install problems, redhat 6.2 vs redhat 7.2 on PC-104+ single board computer

install problems, redhat 6.2 vs redhat 7.2 on PC-104+ single board computer

Post by Dan Smal » Wed, 12 Dec 2001 02:22:30

Hi all,

This is my first venture into trying to create a (pseudo) embedded
system, so please pardon the naivete.

I am trying to install redhat 7.2 on a Tiny886ULP-X from Advanced Micro
Peripherals (UK).  This is a PC-104+ single board computer with a 666mhz
transmeta, 256mb ram, video, ethernet, a 132mb compactflash on the IDE
as the primary master (looks like a disk), and an ATAPI compatible CDROM.

So, I boot off the CD, and .....

The symptom is that the CD boots fine, but cannot proceed past keyboard
selection. I select English as the language, US as the keyboard, and
then it goes to look for the install files on the CD, and asks me where
to find the installation files, giving me the hard drive as the only
option to install from.

Redhat 6.2 boots and installs fine, with the exception that I can't get
it to install with under 132mb of flashdisk space.  However, it does
find the files on the CD,(it does not prompt for me to show it where the
files are on the hard drive) and allows me to reformat/repartition the
flash-disk and select install packages before it tells me there's not
enough diskspace. So, if I did have enough space on the flash (which I
will soon) I could install 6.2 just fine.

I have been suspecting that the 7.2 boot kernel is trying to do
something fancy with DMA/UDMA on the CDROM, so I have tried booting by
passing the flag "linux ide=nodma" to the boot kernel. This yielded
exactly the same results.

I'd like to get 7.2 up because of the 1394 support in their standard kernel.

Thanks,

Dan

Post by Edward C. Baile » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 03:38:40

Dan> I am trying to install redhat 7.2 on a Tiny886ULP-X from Advanced
Dan> Micro Peripherals (UK).  This is a PC-104+ single board computer with
Dan> a 666mhz transmeta, 256mb ram, video, ethernet, a 132mb compactflash
Dan> on the IDE as the primary master (looks like a disk), and an ATAPI
Dan> compatible CDROM.

Sounds like a pretty cool little unit! :-)

Dan> So, I boot off the CD, and .....

Dan> The symptom is that the CD boots fine, but cannot proceed past
Dan> keyboard selection.
Dan> Redhat 6.2 boots and installs fine, with the exception that I can't
Dan> get it to install with under 132mb of flashdisk space.
Dan> I'd like to get 7.2 up because of the 1394 support in their standard
Dan> kernel.

This sounds an awful lot like a personal project I'm playing with at home.
I have a set-top box that I want to boot off a 128MB CompactFlash card.
Since this system is very constrained, I temporarily connected a CD and
disk drive to the single IDE channel on the system, and installed Red Hat
Linux 7.2 to the disk drive.

But... I partitioned the drive with an empty 128MB partition right at the
front of the drive.  After booting, I then started to figure out exactly
which RPMs I needed to install in my little 128MB "sandbox".

After I had come up with a list of the RPMs, I copied them into a
directory, and then basically formatted my sandbox, and did one massive
"rpm -Uvh *.rpm" into the sandbox, and then ran lilo on it so I could boot
my sandbox.  I then started looking at everything I needed to do to get the
sandbox environment ready for its intended function, and incorporated those
changes into the script.

It's now to the point where I can just run the script and get a fresh,
minty-flavored install done in about five minutes. :-)

I still have some more hacking to do on it to finish things up, but it's
about 90% done.  So I'd suggest just doing something like this; in the long
run it's a lot easier than trying to get a full-blown install running on
such minimal hardware...

                    Just my $0.02,

                            Ed
--
Ed Bailey        Red Hat, Inc.          http://www.redhat.com/

install problems, redhat 6.2 vs redhat 7.2 on PC-104+ single board computer

Post by Jan Panteltj » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 07:16:39

On a sunny day (12 Dec 2001 13:38:40 -0500) it happened "Edward C. Bailey"

>Dan> I am trying to install redhat 7.2 on a Tiny886ULP-X from Advanced
>Dan> Micro Peripherals (UK).  This is a PC-104+ single board computer with
>Dan> a 666mhz transmeta, 256mb ram, video, ethernet, a 132mb compactflash
>Dan> on the IDE as the primary master (looks like a disk), and an ATAPI
>Dan> compatible CDROM.

>Sounds like a pretty cool little unit! :-)

>Dan> So, I boot off the CD, and .....

>Dan> The symptom is that the CD boots fine, but cannot proceed past
>Dan> keyboard selection.
>Dan> Redhat 6.2 boots and installs fine, with the exception that I can't
>Dan> get it to install with under 132mb of flashdisk space.

Please note that at least in RH6.1 the kernel (2.2.12-20) ONLY supports
up to 32 GB diskspace.
It seems only much later kernels go above that limit.
RH7.2 is reported OK by someone here.... (from kernel 2.4 up perhaps?)
Regards Jan

1. Problem installing Linux on PC/104 Computer

I'm trying to install linux on a WinSystems PC/104 486 100 MHz computer for
remote site networking.  I have trouble booting from a Linux boot disk.  At
the point where ramdisks are initialized (16 4096 byte ramdisks), the boot
process seems to hang.  I have 8 megs of memory on my computer, so that
shouldn't be a problem.  I even took the hard disk and installed linux on
it using my desktop pc, and then transferred the hd back to the pc/104
machine.  The boot process still hangs at the same place.  Does anyone have
any suggestions??

Thanks for your help!

2. Howto fix code to work on redhat due to modversions/wrong symbols ?

3. Redhat 6.2 with kernel 2.4.x or Redhat 7.2 ?

4. "newbi" Error on boot to X-Windows.

5. pc-104 boards

6. Slip

7. Installing Linux on a PC-104 embedded PC

8. CDROM-How to install?

9. RedHat 6.1 vs Redhat 6.2

10. installing to a compact-flash on a PC-104

11. Installing Linux Os on PC-104 motherboard

12. KDE crashes on start in RedHat 6.2 to 7.2 upgrade

13. PC/104 A/D boards with Linux support?