Power-off after shutdown under Linux

Post by Gai S » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 03:21:32

I have a Dell PowerEdge 350 server that I cannot get to power off
after shutdown under Linux, try as I might! I have tried enabling all
of the apm and acpi (after patching) options in the kernel. I have
tried all combinations of apm=on|off apci=off|on. I do not use
modules, so there's no need for "insmod apm". I've scoured the BIOS
and cannot find any relevent options. I have even installed the apmd
package, which of course has no effect.

Under some of the above combinations, when I press the power buttion
after OS shutdown (after the console says "Power down.") the kernel
tells me "apm: suspend: Power management disabled", which I'm afraid
translates to "non-apm compliant BIOS"

Here's my environment:

OS: Debian Linux 3.0
Kernel: Linux 2.4.21 + LIDS 1.1.2 patch + ACPM patch + FreeS/WAN 2.0
patch
(I have tried disabling LIDS)
BIOS: AMIBIOS TR440BXA.86B.0045.P17.0109240937

Can anyone help? Many thanks.

Power-off after shutdown under Linux

Post by Dances With Crow » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 03:56:08

On 27 Jun 2003 11:21:32 -0700, Gai Sum staggered into the Black Sun and
said:

Quote:> I have a Dell PowerEdge 350 server that I cannot get to power off
> after shutdown under Linux, try as I might!

x86 machines with more than 1 CPU will not power off automatically
under Linux AFAIK, because the halt code is not SMP-safe.  (Er, why does
it need to be?  You have to be in runlevel 0 for halt to work, all
filesystems umounted or mounted read-only, all processes kill -TERMed,
etcetera.  IANAKernelHacker though.)  Does your machine have more
than 1 CPU?

Quote:> I do not use modules

??!  It's a bad idea to do that in most cases.  What do you hope to gain
from not using modules?  Adding a new device can be as simple as
"modprobe FOO", bouncing/resetting a troublesome device can be as simple
as "rmmod FOO && modprobe FOO", but without modules, you've gotta
recompile and/or reboot.  Also, some things (PPP compression, LoseModem
support, 3D support for some graphics cards, support for all manner of
semi-esoteric hardware) are *only* available as modules.

Quote:> Under some of the above combinations, when I press the power buttion
> after OS shutdown (after the console says "Power down.") the kernel
> tells me "apm: suspend: Power management disabled", which I'm afraid
> translates to "non-apm compliant BIOS"

Many x86 machines have a setting in the BIOS where you choose how the
machine responds to a power-button press.  Usual choices are "suspend",
"off", "off after 4 seconds".  Make sure this is set to what you want.

Quote:> Debian Linux 3.0
> kernel 2.4.21 + LIDS 1.1.2 patch + ACPM patch + FreeS/WAN 2.0 patch
> (I have tried disabling LIDS)
> BIOS: AMIBIOS TR440BXA.86B.0045.P17.0109240937

Hard to say.  The Poweredge systems I've had experience with are left on
24/7, and only powered off when there's a problem requiring
sysadmin-type attention.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /

Post by John-Paul Stewar » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 04:27:49

> On 27 Jun 2003 11:21:32 -0700, Gai Sum staggered into the Black Sun and
> said:
> > I have a Dell PowerEdge 350 server that I cannot get to power off
> > after shutdown under Linux, try as I might!

> x86 machines with more than 1 CPU will not power off automatically
> under Linux AFAIK, because the halt code is not SMP-safe.  (

That's not true.  I've got SMP machines (dual Xeon and dual P-III)
running 2.4.21 that power off just fine.  Note, however, that I am _not_
using the ACPI patch from Sourceforge, only the ACPI support in the
kernel.org source tree.  From my kernel config:

#
# ACPI Support
#
CONFIG_ACPI=y
# CONFIG_ACPI_HT_ONLY is not set
CONFIG_ACPI_BOOT=y
CONFIG_ACPI_BUS=y
CONFIG_ACPI_INTERPRETER=y
CONFIG_ACPI_EC=y
CONFIG_ACPI_POWER=y
CONFIG_ACPI_PCI=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SYSTEM=y
CONFIG_ACPI_AC=m
# CONFIG_ACPI_BATTERY is not set
CONFIG_ACPI_BUTTON=m
CONFIG_ACPI_FAN=m
CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR=m
CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL=m
# CONFIG_ACPI_TOSHIBA is not set
# CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG is not set

Note that at the moment, none of those modules ever get loaded.  (I
built them for testing/experimentation purposes.)  IIRC, only
CONFIG_ACPI and CONFIG_ACPI_POWER are really necessary for poweroff.  I
also don't have to pass any kernel parameters either.

Somewhere I read that APM can also be used to power off an SMP system if
you build an SMP kernel with APM support and pass the boot parameter
"apm=poweroff" to the kernel.  Search Google/Google Groups for details
if you can't get ACPI working.

Of course, the final caveat to this is that if your machine
(hardware?...BIOS?...not sure) doesn't support it, no software will be
able to power off your machine.

Power-off after shutdown under Linux

Post by Gai S » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 08:32:23

Quote:> On 27 Jun 2003 11:21:32 -0700, Gai Sum staggered into the Black Sun and
> said:
> > I have a Dell PowerEdge 350 server that I cannot get to power off
> > after shutdown under Linux, try as I might!

> x86 machines with more than 1 CPU will not power off automatically
> under Linux AFAIK, because the halt code is not SMP-safe.  (Er, why does
> it need to be?  You have to be in runlevel 0 for halt to work, all
> filesystems umounted or mounted read-only, all processes kill -TERMed,
> etcetera.  IANAKernelHacker though.)  Does your machine have more
> than 1 CPU?

I agree. Odd. It is a single cpu machine, though, and smp is disabled.

Quote:

> > I do not use modules

> ??!  It's a bad idea to do that in most cases.  What do you hope to gain
> from not using modules?  Adding a new device can be as simple as
> "modprobe FOO", bouncing/resetting a troublesome device can be as simple
> as "rmmod FOO && modprobe FOO", but without modules, you've gotta
> recompile and/or reboot.  Also, some things (PPP compression, LoseModem
> support, 3D support for some graphics cards, support for all manner of
> semi-esoteric hardware) are *only* available as modules.

Works for me! (tm)

Quote:

> > Under some of the above combinations, when I press the power buttion
> > after OS shutdown (after the console says "Power down.") the kernel
> > tells me "apm: suspend: Power management disabled", which I'm afraid
> > translates to "non-apm compliant BIOS"

> Many x86 machines have a setting in the BIOS where you choose how the
> machine responds to a power-button press.  Usual choices are "suspend",
> "off", "off after 4 seconds".  Make sure this is set to what you want.

No such setting.

Quote:> > Debian Linux 3.0
> > kernel 2.4.21 + LIDS 1.1.2 patch + ACPM patch + FreeS/WAN 2.0 patch
> > (I have tried disabling LIDS)
> > BIOS: AMIBIOS TR440BXA.86B.0045.P17.0109240937

> Hard to say.  The Poweredge systems I've had experience with are left on
> 24/7, and only powered off when there's a problem requiring
> sysadmin-type attention.

This is in an effort to have everything shut down in response to
server room environment problems (eg temperature). So the machines
need to power down. All of the other options seem kludgy.

Power-off after shutdown under Linux

Post by Jeff Marti » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 14:52:03

ACPI implementations in BIOS vary wildly in quality. There's even a set of
blacklisted motherboards/BIOSes that no matter what you configure, the
kernel knows not to try to get it to shutdown. You might see if your
motherboard/BIOS is on that list.

Ensure that your bios is the latest. Maybe it's something they've already
fixed.

Ask Dell. They do linux and probably know a whole lot of relevant details.

And the FAQ at http://lists.us.dell.com/faq or search the list

Post by Joern Abat » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 17:57:05

> I have tried enabling all
> of the apm and acpi (after patching) options in the kernel. I have
> tried all combinations of apm=on|off apci=off|on. I do not use
> modules, so there's no need for "insmod apm". I've scoured the BIOS
> and cannot find any relevent options. I have even installed the apmd
> package, which of course has no effect.

I think, you are supposed to use either APM or ACPI, not both of them.
I activated only three APM kernel options: "Enable PM at boot time",
"Make CPU idle calls", and "Enable console blanking".
My "append" line in lilo.conf is: append="apm=power-off".

Joern

      <><><><><><><>   The Worlds Uncensored News Source   <><><><><><><><>

Post by Robert E A Harv » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 20:24:41

> > On 27 Jun 2003 11:21:32 -0700, Gai Sum staggered into the Black Sun and
> > said:
> > > I have a Dell PowerEdge 350 server that I cannot get to power off
> > > after shutdown under Linux, try as I might!

> > x86 machines with more than 1 CPU will not power off automatically
> > under Linux AFAIK, because the halt code is not SMP-safe.  (

> That's not true.  I've got SMP machines (dual Xeon and dual P-III)
> running 2.4.21 that power off just fine.  Note, however, that I am _not_
> using the ACPI patch from Sourceforge, only the ACPI support in the
> kernel.org source tree.  From my kernel config:

My K7D dual AMD powers down perfectly well.  The Bios is
out-of-the-box and the installation is perfectly standard Suse (7.3 to
8.2 all worked fine).

I had to change power supplies to get it to work properly, the first
one I had turned off the 3.3V but not the 5V.  The original was an
expensive 2-fan 450W one, the replacement a backstreet 350W to which I
added a second fan and modified the airflow route.    The 450W one was
sold as "AMD approved" but I am sure it must have been a lie - the
"power good" line did not respect timings either, even though the
motherboard seemed not to mind.

1. RH 7.2 Power Management, power-off on shutdown?

Hi,

I  am using  an SMP  machine  (Tyan 1836  dual uprocessors).  Previous
versions of  RH allowed me  to power-off the machine  during shutdown,
but  I  am  not  able  to  shutoff the  power  using  RH  7.2.   Tried
recompiling the kernel,  etc.  Has anyone gotten power-off  to work on
an SMP?  I would love some suggestions.

Thanks,

marc

--

2. Setup X for ATI All In Wonder Rage 128

3. Shutdown won't Power-off using SuSE-6.1

4. lost+found directory is a mess

5. Can power-off call shutdown ?

6. SWAT on RH73

7. Power-off on shutdown?

8. Soyo SY-K7V Dragon PlusMotherboard

9. Automatic power-off of an RS/6000 following issuance of "shutdown" command

10. Propper shutdown on power-off

11. Shutdown won't Power-off using SuSE-6.1

12. System power-off on shutdown, 2.4.1?

13. Auto power-off with halt or shutdown?