Reading Mac Zip Disks under Linux

Post by a.. » Fri, 18 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi

Is there a way to mount Mac formatted Zip disks under Linux ?
We have a parallel zip drive with files ona Mac formatted zip disk
that we need to access ....

any help would be most appreciated

arif

Post by Michael Schmit » Fri, 18 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> Is there a way to mount Mac formatted Zip disks under Linux ?
> We have a parallel zip drive with files ona Mac formatted zip disk
> that we need to access ....

Configure your kernel for foreign partition format support (Mac
partitions,
of course) and either use hfsutils or the kernel HFS filesystem support.

        Michael

Reading Mac Zip Disks under Linux

Post by Michael Schmit » Fri, 18 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> : Configure your kernel for foreign partition format support (Mac
> : partitions,
> : of course) and either use hfsutils or the kernel HFS filesystem support.

> Actually you don't need forgien partition support for hfsutils.  I use
> it under 2.0.36 to read Mac Syquest disks on the Amiga.

Fine, so hfsutils can figure out the partition itself? What device do you
specify to mount? (Something like /dev/sdb4 would already require the
kernel to parse the partitions, or hfsutils to parse the device name and
the partition table ...)

        Michael

--

"Faster processors are nice, but they are not truly revolutionary. And
   neither are colors." - Jim Collas, Amiga Inc.

Reading Mac Zip Disks under Linux

Post by Shawn D'Alimont » Sat, 19 Jun 1999 04:00:00

: Fine, so hfsutils can figure out the partition itself? What device do you
: specify to mount? (Something like /dev/sdb4 would already require the
: kernel to parse the partitions, or hfsutils to parse the device name and
: the partition table ...)

Use /dev/sdb and it will work.  hmount /dev/sdb will mount the first
HFS partition.  To mount other partition just give the partition
number after the device.  ie hmount /dev/sdb 2 (not /dev/sdb2) would
mount the second partition on /dev/sdb.

This is in the manpage.

--

Post by Michael Schmit » Sat, 19 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> Use /dev/sdb and it will work.  hmount /dev/sdb will mount the first
> HFS partition.  To mount other partition just give the partition
> number after the device.  ie hmount /dev/sdb 2 (not /dev/sdb2) would
> mount the second partition on /dev/sdb.

> This is in the manpage.

Never had to use this trick (or read the man page), I always compile in
all partition formats and filesystems I need. hmount /dev/sdb3 is what I
use :-)

But thanks anyway, that'll help me next time I can't simply reboot with
the right kernel.

        Michael

Reading Mac Zip Disks under Linux

Post by Teddy Wa » Fri, 09 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I've got a similar problem.  I'm  trying to mount Zip disks which I
formatted with AmigaOS on my SUSE 6.1 based Intel box.  The kernel has
AFFS support already built in, but trying to mount /dev/sdb or
/dev/sdb1 (it's a SCSI zip) don't work.  Has anybody gotten this to
work?

Teddy

Quote:>Never had to use this trick (or read the man page), I always compile in

Post by Stig Tamne » Sat, 24 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> I've got a similar problem.  I'm  trying to mount Zip disks which I
> formatted with AmigaOS on my SUSE 6.1 based Intel box.  The kernel has
> AFFS support already built in, but trying to mount /dev/sdb or
> /dev/sdb1 (it's a SCSI zip) don't work.  Has anybody gotten this to
> work?

> Teddy

> >Never had to use this trick (or read the man page), I always compile in
> >all partition formats and filesystems I need. hmount /dev/sdb3 is what I
> >use :-)

> >But thanks anyway, that'll help me next time I can't simply reboot with
> >the right kernel.

> >       Michael

hi
try
mount -t affs /dev/sdb3 /mnt

1. Can Linux read a Mac Zip disk?

I've got a couple of Macintosh zip disks that I would like to mount on my
Linux box... can it be done? Read/write or read only? Please advise.

Brian

--
Brian W. Fitzpatrick                                      800-262-2373
Rome Center of Liberal Arts                               312-508-3075

2. How to bind to an IP address?

3. Driver to read Mac-format Zip disks in Linux?

4. Measuring user satisfaction with Linux OS

5. Can Mac formatted Zip disks be read under Linux?

6. Solaris 2.3

7. Reading Mac Disks (without a mac)

8. Changing MAC Address

9. Reading and writing Mac floppy disks on non-mac hardware

10. Can Linux read NT Zip disks

11. Lilo on a Zip disk OR how to make a Zip disk bootable

12. mounting mac formatted zip disks

13. How do I mount a Mac zip disk