Major hardware change (mobo)

Post by Rinaldi J. Montess » Mon, 25 Feb 2002 11:23:26

After a few years with the Abit BP6 and it's inherent problems (ymmv)
I've decided to jump to the Tyan S2390 with the AMD T-Bird 1.4Ghz (uni)
CPU.  This appears on the surface to be a major configuration change.

I've been fiddling with hardware and compiling kernels for a couple of
years but have yet to do anything this drastic to the system.

All drives/isa/pci cards will remain the same.

My questions are:

What problems might I encounter going from an all Intel to an AMD/VIA
system?

Should I do a fresh install of RH(7.2) on a test partition and move the
kernel w/modules to my working partition or will a kernel built on the
intel hardware with the appropriate .config work just as well?

Or will booting from the install CD and doing an upgrade be adequate?
I have a pristine install of RH 7.2 on my test partition to try this
with.

Any guidance appreciated.

Rinaldi
--
Researchers in Texas have cloned a cat. Wait, is it legal to
clone a cat? Or is this a copycat crime? -OpinionJournal.com

1. Changed CPU+MoBo - Now X is streaky!

I recently changed my CPU and motherboard from DX4 to P120 but kept the
same ram etc.

Since then I get interference in the form of flashing streaks across
the screen under X, when typing and also when there's any serial
traffic (modem, mouse etc).

I haven't changed the software or any of the hardware apart from the
CPU/Mobo.

The video card is a Diamond Stealth 2001 DRAM (ARK chipset), and I am
using a cheapo 4-port serial card, and the moving the cabling appears
to make no difference.

Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks

Boik

p.s. There's also a 3-4mm ghosting which is there constantly which
doesn't move using xvidtune.

2. sometimes fail, sometime success to load gif on website..weird

3. Changing mobo question

4. Will rack kit for 450 fit in APC type racks

5. Major Hardware Problem!!

6. tomsrtbt 1.6.12 now w/ loadkeys, miterm, nc, rshd, busybox, etc.

7. Major Hardware Mystery

8. Kernel branches

9. Hardware Error - Major 8 - What is it?

10. MAJOR MAJOR PROBLEMS

11. NEED MAJOR HELP MAJOR FAST!

12. Need MAJOR HELP MAJOR FAST

13. block-major...char-major...probs