SCSI, two BT-958 or one BT-952?

Post by Trent Piep » Fri, 26 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I'm planning a machine that will serve as a NFS server for an 8 machine
beowulf cluster.  To start with I was planning on getting 4 ultrastar 9ZX
drives spread across two scsi channels.  It looks like I can either get two
BT-958 cards, or a dual channel BT-952 card.  The 958s would cost about $310
total, vs $180 for the 952, but in light of the whole cost of the server, it's
no big deal.  The 952 would save a PCI slot, which would be very nice, since I
might otherwise need to get one ISA ethernet card (plus 2 PCI net cards).

So the 952 seems obvious, but it's a flashpoint card.  How is linux flashpoint
support?  I've been using multimaster cards for years, and they work great.
Will the greater CPU overhead of the flashpoint make a difference for an NFS
server?  This will be a dual CPU system, how well tested is flashpoint with
SMP?  I know some device drivers get unstable under SMP.
--
|Gazing up to the breeze of the heavens \ on a quest, meaning, reason  |
|came to be, how it begun \ all alone in the family of the sun         |

1. Mylex (Buslogic) BT-950 vs. BT-958

We currently have two BT-950 (Flashpoint) UW SCSI adapters in a dual
PII 450 MHz machine. One adapter has three Seagate Cheetahs, the other
two. One disk is root, the remaining 4 comprise one raid0 partition. I have
been benchmarking, and while speed is excellent, I am worried about
the cpu consumption. Bonnie says

              -------Sequential Output-------- ---Sequential Input-- --Random--
              -Per Char- --Block--- -Rewrite-- -Per Char- --Block--- --Seeks---
Machine    MB K/sec %CPU K/sec %CPU K/sec %CPU K/sec %CPU K/sec %CPU  /sec %CPU
         2000  8629 98.0 58084 80.2 22013 70.8  9037 96.7 52675 89.3 405.4  7.2

Even block writes use 80% of cpu. I also used time(1) on this Bonnie
process, and it reported that 40% of the cpu comsumption was system,
60% user.

Iozone reported similar speeds but system cpu consumption was 95%,
user cpu 5%. Is there any way to determine, what that system cpu usage
is? Is it mainly Linux raid implementation's overhead or is it the
Mylex drivers?

I tried also with raid5, and cpu consumption was about the same, plus
the md_thread process taking around 13% of cpu.

Finally, it would be nice to know if upgrading to BT-958 is worth the
price differential.

Janne Himanka
--

fixing everybody's troubles, everybody's but mine, + Learning & Res. Services
someone must have told them that I was doing fine. + Oulu University, Finland

2. where get cdrom with slack2.3 and slack3.0

3. Mylex (former BusLogic) BT-958 BT-958D adapter problem.

4. ftp

5. where to buy BusLogic BT-958 or KT-958

6. passwd ONLY !

7. wierd open behaviour with tasks and nfs

8. Mylex bt-952 scsi board: some easy questions

9. BusLogic BT-958 SCSI adapter and Mandrake 8.0

10. Buslogic BT-958 SCSI Controller Support?

11. HELP: PCI SCSI BusLogic BT-958 woes!

12. Q: regarding BusLogic BT-958 SCSI. Usable?