Brother HL-1050 vs HL-1060

Post by David Fenye » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

After looking at printers (I bought a NEC 870 which I'm about to
return, since it won't support 600x600 under Linux), it appears to me
that the Brother HL-10[56]0 printers look like the best deal.

The choices seem to be:

HL-1060: No longer manufactured, can be found for $269, support
Postscript 2 emulation for $140, us a 20MHz MIPS-chip, PCL-5 support.

HL-1070: New machine, around $399, no plans for Postscript, has USB,
uses 66MHz SPARC-compatibly processor, PCL-6 support.

For the same price, the tradeoff is between doing Postscript on the
printer on a 20MHz machine, or doing it with ghostscript on the PII
and sending it to the 1050.  I'm thinking that the Brother PS-2
emulation is unlikely to be better or faster than gs-5.10, and if USB
will be supported under Linux, then the data transfer rates should
support fast printing even if rasterization happens on the host.

Does anyone have any experience or feedback with either of these?
Also, does anyone know a major chain that sells these printers at
reasonable prices?

Thanks,

David.

--
David Fenyes                               University of Texas Medical School

1. Setting up Brother HL-1040 or HL-1050 laser printer

Has anyone set up Linux to print to a Brother HL-1040 or HL-1050 laser
printer? If so, can you email me your printcap file? I've looked at the
list of printers in Red Hat's printtool but I don't see anything that
might be close enough. TIA

-- Ludio Nieves --

2. IDE Hard Drives with > 1024 Cylinders???

3. Brother HL-1050 with Ghostscript

4. file sharing

5. Brother HL-1050 Laserprinter

6. ACPI: do not have *two* acpi_power_off

7. brother hl-1050

8. TNT help in RedHat

9. Lexmark E322 vs. Brother HL-1450

10. Printer driver for Brother HL-720

11. Laser Printer by Brother (HL-1240)

12. bi-directional parallel ports/brother HL-630

13. Magicfilter for Brother HL-760