Concern: Do SCSI Target mode drivers exist for Linux

Concern: Do SCSI Target mode drivers exist for Linux

Post by Ingmar Graessli » Sat, 28 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Dear freaks,
I have following question:
Does Linux support SCSI target mode drivers and if yes for which SCSI
adapters ?

Background:
In the spec. SCSI was also inteded for the interconnection of computer
systems and not only for internal PC usage.
There are actually two problems that are currently not supported by SCSI

drivers:
1. When I tried to become initiator (on home build DSP emulation of a
tape drive) on the SCSI bus and send data to another targen (HD) the
AHA2940 got so irritatated that it crashed. I heared that also for cache

coherency all data has first to go via CPU memory and then to its
destination.
Things get worse if two machines need to be coupled via two AHA2940. If
one resets the bus the other rescans the bus, ...
Only solution to my knowledge: implement a target driver youself which
definitely is no easy task. Maybe these drivers already exist in source
or also a comercially available product. Both things would be of
interest to me.

Hopefully I get some feedback (please mention for which adapter).

Till the next hack,
I. Graesslin

Post by Chris Chiap » Tue, 31 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>I have following question:
>Does Linux support SCSI target mode drivers and if yes for which SCSI
>adapters ?

I believe someone did some work on this with the Adaptec controllers at one
point, but it's never really been a mass-appeal type thing.  With 100Mb
ether so cheap, using it as a network doesn't have much attraction and the
number of people who need this sort of thing for failover situations and the
like is very small.  There's a "Linux High-availability" project somewhere,
you might try tracking them down.

--

+------- ---  -- --  -

                                                    -  -- --  --- -------+

1. SCSI Driver that Supports SCSI Target Mode

  A co-worker is looking for a SCSI driver that will support SCSI target
  mode on a Unix transfer the data over a SCSI bus to a host system for
  further processing.  Please specify the board that is required as
  well.  If the driver is in source, it would be ideal.

  Email any replies.  And thanks in advance.

--
The UUCP Mailer

2. Monitor Display area is Bigger than Screen

3. driver put scsi bus to target mode

4. keymapping when re-directed

5. SCSI target mode driver to virtual disk

6. ATI Rage Fury

7. SCSI card and driver with target mode support

8. need Maintenance Disk for RS6000/560/7013 AIX4.xxx

9. Looking for Target Mode SCSI adaptor to work w/ Linux

10. SCSI target mode

11. Target mode SCSI.

12. SCSI Target mode

13. SCSI Target Mode