PCI device vs SCSI device driver

Post by tcs » Wed, 17 Mar 2004 00:04:13

Hi there:
   I am totally confused by those two drivers.
   Here is the brief story. I am working on linux device driver for a
piece of hardware and this is my first time implementing Linux driver.
It's a piece of PCI hardware with two controllers, SD and MS (memory
stick). when I plugged into linux system and boot it, we could see that
Linux (2.4.20, redhat 9) found TWO PCI devices.

   We succeeded finishing a SCSI device driver for the SD part and this
driver works fine. Now, we are stuck when we are trying to implement
hot-plug. We know that PCI supports hot-plug but not SCSI device. we
already told Linux that this is a SCSI device. Can we tell Linux that it
  is BOTH SCSI and PCI device?

thanks in advance

tcs

Post by John-Paul Stewar » Wed, 17 Mar 2004 00:55:44

> We know that PCI supports hot-plug but not SCSI device.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  Are you trying to say Linux doesn't
support hot-plugging of SCSI devices?  It does.  You need to do
something like:

echo "scsi add-single-device $DEVICE" >/proc/scsi/scsi

to get it recognized by the SCSI subsystem.  (I'm not sure of the format
for the $DEVICE argument off hand.)  You can also find the
"rescan-scsi-bus.sh" script to automate adding/removing SCSI devices.

1. Device driver devices.pci.scsi missing

Hallo,

after I installed 2 wide differential scsi adapters to a P43/260 under AIX
4.3.1 cfgmgr gives the warning

cfgmgr: 0514-621 WARNING: The following device packages are required for
        device support but are not currently installed.
devices.pci.scsi:devices.pci.00100c00:devices.pci.0c000100

I can not find these drivers on the AIX CDs or on floppys that came with
the adapters .
The adapters do obviously run.

Can I ignore this warning ? If not, where do I find the drivers ?

Thanks,
Martin

2. HP5L printer util

3. need device: devices.pci.b7100010:devices.pci.b7100092

4. Binary Compatibility

5. GXT120P device driver (devices.pci.2b101a05) urgently needed

6. Argumentitive Home Network Question

7. HELP needed: Solaris PCI device driver, device not auto detected.

8. ipf problem

9. PCI SCSI/2 F/W Adapter Device Driver hangs system

10. DPT PCI SCSI Device Driver Support?

11. Device Drivers -- IDE vs. SCSI

12. Device driver calling another device driver.

13. Patch?: linux-2.5.6-pre1/drivers/scsi/pci2000.c compilation fixes + pci device ID table