16650 UART based boards

Post by Mizser Krisztia » Thu, 14 Aug 1997 04:00:00

 Hi,

 Does anyone use 16650 UART based serial boards? I'm going to buy an external
 ISDN adapter and need some info. It seems that kernel version 2.0.30 doesn't
 support 16650s very well (there's something about disabled FIFO in serial.c).
 In the latest 2.1 kernels support is present for them as I can see, but since
 they are development kernels I don't wanna use them for a system that needs
 to be considerably stable.
 So is there a way to use 2.0 kernels to achieve more than 115200 bps DTE
 speed? If so which serial board do you recommend? ( I'm planning to buy a
 ZyXEL Omni.Net and the store has a high speed serial board made also by
 ZyXEL, anyone using this?)

  Christo

16650 UART based boards

Post by James Youngma » Fri, 15 Aug 1997 04:00:00

    c>  Hi,

    c>  Does anyone use 16650 UART based serial boards? I'm going to
    c> buy an external ISDN adapter and need some info. It seems that
    c> kernel version 2.0.30 doesn't support 16650s very well (there's
    c> something about disabled FIFO in serial.c).  In the latest 2.1
    c> kernels support is present for them as I can see, but since
    c> they are development kernels I don't wanna use them for a
    c> system that needs to be considerably stable.  So is there a way
    c> to use 2.0 kernels to achieve more than 115200 bps DTE speed?
    c> If so which serial board do you recommend? ( I'm planning to
    c> buy a ZyXEL Omni.Net and the store has a high speed serial
    c> board made also by ZyXEL, anyone using this?)

If I recall correctly there is a list of supported multiport serial
cards in the Serial-HOWTO.

1. 16550 Uarts vs 16650 Uarts!

   Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 07:55:31 GMT

   But 230400 and 460800 bps was already possible before that patch!
   It's only the POSIX speedsetting braindamage that disallowed that.

   I am running one line at 7812 bps and one at 76800 bps using a 460800
   baud_base.  That cannot be done using POSIX tcsetospeed even with your
   patch.  You would have to add an infinite series of Bxxxx entries to the
   silly table.

   The TIOCSSERIAL ioctl does it without pain, so I just use that.  Hopefully
   the POSIX folks wake up sometime and add a speed setting call that gets
   an integer argument that directly specifies the bitrate.

Yes, but it's much easier to get application programmers to support
230400 and 460800 if you provide a way to do it within the standard
POSIX framework.  I agree with you that the standard POSIX framework
is.... non-optimal.  However, backwards compatibility with old systems
was a extremely important for the POSIX folks, for better or for worse.

                                                - Ted

2. WINDOWS IS COOL

3. PPP Dialup question...

4. 16650 UART based serial port

5. I am new to UNIX/C programming: HELP!

6. 3com Impact IQ with Lavaport-ISA 16650 UART serial

7. Dave Barry writes about the Microsoft menace

8. 16650 UART Support

9. 16650 UART support ?

10. Latest Setserial? Looking to support *16650* UARTs...

11. will a 16650 uart work under linux?