Need printer drivers for Dell 540

Post by joshbrain.. » Fri, 16 Jun 2006 22:06:47

I need printer drivers for my Dell 540. I've had no luck finding
anything so far. If you can find anything or give me an alternative I
thank you.

I am running debian and using the computer as a server with Samba to
share printing with windows machines.

Post by Chri » Fri, 16 Jun 2006 23:30:42

> I need printer drivers for my Dell 540. I've had no luck finding
> anything so far. If you can find anything or give me an alternative I
> thank you.

I'm afraid you're out of luck. Dell don't (and probably won't ever)
support linux for their non-laser printers.

Dell used to use lexmark as their supplier, so the lexmark drivers used
to work, but I don't think that is the case anymore :-(

Quote:> I am running debian and using the computer as a server with Samba to
> share printing with windows machines.

Your best option might be to connect the printer up to the windows pc
and share it over samba.

Post by david walcrof » Sat, 17 Jun 2006 09:34:29

>> I need printer drivers for my Dell 540. I've had no luck finding
>> anything so far. If you can find anything or give me an alternative I
>> thank you.

> I'm afraid you're out of luck. Dell don't (and probably won't ever)
> support linux for their non-laser printers.

> Dell used to use lexmark as their supplier, so the lexmark drivers used
> to work, but I don't think that is the case anymore :-(

>> I am running debian and using the computer as a server with Samba to
>> share printing with windows machines.

> Your best option might be to connect the printer up to the windows pc
> and share it over samba.

Try the "http://www.linuxprinting.org/" it might help

   david

Post by joshbrain.. » Sat, 17 Jun 2006 13:07:08

> >> I need printer drivers for my Dell 540. I've had no luck finding
> >> anything so far. If you can find anything or give me an alternative I
> >> thank you.

> > I'm afraid you're out of luck. Dell don't (and probably won't ever)
> > support linux for their non-laser printers.

> > Dell used to use lexmark as their supplier, so the lexmark drivers used
> > to work, but I don't think that is the case anymore :-(

> >> I am running debian and using the computer as a server with Samba to
> >> share printing with windows machines.

> > Your best option might be to connect the printer up to the windows pc
> > and share it over samba.

> Try the "http://www.linuxprinting.org/" it might help

>    david

Thanks for the help.

1. Need HP 540 printer driver

Ghostscript is what you need.  It takes Postscript files and converts
them to "printer language"  You also need a set of programs that can
turn whatever you may have to Postscript.

There is another program called
"Magicfilter-1.2.tar".  Look for it at sunsite.  It makes setting up
a printer real easy.  With this you can just type "lp foo.gif" and it
will figure out how to do the required conversions.

--

2. linux nukes my clock

3. Help me please with Sendmail?

4. Bourne Shell: Changing Case

5. Need help on HP 540 Deskjet printer

6. Password requirement for guest account ???

7. Dell P90: help linux install on 540 Meg Drive

8. Newbie Needs Help: Dell printer driver

9. Are HP 540, 560C printers supported?

10. Adding HP deskjet 540 as a local printer to sol 2.4 SS10

11. printer HP Deskjet 540