usb-storage ; modprobe ide-scsi" and plug the
>> disk in.  The disk will be recognized as /dev/sda unless you have any
>> other SCSI disks attached to this laptop.  USB Storage devices are
>> treated as SCSI devices for various reasons.

>> You can treat this disk just like any other disk wrt partitioning and
>> mkfs'ing, but you'd better umount all its partitions before you
>> unplug it, and it will be slow.  (Firewire disks are *much* nicer.)

>slow huh?   can somebody do an
>    hdparm -Tt /dev/sda
>on one of those and report?

Um, hdparm is for IDE disks only.  Far better to use bonnie++ in the
general case.  Also, the maximum bandwidth on USB version 1 is 12
Mbit/s.  Without protocol overhead, that's 1.5Mbyte/s, and there will be
protocol overhead.  By comparison, my 1997-vintage Thinkpad 380D got
3Mbyte/s when all the stops were pulled out.  It's not bad, but it's
quite a bit slower than the disk in your desktop or laptop.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /     That which does not kill us
http://www.brainbench.com     /      makes us stranger.
-----------------------------/       --Trevor Goodchild, "AEon Flux"

Adding an external USB hard drive

Post by Stuart Le » Tue, 02 Oct 2001 04:09:51

Quote:>On Wed, 26 Sep 2001 00:28:31 -0400, Peter Teuben staggered into the
>Black Sun and said:

  [...re USB external disks...]

Quote:>>slow huh?   can somebody do an
>>        hdparm -Tt /dev/sda
>>on one of those and report?

>Um, hdparm is for IDE disks only.

For the record, Peter's right -- hdparm *can* do some
things with SCSI disks, including
    hdparm -tT /dev/sdX
(along with disk geometry and read-only status).

1. how to add external hard disk through usb port

Linux 7.3 kernal 2.4.18-3 in my notebook's hard disk. 20G
laptop Acer Aspire 1400
usb port / adapter/external 30G hard disk (for notebook)

I tried to add one line in /etc/fstab
/dev/sda1  /mnt/usbhd  vfat defaults 1 2

also  experimented with sda, sda2,  and defaults 0 0, and ext3 too.
(the 30G external hard disk was formated under windows, so the format is
vfat. and I want to see the win32 file.)
then mount /mnt/usbhd
it informs me : /dev/sda1 is not a valid device.

How to use this external hard disk?

Mike

2. Kernel Rebuild question

3. External USB hard drive not recognized as valid block device

4. How to separate adjacent columns in ps(1b) output?

5. IOMEGA USB 2.0 external Hard drive

6. solaris 2.3: good and not so good

7. A bit of a problem with USB 2.0 external hard drive.

8. NFS Redhat install really CRAWLS. Little Help?

9. Adding an External Hard Drive

10. installing linux on external hard drive usb connected

11. USB 2 or FireWire (for external hard drive)

12. USB CD-R/RW burners and external hard drives

13. installing linux on external hard drive usb connected