usb scanner

Post by Osca » Thu, 26 Jul 2001 00:15:56

i'd like to buy an a4 scanner, and i am wondering if epson perfection 1240u
is a good choice for linux so (i use the last mandreke release).
thanx in advance
oscar

usb scanner

Post by Stephen Anthon » Wed, 25 Jul 2001 21:50:25

> i'd like to buy an a4 scanner, and i am wondering if epson perfection
> 1240u is a good choice for linux so (i use the last mandreke release).
> thanx in advance
> oscar

Have a look at "http://www.freecolormanagement.com/sane/index.html" and
"http://panda.mostang.com/sane".  Apparently, Epson USB scanners are the
most recommended scanners for use under Linux.  I have an Epson
Perfection 636U and have had zero problems with it.  And I also use
Mandrake.

Steve

usb scanner

Post by Leonard Even » Thu, 26 Jul 2001 04:43:52

> i'd like to buy an a4 scanner, and i am wondering if epson perfection
> 1240u is a good choice for linux so (i use the last mandreke release).
> thanx in advance
> oscar

I have an Epson Perfection 1640.    It works as an USB device with RH7.1
and running the 2.4.3 kernel.  (It didn't work completely with the 2.4.2
kernel, but the scanner module for usb that comes with 2.4.3 fixed that.)
It works as a scanner, and the transparency unit, which I have, also
works with xsane 0.76.   The 1240 scanner should also work and it
probably will also work with earlier versions of the kernel and scanner
module.

There is one strange thing I don't yet understand.   The scanner module
is loaded at boot, but I have to remove it, turn on the scanner,
and load the module again for xsane to
be able to recognize the scanner.  I think this may be because I also
have an HP Photosmart S20 scanner (which doesn't work with Linux) on and
attached to the USB bus, and that is confusing the module.

usb scanner

Post by dR Peppe » Thu, 26 Jul 2001 06:25:06

>i'd like to buy an a4 scanner, and i am wondering if epson perfection 1240u
>is a good choice for linux so (i use the last mandreke release).
>thanx in advance
>oscar

I think all epsons are ok.. I have a canon and there are no-or few
drivers listed for them and none for my particular scanner  N636u.
I'll just screencap and scan in windows I guess..  I am looking at the
Epson 640.. a match for my printer.

rc

1. UMAX Astra 1220U USB Scanner

Is there the possibility of getting a UMAX Astra 1220U USB scanner
to work under Linux. I am aware that USB is a possibility for kernel 2.4.x
but is it possible to use USB devices in 2.2.x. This is the only reason for
keeping Windows on my machine.

Cheers,

Christian,

2. NFS on Solaris

3. ABIT KX7-333 motherboard and USB scanner

4. Running out of inodes...

5. visioneer 7100 usb scanner supported?

6. ftpd: Socket operation on non-socket ?

7. Anyone using One Touch 8700 USB scanner?

8. Color Customization Files for XFree86???

9. HP USB Scanner

10. Which usb-scanner works best under linux?

11. USB scanner and linux

12. Support On the CanoScan FB-6x0 Parallel/USB Scanner

13. USB Scanners