IDE hdd hotswappable - and cable select

Post by Dan Elio » Sat, 26 Sep 1998 04:00:00

some time ago i posted asking about the possibility of using hot-swappable
ide hard disk drives on my linux box. (thanks to Bruce and todd for
replying). I was thinking about how the ide system works. Please correct me
if i am wrong. IDE uses a master and slave system that means removing the
master device from the system will cause the slave device to stop operating
correctly. This would not be acceptable for the problem i am working on as
i am trying to acheive a hard disk preparation system that would be working
on both master and slave disks continuously.

Then i though about setting the devices to cable select mode. Can anyone
tell me a little information about this mode. As far as i know you use a
different sort of data cable that identifies which hard disk is which (much
like the floppy drives).

If i can setup the system using cable select, will the ide driver be able
to reprobe for the disk geometry for any newly added disks.

thanks in advance....

See ya

dan

1. IDE hdd hotswappable and cable select

[...]

2. Yggdrasil P&P LINUX Fall94 No Mouse under XWin-Please Help

3. Removeable and hotswappable IDE Hard drives??

4. CMU SNMP V2.1 location request

5. Hard drives, cables, controllers: Cable Select, vs other ??

6. How to redirect 'killed' output

7. 2 IDE HDD and 1 IDE CDROM kernel supporting problem

8. Help - Cannot find eth0

9. added a 3rd FAST IDE HDD, and I cannot access my IDE ATAPI CDROM

10. IDE CD-ROM's & IDE HDD

11. HDD chip select decode addresses

12. Matrox Mystique ands X.

13. Workings of "Cable Select" jumpering