Help: Linux, LiLo and Ontrack

Post by Klaus Haulri » Mon, 11 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Hi, I've got some problems regarding Lilo and Ontrack DiskManager/DDO

My hardware:
i486dx2, 20 MB, hda=Maxtor 1.6 GB EIDE, hdb=Western Digital 1.2 GB EIDE,
an AMIBIOS without LBA support.

I've been trying to set it all up as follows:
hda (Maxtor, 1.6 GB) contains 4 partitions:
  hda1:  14 MB boot-partition (ext2) containing the Linux kernel and misc.
         LILO boot- and map-files. This partition will be mounted as /boot
         in my Linux filesystem.
  hda2:  40 MB swap-partition for Linux.
  hda3:  450 MB FAT-partition for DOS/Win95
  hda4:  1 GB Linux main-partition (ext2), mounted as /

hdb (WD, 1.2 GB) contains 2 partitions:
  hdb1:  500 MB DOS partition created by Ontrack DiskManager 7.04 (Maxtor
         release).
  hdb2:  700 MB DOS (extended) partition by Ontrack DM.

My problem:
I tried to use LILO as boot-manager. I could easily make LILO boot my Linux
system (hda1) and my DOS/Win95 (hda3) system, but it couldn't boot the DOS
on hdb1. The reason for this must be the Ontrack DDO because it loads from
the MBR and LILO doesn't load the MBR from hdb.
My next try was to install Ontrack DDO in the MBR on hda and after loading
the MBR I wanted LILO to be started from the SuperBlock on hda1. The problem
is that DDO asks for a bootdisk and in this way the SuperBlock where LILO
has been stored will never get loaded.

Does anyone know how to 1) Make LILO load the MBR on hdb? - or 2) Make Ontrack
DDO continue loading the SuperBlock from hda1 after initializing itself?

I hope someone can help me...

Thanks
Klaus Haulrich

1. Help: Linux, LiLo and Ontrack

[...]

2. Newbie: Enlignment Install for Gnome

3. Need help on LILO and Ontrack Dynamic Drive Overlay.

4. configuring uucp?

5. Help: LiLo an Ontrack-Diskmanager

6. Unable to get apache up and running

7. Linux lilo work with OnTrack Disk Manager (DDO) ??

8. Help Please: Adaptec 2940UW does no load

9. LILO and OnTrack Disk Manager Woes

10. Ontrack DDO and LILO

11. Lilo and Ontrack in the MBR

12. lilo and Ontrack

13. LILO/Large IDE/Ontrack DiskManager/DOS