1. Adaptec AIC-7770 and installing Linux. Please Help!!!!
Hi. I've posted this message before but have had no response and am growing
desperate. (The Pentium machine I've inherited for installation of Linux
will be taken away!). By the way, does any-one know how to access the on-board
AIC-7770's BIOS setup routine? The normal Ctrl-A at boot-up does not work.
I'm trying to install Linux (I've tried from both a Slakware version 3.0
and version 2.3 scsinet1 boot disk) on the following machine (forgive the
verbosity, but I've tried to include every detail):
- AcerAltos 7000, Dual Pentium, EISA/VL Bus
- EISA Pentium BIOS V1.2R1.0
- 32M RAM, 384K Shadow, 512K Cache
- Adaptec AIC-7770 on-board, BIOS V1.1, ROM mapped at 0D0000h.
- CONNER CP31370 1.3GB3.5 SCSI disk, MEDIAVIS CDR-H93MV SCSI CD-ROM
- ATI 68800 Local Bus display card with Mach 32 rev 6 chip (accelerated)
On boot-up, the SCSI controller reports the following:
Adaptec AIC-7770 Bios V1.1
Primary, SCSI ID #0 - CONNER CP31370 1.3GB3.5 - Disk C: (80h)
Primary, SCSI ID #1 - MEDIAVIS CDR-H93MV
Once the boot disk is loaded, and the floppy drive, etc. has been found, the
SCSI controller is examined with the following reported on the screen:
aha274x warning: ignoring channel B of 274x-twin
aha274x: extended translation disabled
AHA274X AT EISA SLOT 9:
bus release time 60 bclocks
data fifo threshold 100%
SCSI CHANNEL A:
scsi id 7
scsi bus parity check enabled
scsi selection timeout 256ms
scsi bus reset at power-on enabled
scsi bus termination disabled
No BIOS32 extensions present. This release still depends on it. Sorry
scsi0: Adaptec AHA274x/284x (EISA/VL-bus -> Fast SCSI) 1.28/1.11/1.29
scsi: 1 host
scsi: aborting command due to timeout: pid 0, scsi 0, id 0, lun 0 0x00
00 00 00 00 00
After which the computer hangs and has to be restarted with Ctrl-Alt-Del.
The machine already has Windoze NT Server Version 3.5 installed on it and
Windoze NT accesses the SCSI drivers without a hitch. To get the system
working, I've tried the following:
- Disabled all shadow RAM
- Made the system and video BIOS's non-cacheable
- Disabled the external cache
- Used a SCSI cable from a working Linux installation with an AHA-1540
with no effect.
I'm at a complete loss as I have successfully installed Linux on machines
using other Adaptec controllers (the AHA1540CP among others) without any
problems (The 'No BIOS32 extensions...' message came up on some machines
but did not prevent operation.) Please help!
Council for Scientific and Industrial Research, South Africa
2. Maxtor 8.4, Maxblast, EZ-Bios and SuSE. HELP!!!
3. Adaptec EISA AIC-7770 HELP!
4. A setup question to start off: partitioning
5. HELP: Adaptec AIC-7770 TwinChannel
6. How do I set the host name?
7. Help with Adaptec AIC-7770 embedded on HP
8. AIX gcc binaries
9. Adaptec AIC-7770 SCSI BIOS and Linux
10. Adaptec AIC-7770
11. Adaptec AIC-7770 difficulties.
12. Adaptec AIC-7770 SCSI chip
13. AIC-7770 on motherboard (~Adaptec 274x?)