USB Audio on 2.2.20

Post by Tim Jon » Sat, 02 Mar 2002 18:54:59

Hi,

I have just compiled a new kernel, 2.2.20, to enable USB support so
that I can use my USB minidisc link - it conforms to the normal USB
audio standards and I know of others who have got it working.

I compiled the sound card support into the new kernel and all the usb
and usb audio stuff as modules.

I start all the usb modules and it recognises the ports, and there are
no errors when I start audio.o but when I do:

cat /bin/bash/ > /dev/dsp

to test it i get a 'no such device'  and KDE can't find sound either

/dev/dsp lists as:

cxrwxrwxrw   sys

Any ideas anyone??

Cheers,

Tim

USB Audio on 2.2.20

Post by John Thompso » Sun, 03 Mar 2002 23:09:07

> I have just compiled a new kernel, 2.2.20, to enable USB support so
> that I can use my USB minidisc link - it conforms to the normal USB
> audio standards and I know of others who have got it working.

> I compiled the sound card support into the new kernel and all the usb
> and usb audio stuff as modules.

> I start all the usb modules and it recognises the ports, and there are
> no errors when I start audio.o but when I do:

> cat /bin/bash/ > /dev/dsp

> to test it i get a 'no such device'  and KDE can't find sound either

> /dev/dsp lists as:

> cxrwxrwxrw   sys

> Any ideas anyone??

The USB support in the 2.2 kernels is quite limited.  Are you sure the
people you mention using that device are using it with a 2.2 kernel?

Unless there's a compelling reason to stay with your 2.2.20 kernel, you'll
probably be better off building a 2.4 kernel instead (2.4.18 is the
latest).  You'll find many improvements, and not just in the USB support.

--

USB Audio on 2.2.20

Post by Tim Jon » Tue, 05 Mar 2002 05:30:01

> > I have just compiled a new kernel, 2.2.20, to enable USB support so
> > that I can use my USB minidisc link - it conforms to the normal USB
> > audio standards and I know of others who have got it working.

> The USB support in the 2.2 kernels is quite limited.  Are you sure the
> people you mention using that device are using it with a 2.2 kernel?

> Unless there's a compelling reason to stay with your 2.2.20 kernel, you'll
> probably be better off building a 2.4 kernel instead (2.4.18 is the
> latest).  You'll find many improvements, and not just in the USB support.

I am running RH 6.0 and I have a feeling it will be a bit of a pain
updating to a 2.4 kernel - wrong versions of compilers etc.

The system recognises the ports as i have got a usb printer working
ok, it just doesn't seem to find the sound. I have a feeling I have to
make the device somehow with   mknod  or  MAKEDEV

I may just have to bite the bullet and get a new distro disk, only
prob is my PC is pretty slow so i'm not sure it will be able to handle
anything more recent!!

Tim

USB Audio on 2.2.20

Post by Mojo B. Nicho » Tue, 05 Mar 2002 11:13:27

>> > I have just compiled a new kernel, 2.2.20, to enable USB support
>> so > that I can use my USB minidisc link - it conforms to the
>> normal USB > audio standards and I know of others who have got it
>> working.  >

Hmmm, I would ask the others you speak of for help and make sure your
not comparing apples to oranges.  They've gotten it to work with kernel
2.2.20? etc.

Quote:

>> The USB support in the 2.2 kernels is quite limited.  Are you sure
>> the people you mention using that device are using it with a 2.2
>> kernel?

>> Unless there's a compelling reason to stay with your 2.2.20 kernel,
>> you'll probably be better off building a 2.4 kernel instead (2.4.18
>> is the latest).  You'll find many improvements, and not just in the
>> USB support.
> I am running RH 6.0 and I have a feeling it will be a bit of a pain
> updating to a 2.4 kernel - wrong versions of compilers etc.
> The system recognises the ports as i have got a usb printer working
> ok, it just doesn't seem to find the sound. I have a feeling I have
> to make the device somehow with mknod or MAKEDEV
> I may just have to bite the bullet and get a new distro disk, only
> prob is my PC is pretty slow so i'm not sure it will be able to
> handle anything more recent!!

Not a compelling reason.  I've run 2.4 on a 90 Mhz PI.  Just because
it is new doesn't make it bloatware.  In fact I think that the new the
release the more likely it is to work with something older/slower. Not
wanting shell out the money for the new distro or effort (in upgrading
without shelling out the money), might be compelling reasons, but
that's a personal.

Mojo

USB Audio on 2.2.20

Post by John Thompso » Tue, 05 Mar 2002 23:04:46

>> > I have just compiled a new kernel, 2.2.20, to enable USB support so
>> > that I can use my USB minidisc link - it conforms to the normal USB
>> > audio standards and I know of others who have got it working.

>> The USB support in the 2.2 kernels is quite limited.  Are you sure the
>> people you mention using that device are using it with a 2.2 kernel?

>> Unless there's a compelling reason to stay with your 2.2.20 kernel, you'll
>> probably be better off building a 2.4 kernel instead (2.4.18 is the
>> latest).  You'll find many improvements, and not just in the USB support.
> I am running RH 6.0 and I have a feeling it will be a bit of a pain
> updating to a 2.4 kernel - wrong versions of compilers etc.

I'm running RH v6.1 and kernel 2.4.18 and didn't have any problems to
speak of.  I compiled using gcc-2.95.3 and glibc2.1 and it seems to work
fine (I've been using a 2.4 kernel here for almost a year now).

Quote:> I may just have to bite the bullet and get a new distro disk, only
> prob is my PC is pretty slow so i'm not sure it will be able to handle
> anything more recent!!

How slow is slow?  I use a PII-350 with 384MB.

--

USB Audio on 2.2.20

Post by Skylar Thompso » Wed, 06 Mar 2002 06:44:55

> I'm running RH v6.1 and kernel 2.4.18 and didn't have any problems to
> speak of.  I compiled using gcc-2.95.3 and glibc2.1 and it seems to work
> fine (I've been using a 2.4 kernel here for almost a year now).

>> I may just have to bite the bullet and get a new distro disk, only
>> prob is my PC is pretty slow so i'm not sure it will be able to handle
>> anything more recent!!

> How slow is slow?  I use a PII-350 with 384MB.

I've run it on even less - i586 200MHz with 64MB RAM. The only problems I
had with it I could pin on the power supply delivering bad voltage.

--

1. USB Audio on 2.2.20 with RH 6.0

Hi,

I have just compiled a new kernel, 2.2.20, to enable USB support so
that I can use my USB minidisc link - it conforms to the normal USB
audio standards and I know of others who have got it working.

I compiled the sound card support into the new kernel and all the usb
and usb audio stuff as modules.

I start all the usb modules and it recognises the ports, and there are
no errors when I start audio.o but when I do:

cat /bin/bash/ > /dev/dsp

to test it i get a 'no such device'  and KDE can't find sound either

/dev/dsp lists as:

cxrwxrwxrw   sys

Any ideas anyone??

Cheers,

Tim

2. PowerPC and Linux

3. USB Audio device in 2.2.20

4. Pipe Problem

5. USB Audio on 2.2.20

6. active system attack

7. Can I plug in a ATX mobo into a AT box?, if ...

8. poptop on Linux 2.2.20

9. Linux 2.2.20 -> ps -u floating point error.

10. kernel 2.2.20 scsi error w/ adaptect 2940uw + plextor PX-R820T cdr

11. DSL on Linux 2.2.20: internet getting slower

12. 2.2.20 kernel panicing