Tavan tape not recognized

Post by Terry Hutchinso » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 10:06:14

I'm reposting this because after I answered the questions from my first
post I didn't get any responses back.  I'm hoping my response just got
missed.  If I don't get any response this time I'll go quietly away and
assume this mystery will not be solved.  Maybe then I'll try some sort of
partition copy as a poor man's backup.

Anyhow, here's the story of my tape drive that Linux insists does not exist.

When I try to actually write to it I get the error:
Cannot open: No such device

Configuration Details...

The machine actually has a dual boot (grub) with windows.  The drive works
flawlessly under windows.  Of course we don't really want windows, but it
does establish all is well on a hardware level.

Specifically there are no ID conflicts and it is terminated properly.

-----------------------------------
Info from /etc/sysconfig/hwconf:

class: SCSI
bus: PCI
detached: 0
driver: aic7xxx
desc: "Adaptec|AIC-7881U"
vendorId: 9004
deviceId: 8178
subVendorId: 9004
subDeviceId: 7881
pciType: 1
-
class: TAPE
bus: SCSI
detached: 0
device: st
driver: ignore
desc: "Seagate STT8000N"
host: 1
id: 4
channel: 0
lun: 0
-

-----------------------------------
*** Here's the only part that seems not quite right
cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: ATAPI    Model: CD-R/RW 24X10    Rev: P.GJ
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02

Notice that there is no tape drive listed but the IDE CD-ROM is (Thanks to
ken for some insight here)

-----------------------------------
Using root:
dmesg does NOT produce any additional logging after a tar -cvf /dev/st0 *

Yes, the st modules IS loaded

Module                  Size  Used by
st                     26304   0 (autoclean) (unused)

-----------------------------------
There is no /dev/tape device defined.
What is defined is:
/dev/nst0   /dev/nst0l  /dev/osst0   /dev/osst0l  /dev/st0   /dev/st0l
/dev/nst0a  /dev/nst0m  /dev/osst0a  /dev/osst0m  /dev/st0a  /dev/st0m

Tavan tape not recognized

Post by Juergen Pfan » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 17:08:56

> I'm reposting this because after I answered the questions from my first
> post I didn't get any responses back.  I'm hoping my response just got
> missed.  If I don't get any response this time I'll go quietly away and
> assume this mystery will not be solved.  Maybe then I'll try some sort of
> partition copy as a poor man's backup.

You don't want to apply pressure to us , do you ?
At least I don't always have enough time to answer the questions
I'd like to, unfortunately...

Quote:> Anyhow, here's the story of my tape drive that Linux insists does not exist.

> When I try to actually write to it I get the error:
> Cannot open: No such device

> Configuration Details...
> (...)

> -----------------------------------
> Info from /etc/sysconfig/hwconf:

> class: SCSI
> bus: PCI
> detached: 0
> driver: aic7xxx

          ^^^^^^^

Quote:> desc: "Adaptec|AIC-7881U"
> vendorId: 9004
> deviceId: 8178
> subVendorId: 9004
> subDeviceId: 7881
> pciType: 1
> -
> class: TAPE
> bus: SCSI
> detached: 0
> device: st
> driver: ignore
> desc: "Seagate STT8000N"
> host: 1
> id: 4
> channel: 0
> lun: 0
> -

> -----------------------------------
> *** Here's the only part that seems not quite right
> cat /proc/scsi/scsi
> Attached devices:
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
>   Vendor: ATAPI    Model: CD-R/RW 24X10    Rev: P.GJ
>   Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02

> Notice that there is no tape drive listed but the IDE CD-ROM is (Thanks to
> ken for some insight here)

> -----------------------------------

Is the tape drive your only device on the Adaptec SCSI bus ?

Quote:> Using root:
> dmesg does NOT produce any additional logging after a tar -cvf /dev/st0 *

But _does_ it log your Adaptec HA, at least, or doesn't it ?

Quote:> Yes, the st modules IS loaded

> Module                  Size  Used by
> st                     26304   0 (autoclean) (unused)

> -----------------------------------
> There is no /dev/tape device defined.
> What is defined is:
> /dev/nst0   /dev/nst0l  /dev/osst0   /dev/osst0l  /dev/st0   /dev/st0l
> /dev/nst0a  /dev/nst0m  /dev/osst0a  /dev/osst0m  /dev/st0a  /dev/st0m

You didn't tell us, if a driver for your HA proper (i.e. aic7xx - see
above) is/gets loaded on booting, or if not.
In the latter case, try a manual 'modprobe aic7xx' first (as root).

Then, we'll go on diagnosing - or does this already solve your
problem ?

Juergen

Tavan tape not recognized

Post by Terry Hutchinso » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 07:52:19

Thank you very much.  Indeed the Adaptec SCSI module was not loaded.

I (obviously) should have noticed that.  I just go so hung up on the CD-RW
drive's SCSI emulation that I nodded off at the very wrong time.

Thanks agin!

> [...]

> Is the tape drive your only device on the Adaptec SCSI bus ?

>> Using root:
>> dmesg does NOT produce any additional logging after a tar -cvf /dev/st0 *

> But _does_ it log your Adaptec HA, at least, or doesn't it ?

>> Yes, the st modules IS loaded

>> Module                  Size  Used by
>> st                     26304   0 (autoclean) (unused)

>> -----------------------------------
>> There is no /dev/tape device defined.
>> What is defined is:
>> /dev/nst0   /dev/nst0l  /dev/osst0   /dev/osst0l  /dev/st0   /dev/st0l
>> /dev/nst0a  /dev/nst0m  /dev/osst0a  /dev/osst0m  /dev/st0a  /dev/st0m

> You didn't tell us, if a driver for your HA proper (i.e. aic7xx - see
> above) is/gets loaded on booting, or if not.
> In the latter case, try a manual 'modprobe aic7xx' first (as root).

> Then, we'll go on diagnosing - or does this already solve your

Tavan tape not recognized

Post by Michae » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 12:11:28

Are you loading ide-scsi emulation in the kernel? I asked because it
appears your atapi cdrom is being reported as scsi device using such
ide-scsi emulation, as it should. But maybe you should compile kernel
again without this ide-scsi emulation in kernel and see if tape can be
seen in scsi device list from proc

Just a thought

On Tue, 05 Feb 2002 01:06:14 GMT, Terry Hutchinson

>I'm reposting this because after I answered the questions from my first
>post I didn't get any responses back.  I'm hoping my response just got
>missed.  If I don't get any response this time I'll go quietly away and
>assume this mystery will not be solved.  Maybe then I'll try some sort of
>partition copy as a poor man's backup.

>Anyhow, here's the story of my tape drive that Linux insists does not exist.

>When I try to actually write to it I get the error:
>Cannot open: No such device

>Configuration Details...

>The machine actually has a dual boot (grub) with windows.  The drive works
>flawlessly under windows.  Of course we don't really want windows, but it
>does establish all is well on a hardware level.

>Specifically there are no ID conflicts and it is terminated properly.

>-----------------------------------
>Info from /etc/sysconfig/hwconf:

>class: SCSI
>bus: PCI
>detached: 0
>driver: aic7xxx
>desc: "Adaptec|AIC-7881U"
>vendorId: 9004
>deviceId: 8178
>subVendorId: 9004
>subDeviceId: 7881
>pciType: 1
>-
>class: TAPE
>bus: SCSI
>detached: 0
>device: st
>driver: ignore
>desc: "Seagate STT8000N"
>host: 1
>id: 4
>channel: 0
>lun: 0
>-

>-----------------------------------
>*** Here's the only part that seems not quite right
>cat /proc/scsi/scsi
>Attached devices:
>Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
>  Vendor: ATAPI    Model: CD-R/RW 24X10    Rev: P.GJ
>  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02

>Notice that there is no tape drive listed but the IDE CD-ROM is (Thanks to
>ken for some insight here)

>-----------------------------------
>Using root:
>dmesg does NOT produce any additional logging after a tar -cvf /dev/st0 *

>Yes, the st modules IS loaded

>Module                  Size  Used by
>st                     26304   0 (autoclean) (unused)

>-----------------------------------
>There is no /dev/tape device defined.
>What is defined is:
>/dev/nst0   /dev/nst0l  /dev/osst0   /dev/osst0l  /dev/st0   /dev/st0l
>/dev/nst0a  /dev/nst0m  /dev/osst0a  /dev/osst0m  /dev/st0a  /dev/st0m

1. ADAPTEC 1542B DOES NOT RECOGNIZE SCSI TAPE DRIVE AND SCSI TAPE ?

This sounds like an error condition.
No. In all cases the LUN should be "0" since all of the devices that
you have contain imbedded SCSI controllers. The Physical address should be
what each device is strapped as, on the device itself.

You should also run ASPI4DOS and ASPITAPE to get the most out of the
configuration. I have a Wangtek 150 MB tape drive, but I gave up on it - it
is a useless piece of steel and wires. I now use an Archive 2150S.

I hope this helps.

--
---
Michael Burke

Sea Change Corporation
6695 Millcreek Drive, Unit 8
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada L5N 5R8
Tel: 416-542-9484  Fax: 416-542-9479
UUCP: ...!uunet!uunet.ca!seachg!burke

2. Novice compiling Apache

3. Ultra 5 Solaris 7 will not recognize 4mm DDS2 tape drive

4. Ftape: "fdc not ready" in fdc_result()

5. AHA1542B will not recognize Viper Tape

6. mozilla hangs on SS20 with dialup

7. tape drive not recognized

8. Slackware: sz doesn't work (rz does), also minor mail problem

9. ADAPTEC 1542B DOES NOT RECOGNIZE SCSI CD-ROM and TAPE

10. AHA1542B will not recognize Viper Tape

11. scsi tape not recognized

12. Tape drive not recognized

13. Solaris 9 and HP DDS-3 tape drives (with NetBackup 5) not recognizing potential capacity