Promise 20275 with S-ATA

Post by M?ns Rullg? » Wed, 12 Feb 2003 04:36:10

The Promise SATA150 TX2plus/TX4 controllers have a chip marked
pdc20275 and PCI ID 0x3375.  This is different from the ID listed in
pci_ids.h for the same name.  Apperently it's a different chip.  Has
anyone heard of any upcoming support for this chip in linux?  I've
heard rumors of support for both Highpoint and Silicon Images SATA
chips, so where's the Promise support?

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

Promise 20275 with S-ATA

Post by Herv » Wed, 12 Feb 2003 20:07:25

I think the chip you're referring to is actually a PDC20376, as on some
motherboards (Asus A7V8X)... I have tried very hard to make it work with
a 2.4.20 kernel, but with no success so far.

> The Promise SATA150 TX2plus/TX4 controllers have a chip marked
> pdc20275 and PCI ID 0x3375.  This is different from the ID listed in
> pci_ids.h for the same name.  Apperently it's a different chip.  Has
> anyone heard of any upcoming support for this chip in linux?  I've
> heard rumors of support for both Highpoint and Silicon Images SATA
> chips, so where's the Promise support?

Promise 20275 with S-ATA

Post by M?ns Rullg? » Wed, 12 Feb 2003 21:21:43

[top-posting corrected]

Quote:> > The Promise SATA150 TX2plus/TX4 controllers have a chip marked
> > pdc20275 and PCI ID 0x3375.  This is different from the ID listed in
> > pci_ids.h for the same name.  Apperently it's a different chip.  Has
> > anyone heard of any upcoming support for this chip in linux?  I've
> > heard rumors of support for both Highpoint and Silicon Images SATA
> > chips, so where's the Promise support?

> I think the chip you're referring to is actually a PDC20376, as on
> some motherboards (Asus A7V8X)... I have tried very hard to make it
> work with a 2.4.20 kernel, but with no success so far.

The chip is marked PDC20275 SATA150.  The pci id doesn't match that of
a regular 20276 either.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

Promise 20275 with S-ATA

Post by Herv » Wed, 12 Feb 2003 22:27:13

> [top-posting corrected]

>>>The Promise SATA150 TX2plus/TX4 controllers have a chip marked
>>>pdc20275 and PCI ID 0x3375.  This is different from the ID listed in
>>>pci_ids.h for the same name.  Apperently it's a different chip.  Has
>>>anyone heard of any upcoming support for this chip in linux?  I've
>>>heard rumors of support for both Highpoint and Silicon Images SATA
>>>chips, so where's the Promise support?

>>I think the chip you're referring to is actually a PDC20376, as on
>>some motherboards (Asus A7V8X)... I have tried very hard to make it
>>work with a 2.4.20 kernel, but with no success so far.

> The chip is marked PDC20275 SATA150.  The pci id doesn't match that of
> a regular 20276 either.

You're right, the PDC20376 is #3376, as shown at:
http://www.yourvote.com/pci/vendors.txt. Unfortubately, the 3375 is not
there! But note that the TX2/TX4 cards have the same functionalities as
the Asus A7V8X MoBo, so I would think the driver could be the same...
Please keep us posted if you find anything as it might solve mey problem
too!

Promise 20275 with S-ATA

Post by M?ns Rullg? » Wed, 12 Feb 2003 22:34:25

> The Promise SATA150 TX2plus/TX4 controllers have a chip marked
> pdc20275 and PCI ID 0x3375.  This is different from the ID listed in
> pci_ids.h for the same name.  Apperently it's a different chip.  Has
> anyone heard of any upcoming support for this chip in linux?  I've
> heard rumors of support for both Highpoint and Silicon Images SATA
> chips, so where's the Promise support?

I found some drivers at http://www.promise.com/support/download/download2_eng.asp?productId=9...

Unfortunately, there is no source code there.  Examining the modules,
it looks like it behaves like a scsi device in linux.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

1. 20275 linux driver patch dated 3/7/2002

We are seeing some significant problems regarding ioctl() support in
this PDC patch on our 2.4.18 kernel.

Is there a newer patch available, if so, where can I find it?  can you
provide the
URL or attach it to a response.

I am sorry that we have not isolated it to the point of giving meaningful
error
messages, but we will work on that after we get the most recent patch.

Lawrence Hileman
Quantum.
-

2. red-carpet updates broke my Linux games?

3. Installation SUSE 9 on ASUS A7N8X with S-ATA RAID

4. Hard Drive access problems.

5. P4C800E-Dlx: ICH5/S-ATA and Intel Pro onboard network incompatibility ?

6. Bourn shell scripts

7. Still no DMA on boot on S-ATA (Asus A7N8X-deluxe)

8. gcc installation prblm redhat 5.1

9. Asus A7V600-X S-ATA trouble

10. S-ATA vs SCSI

11. Linux BUG with Promise ATA-66 controller

12. !HLP getting a Promise ata controller to work with Kernel 2.2.14-15!

13. Installing Linux on a RAID array using the Promise PDC20276 ATA 133 RAID controller