mkraid hangs

Post by Bryan K. Wrigh » Fri, 12 Jul 2002 03:21:27

Hi folks,

        Here's the scenario: I have six IDE disks, each on
a separate controller, running under Red Hat 7.2 with
kernel-2.4.9-34 (Red Hat's version).  The motherboard is an
Asus a7v266-e.  I find that when I try to use these disks
in a RAID-5 configuration, mkraid (and everything else) hangs.
The only way to recover is to hit the reset button.

        The same software and hardware (except for the motherboard)
works fine in another machine.  Have I hit a problem specific to
this Asus motherboard?  If so, any suggestions?

        By the way, as an experiment I've tried configuring the
disks into a RAID-0 array, and it seems to work fine.  I only
see the problem when I try to use RAID-5.

                                Thanks in advance,
                                Bryan

Bryan Wright                |"If you take cranberries and stew them like
Physics Department          | applesauce, they taste much more like prunes
University of *ia      | than rhubarb does."  --  Groucho
C*tesville, VA  22901  |

1. Hang, Hang, Hangs. No hopes!

I recently got a linux distrubtion off the internet.  It is Redhat
Linux Professional Version 8.  I think this is a new version, as im
only a newbie to the scene, but was wanting to give linux a shot.

I have a Dell Lattitude XPi P150ST with 48mb.  I run the installation
program off a boot floppy and then off the cdroms, since my laptop
never supported booting straight from CD, I used the rawrite app.

The installation program worked, I choose all the preferences and
options, but then when the installation program was about to install
programs, etc, it come up with an error message, it told me to post it
on the redhat website.  I scrolled down and the message said something
about not having enough memory to perform a certain task, as far as I
could make out.  It was a erron error or something?.

Im going to try to install it again, with the installation program
that you can do through the text interface, instead of the graphical
one.  First impressions, I did like the setup program, but not quite
when it said there was an error. - If i didnt have enough memory to
continue with installation would it not tell me straight out that I
didnt have the memory, instead of an error message.  The message had a
good few lines of programing lines or something - leave that to the
programmers!

A wannabe Linux user. Maybe.

2. Iowait problem...

3. Raid (mkraid) problems, and patching problems

4. Cool Startup script for apachectl for linux?

5. Problems with mkraid

6. AutoResponder

7. mkraid does not work

8. Proxy server

9. mkpv and mkraid give Segmentation fault... HELP!

10. Persistent Superblock, mkraid (SoftRAID)

11. RAID under kernel 2.2.18: mkraid aborted

12. help needed with md (mkraid)

13. mkraid