Modem Port not responding?

Post by Peter J. Thomps » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I've just installed RedHat 5.2 and was all set to configure ppp only
to discover that my modem port is inaccessible.

The dialer gets a tcgetattr() error code 5.

setserial says the UART is unknown.

/proc/ioports does not ref the address area for the port which should
be 2f8 for /dev/ttyS1 ie. COM2

COM2 on the motherboard is disabled in the BIOS -  the modem card is
COM2 and is also a sound card.

COM1 (ttyS0) shows up just fine.

Is this a PnP issue - If so What do I need to do to get ttyS1
recognised?

The weird thing is that this identical hardware ran fine with Debian
1.3 so I know the darn thing can work on Linux.

_Pete_

Modem Port not responding?

Post by Mickey Stei » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Just wanted to join in and say that I'm having the identical problem.
'setserial /dev/ttyS2' returns that error, yet there is a com3 port on
windows working fine. It also worked fine with 5.1 --
   any ideas would be appreciated,
       tia, Mick

> Hi,

> I've just installed RedHat 5.2 and was all set to configure ppp only
> to discover that my modem port is inaccessible.

> The dialer gets a tcgetattr() error code 5.

> setserial says the UART is unknown.

> /proc/ioports does not ref the address area for the port which should
> be 2f8 for /dev/ttyS1 ie. COM2

> COM2 on the motherboard is disabled in the BIOS -  the modem card is
> COM2 and is also a sound card.

> COM1 (ttyS0) shows up just fine.

> Is this a PnP issue - If so What do I need to do to get ttyS1
> recognised?

> The weird thing is that this identical hardware ran fine with Debian
> 1.3 so I know the darn thing can work on Linux.

> _Pete_

Modem Port not responding?

Post by Peter J. Thomps » Wed, 02 Dec 1998 04:00:00

The answer seems to to use the isapnptools to correctly configure any
ISA devices that are otherwise overlooked.  I have the output from
pnpdump and it not only found my modem but also sound card, game port
and a couple of other odds & ends that I can't identify yet.

I plan on trying to use isapnp to config the modem tonight and if that
works, I'll worry about the sound card.

_Pete_

>Just wanted to join in and say that I'm having the identical problem.
>'setserial /dev/ttyS2' returns that error, yet there is a com3 port on
>windows working fine. It also worked fine with 5.1 --
>   any ideas would be appreciated,
>       tia, Mick

>> Hi,

>> I've just installed RedHat 5.2 and was all set to configure ppp only
>> to discover that my modem port is inaccessible.

>> The dialer gets a tcgetattr() error code 5.

>> setserial says the UART is unknown.

>> /proc/ioports does not ref the address area for the port which should
>> be 2f8 for /dev/ttyS1 ie. COM2

>> COM2 on the motherboard is disabled in the BIOS -  the modem card is
>> COM2 and is also a sound card.

>> COM1 (ttyS0) shows up just fine.

>> Is this a PnP issue - If so What do I need to do to get ttyS1
>> recognised?

>> The weird thing is that this identical hardware ran fine with Debian
>> 1.3 so I know the darn thing can work on Linux.

>> _Pete_

Modem Port not responding?

Post by Peter J. Thomps » Thu, 03 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>The answer seems to to use the isapnptools to correctly configure any
>ISA devices that are otherwise overlooked.  I have the output from
>pnpdump and it not only found my modem but also sound card, game port
>and a couple of other odds & ends that I can't identify yet.

>I plan on trying to use isapnp to config the modem tonight and if that
>works, I'll worry about the sound card.

I examined the hardware config in Windoze and noted everything that
looked relevant concerning address ranges and IRQ's -- there's
actually a print option on the Control panel Device Manager window.

I gave my previously dumped (and renamed) /etc/isapnp.conf file a good
dose of lookin' at and removed the coments that closely matched the
Windows config for COM2 i.e. ttyS1.

I ran isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf and got no * errors.

I ran setserial /dev/ttyS1 uart 16550A

Then I used minicom to attempt to manually dial and _ bingo _ it
worked!!!

Note that the /etc/isapnp.conf file is used during boot so you don't
need to invoke it manually.  I still need to add the setserial command
to one of the .rc files so that the uart gets setup automatically.

I didn't have time yesterday but today, I'll try to config the sound
card and see what trouble I can get into.

My initial goal was to config ppp -- I have 'free' internet access
through my employer's server but it is a WinNT box so I need to build
pppd with MSCHAP.  If I get that working I'll post the steps etc.

Hope this helps others with similar problems:)

_Pete_

1. Odd Modem Problem (Modem not responding) (Not a WinModem!)

I've been around Linux off and on since kernel .99.15o, so believe me
when I say that this is _not_ a WinModem problem. :)

I just installed Debian "potato".  Clean install, and few problems,
but I can not make this box talk to my modems.   When I start minicom,
everything I type gets echoed back, but the modem doesn't respond
(other than to echo back what I type).  The echoing is odd-- it
only echoes the carriage return when I hit <enter>; I can manually
type a new line, but that doesn't help.   The modem doesn't act
on anything I type; e.g. typing "atdt33333" doesn't make any noise
(and should; at least the external modem I'm _sure_ is set to
make noise, since it does when hooked up to another machine, and that's
the factory default).

Just so you know I'm not crazy:
        It's not an interrupt problem.  The same thing happens with an
        external and an internal problem, and with seterial /dev/ttyS2 irq 0
        Moreover, I'm setting the interrupt by jumper.

        It's not a setserial problem.  If minicom isn't talking to the
        right port, then nothing gets echoed back.  Only when it's talking
        to the right port do I even see the echoing.

        I did get the external modem to talk back, by telling  it to ignore
        DTR.  However, that caused other problems (most notably, my ppp
        connection getting garbage that caused it to hang up; my ISP is
        a bit draconian :)

        statserial shows DTR always 1, DCD always 0.  I can give more info
        if necessary.

        The modems are a Gateway Telepath ISA (w/ jumpers :) and a USR 28.8
        Fax/Modem.  The box is a gateway P5-120 that I got for $25.

Any ideas?  I'm open to suggestions...

Thanks in advance,

                Me
--
Disclaimer:  Anything I said, writ, or thought in my life should not
necessarily be held or thought to imply any view, opinion, or idea

2. Audio CD play problem

3. USR Internal modem (2nd serial port) not responding

4. Suncoast LUG Meetings

5. Modem gives "Sorry, modem is not responding"

6. root ssh for script but no rlogin

7. Problem with KPPP and Aopen FM56-ITU modem *sorry, modem is not responding*

8. Help: setting up linux with more than 64 Megs or Ram

9. Machine not responding on a port

10. Q: Apache does not respond w/multiple ports

11. "Port mapper on server 10.10.254.75 is not responding"

12. POP3 port 110 not responding?

13. Help. Data pins in parallel port not responding