Bad blocks on IDE disk - can I use it with Linux

Bad blocks on IDE disk - can I use it with Linux

Post by Frank Gock » Fri, 29 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

I've got a large IDE disk with some bad sectors on it. I know dos finds
the bad blocks and marks them as "unusable" in its filesystem.

Is there a similar feature in Linux filesystems ? Can I use the disk
with Linux at all ? All I receive up to now are panics due to bad blocks...

Thanks in advance,

Frank

Post by Nicklas Norlin » Fri, 29 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I've got a large IDE disk with some bad sectors on it. I know dos finds
> the bad blocks and marks them as "unusable" in its filesystem.

> Is there a similar feature in Linux filesystems ? Can I use the disk
> with Linux at all ? All I receive up to now are panics due to bad blocks...

> Thanks in advance,

> Frank

Hi Frank.

The answere is no if you dont want to risk your data.
Modern IDE disks uses 32-bit on-the-fly-error-correcting-CRC. This means that a
disk with bad blocks are in a very severe condition. Errors have been poring for
some time but 32 bit CRC where able to fix them. It's time to save that what you
can and get a new disk immediately.

Good luck Frank!
/Nicke

Bad blocks on IDE disk - can I use it with Linux

Post by James Youngm » Sat, 30 Nov 1996 04:00:00

says...

Quote:

>Hi,

>I've got a large IDE disk with some bad sectors on it. I know dos finds
>the bad blocks and marks them as "unusable" in its filesystem.

>Is there a similar feature in Linux filesystems ? Can I use the disk
>with Linux at all ? All I receive up to now are panics due to bad blocks...

It's fine.  Check out the manual pages for "badblocks" and "fsck", paying
particular attention to the -L and -l options.  My /home partition had required
updates to the badblocks list a couple of times in the two years I have had it,
but it still works fine.  When required, fsck -l moved stuff aroud to get it
out of the (new) bad blocks, I seem to recall.

--
James Youngman       VG Gas Analysis Systems |The trouble with the rat-race
 Before sending advertising material, read   |is, even if you win, you're

Bad blocks on IDE disk - can I use it with Linux

Post by Michael A. Iron » Mon, 02 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Hi both;

  Acctually the answer is yes. As I'm doing it right now I can speak
up for this. You have two options. First you can have mke2fs scan for
bad blocks while making the file system. The other is to use e2fsck
to add / replace the bad block file for an existing file system. Check
out the corresponding man page for the option suited to your case.

  Another, more _risky_ option is to re low-level format your drive.
I'd only suggest this as an option to throwing the drive out, where
it wouldn't matter if you trash the disk. This has the IDE controller
write the data it needs to decide which track is which, what sector
is what, etc. The drive also has spare tracks for bad-sector remapping
which it can use to hide bad sectors. Also, as someone pointed out to
me, this 'administative' sector data can slowly fade. Re formating
will refresh this in case the controller is having problems reading
it. Needless to say, doing this will wipe your disk clean and you'll
lose _all_ data on it. look on your drive makers web site for a utility
like this. I'm trying to find a utility for my disk so I can do this to
my disk.

--

New members are urgently needed in the Society for Prevention of
Cruelty to Yourself.  Apply within.

                aTdHvAaNnKcSe   >THANKS 'in' advance<

                                        Michael A. Irons

Post by Ramo » Sun, 08 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>   Another, more _risky_ option is to re low-level format your drive.
> I'd only suggest this as an option to throwing the drive out, where
> it wouldn't matter if you trash the disk. This has the IDE controller
> write the data it needs ... <snip> I'm trying to find a utility for
> my disk so I can do this to my disk.

Sorry, won't work.  The vast majority of IDE drives *cannot* be
low level formatted.  They do this at the factory, then they
put the controller board in.  When you issue a low-level
format command to an IDE drive, it *simulates* the command and
reports that it was succesful!  High level formats, like
Linux or DOS format commands merely write E5h bytes to the
512 data bytes in the sector.

I have heard....that SOME Seagates can be low level formatted,
but it is *not* recommended to do so outside the depot.  This
may have to do with the fact that IDE drives have precision
encoded servo tracks to guide the head to the proper cylinder.

Ramon Gandia  Please address e-mail replies
Nome, Alaska  to rfg _AT_ nome.net.

1. Bad Blocks on IDE disk

I get the following message for some commands
        HD read_intr: ststus 0x59
        hdb read_intr: error 0x80
        Disk I/O error
        dev 0342, sector 184210
when I ran badblock it gave a list of blocks 92102-92110

This is on a 128Mb Hitachi IDE drive.

Is there any way to find what files use those blocks?
Can I mark them as bad?

--
Iain Cadman

2. Newbie question part 1: ports for 3.x

3. Kernel 2.4, large IDE disk, bad blocks

4. Lost password help

5. ext2fs filesystem/IDE disk/bad blocks

6. Problem moving home directory

7. What to do when you have one IDE disk bad block ?

8. foolproof linux platform??

9. Finding out if there are bad blocks in the bad blocks list

10. How do you add a bad block to e2fs bad block list?

11. linux RH bad blocks in iDE

12. Can I use a Hard Disk with some bad blocks w/ Linux?

13. It's not bad canned meat...